UPS Update

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
I talked to John from UPS. He was friendly & informative. I mainly got the air cargo info & not so much in terms of expedite info. They have what seems like a pretty similar set up to EGL in terms of how they run things. They have operations out of the bigger airports but not so much the regional ones.

Drivers are paid .90/mile plus 100% of fsc.

Workmans Crock Insurance is $125/month. If ya can find it cheaper elsewhere you're allowed to do so.

QC is $15/week. Satellite via cell phones may/may not be coming in the future. Right now he said there's no plans for it, but ya never know.

Vans must be 1997 or newer.

DH miles are .10/mile from wherever you're at. I'm not sure if that means even if ya have to go a short distance to pick up. The example that was used for me was if I was in Flint & had to pick up from Grand Rapids (about 100 miles away) for a delivery to Detroit, I'd get paid .10/mile from Flint.

If you get 2 or more runs on your truck, you're paid to the furthest point & anything on the way is paid a drop off charge. He said in a van it's usually about $50.

You're on your own for van insurance. They don't have a company group policy or anything of that nature.

NLM runs pay less, but they ask you if you'll take it before they bid on it. This way you're not in the position of them having the run & needing someone to take it.

No dedicated routes for Cargo Vans/Airport cargo. This would make sense. I didn't really expect any but figured I'd ask him anyway.

Business is about 50% auto freight. I didn't ask if this was for air cargo or expedite. My guess is expedite & that it's somewhat less for air cargo.

My take on it was that it's similar to EGL. Being at EGL I wouldn't switch to UPS, which is fine w/ them cuz they don't need any drivers in the Detroit area anyway. =) I will look into it again later on when I'll have to get a newer van to stay at EGL.

If you're tired of sitting in your truck day after day & wanna get more local, I'd look into either EGL or UPS. Ya kinda have to be near a major airport to make it work for ya. Otherwise there will be a lot of dead local miles. Still, my take on it is I'd trade a few extra dead miles for not having to sit in your truck for 2 days in some city 400 miles from home. I think Dayton is about as small as either of those companies are in.

Good luck to ya,
Danny

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Thanks Danny for the info.

I am wondering if they take on straight trucks and what is the cut off age for them?

Too bad they don't need vans in Detroit.

Stoff

Expert Expediter
For airport runs, there is no dead head pay. For surface runs, deadhead pay is 10 cents per mile after the first 50 miles.

jbrbears

Seasoned Expediter
We are taking on Straight trucks, depending on their location (home base) for example, florida is not a really good area for us (yet) but Indiana, Illinois and Ohio are. My recruiting folks are stating that flexibility is key in the process. As a dispatcher, I can tell you it's frustrating to have drivers turn down 50% of the runs we try to put them on. My experience is, you have to take some crappy runs to get the good ones. peace....;) p.s. For Illinois, the Chicago area is the hot spot, and Ohio, anything north of columbus....

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Boy, am I ever pie in the sky or something because I believe there should be no crummy runs. The customer attempting to book the load should be quoted a rate that makes it an acceptable run. I'd turn it around on them and their pay or their company profitability and tell them the owner driving the truck deserves adequate pay and profit just as much as they do. They could pay fairly or keep their stuff. That doesn't mean some drivers wouldn't still refuse but it wouldn't be because it's going to a wasteland with only 14cpm fsc. It would be going to a wasteland with 27cpm fsc plus a $50 bonus toward getting back to a decent area or it would be bankrupting some other company's driver. I'm sorry but saying you have to take the crummy loads to get the good loads is total krap.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for the info, here are a couple more questions.

First is florida good for any company?

Second will you take on a 1997 straight truck?

Third (yea I know I said a couple BUT...) will you take a stright truck in the Detroit area?

Fourth what are your rates and accessorial fees a straight truck?

Twin Pop USA

Expert Expediter
Any UPS Exp drivers out there who want to shine a little more light on your operation?? Curiousity level seems high out there...

Stoff

Expert Expediter
I started making runs for Emery Expedite, and business activity was good. Emery changed their name to Menlo Expedite and business levels started to drop. Menlo was purchased by UPS Supply Chain and the runs have dropped even more. Don't know why the van loads have been so slow expecially being located in the northern Ohio area. Hopefully the UPS Supply Chain sales and marketing management people have a plan to increase sales. Will hang on a little longer to see what happens.