Up Front Costs

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Let it be known...To drive for an O/O for Panther II Transportation-you must be able to cover your own expenses for the 1st (First) 3 Weeks-yes, three weeks.
-That is if you are on a 60/40 split deal with the O/O.-

That includes Fuel & Food for yourself...Figuring just for the fuel alone, at $500.00 per week, your talking about $1,500 for 3 weeks.

The O/O can front you some money, but not that much, so I just thought I'd mention that, as Panther II does not pay you for the loads you run your first week until three (3) weeks later.

They don't tell you IT COSTS YOU $2,000.00+ to get started even as a driver that is going to drive for an O/O.

I have to wonder how many other companies are like this?

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I don!t know about Panther or some of the other companies,but FDX CC will load your ComCard with 40% of the total revenue after you give the pick up information and depart a shipper. Example is if the trip pays $1000 to the truck you can get $400 put on your ComCard as an advance.

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
In response to your ad...

Lets just say a 775 mile trip at $1.30 per mile, that gives you about $1,000.00-which would give the driver the 40% advance up front he needed-with FedEx that is.

How many 750 mile trips are offered to solo drivers in a straight truck at FedEx Custom Critical?

Panther I've found limit's solo drivers to 500 miles a day.

Express-1 gives solo drivers 700 miles a day.

How many miles does FedEx Custom Critical give straight truck SOLO Drivers??

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Fedex limited solo drivers in straight trucks to 520 mi under the old HOS rules.I assume this has been bumped up to 570 with the extra hr drive time,although I havent heard officialy.Van drivers can go 700mi

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Under the new HOS rules FDX CC bumped the miles limitation for a single driver to 550.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I would call Panther and speak to a company prep about the way they pay. This sounds to me like this O/O is the one doing this 3 week deal. If in fact you do find out it is the O/O I'd turn his butt into the state. Reason being he is in fact treating you as an employee, but lying to you and the State by calling you an IC.

Hey Bob!!! Tell that owner to kiss you where the sun doesn't shine. Do yourself a favor and find someone that is going to respect you and appreciate you driving their van or truck.

Sandra! Bob is saying that some sleaze bag owner is not going to pay him for 3 weeks. He is telling Bob if he wants to drive his van he (Bob) will have to front all the bills for the first 3 weeks or until this guy decides to pay him, IF he gets paid at all!!!.

G

Maybe I'm confused but 3 weeks makes sense to me.

I'm in the process of putting a truck on with a company that will pay me, the owner, every two weeks. By the time I get the money from the company and in turn do the math and mail a check to my driver it will be close to 3 weeks. I realize direct deposit will make things go faster but you get the point.

I'm operating a van under my own authority and I've had to front myself 30 days. Companies don't pay before 30 days so its been tough but now that the cash flow has started I'll be just fine.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
> Are van drivers required to follow the hos rules. also do
>you have to keep a log book.
No unless you are carrying Hasmat loads

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If the company advances 40% when the load is picked up on the con-data card why isn't the owner of the van giving that 40% to the driver?

I can see the three week wait for the settlement but if I'm not mistaken don't the bigger expedite companies have weekly settlements?

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
>If the company advances 40% when the load is picked up on
>the con-data card why isn't the owner of the van giving that
>40% to the driver?
>
>I can see the three week wait for the settlement but if I'm
>not mistaken don't the bigger expedite companies have weekly
>settlements?

From my calling around, I know several companies do NOT do advances on the loads.. I can't remember if Panther is one of those or not.

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
First, it's not a van, it's a straight truck.

2nd, I did tell Panther what was going on-all they said was that they will have to talk to the O/O regarding this. Panther stated that some contractors set up different deals with the company.

3rd, Regarding Panther & advances...Panther advances somewhere around $330.00 per week to the driver I believe it is.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

I am going to be a contract driver-a driver that drives for an O/O. I do not think it is right for me to front myself $1,500.00 just in fuel right off the bat for my first 3 weeks. I'm out to make money, I realize you must spend money to make money, however I'm going on with an O/O to make money-thats what I'm intending to do anyways.

They (this O/O that my post is about) basically told me "look, I got a truck payment to make & if you don't have the money to get fuel in my truck for 3 weeks 'til you get paid then go away"...I read between the lines.

...Not even having barely $300.00 to my name in the bank, I'm not a rich man. However, I am a hard working man. I am doing construction work for a labor hall-work that I did about 6 years ago & didn't think I'd be doing again. I've driven busses thru 42 states & 2 Canadian Provinces, surely there is somebody out there that is willing to hire me on as a driver. I have no accidents or tickets, HazMat, & the way I see it if you can drive 45 feet pulling 10 to 20 feet then a 39 foot long truck is cake-trust me, if you can haul glass & you can haul people, you can haul darn near anything.

Tell you all what...if any of you know of an O/O in need of a straight truck driver, let me know on here. I'd even consider, to put them at ease 'til I get my checks in-if they pay for fuel the 1st three weeks then I'll take it from there. Or- on a 60/40 split-I'd go 40/60 split for the 1st 3 weeks, that is to say they take 60 & I take 40? just 'til I get my fuel in-I'm negotiable on that.
Gotta go for now, chat with ya'll soon, Later, Bob.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Bob,
I'd check in the classifieds here.. I just looked, and there are several people wanting drivers. I'm sure you can get a better deal.. I've driven for 3 different owners over the years for Roberts/FedExCC, and never had to front any money. They all gave me a Comcheck card, and as soon as I picked up my first load, I had most of my payment.

Dreamer

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
ok, I'm back. Panther II does not advance like FedEx CC does.

I realize that the owners of a truck are not obligated to tell you much of anything-although they sure make themselves look alot better when they do tell you about things available to you-esp. like advances-those are things that could get the truck movin' quicker and/or keep it moving.

The owners that wanted me to have money, they were close to me-so it was a very attractive deal/situation, but I did not know they wanted me to have essentially $2,000.00 in my wallet to start rolling...that is until we got down to the wire.

Right now, I'm thankful that I have experience in many things: heavy equipment, framing, plumbing, carpet, factory work, driving, & miscellanious facets of the construction & transportation industries.

A happy driver makes for a happy rig, a happy rig equals a happy owner.

G

I've given my driver a choice of 60% /40%, 40% / 60% or per loaded mile. I had him sign a form saying that if he choose the 60/40 he would be required to front the fuel money for "at least 2 weeks."

G

your own authority takes about 30 minutes max. on the DOT web page and less than $400. you fill out all the "paperwork" and in about 3 weeks you get a form with you MC # on it. You take that form to your insurance agent and the agent files you insurance and your off. Took me about 4 weeks from the time I had my van. Luckly I had the money but with the wait time from DOT/MC I had a van payment due before I ever could turn a wheel. And then it took 29 days from my first load to get paid. No one pays before 30 days. Now that the cash flow has started its not a problem but it was a little un-nerving to be so far in the hole just starting out.

Don't pay a company to file your paperwork for you. Its dummy proof on the DOT web page.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Your owner should be giving you a comdata card to advance load money on for fuel and food ect. That comdata card can be set for whatever percentage you and the owner agree on. This is inportant to ensure you have money to run on. If the owner refuses, I would look for another owner. He must think a driver looking for work is walking around with a winning lottery ticket. If that is his thinking than he is a complete idiot. Run the other way!

hotdog

Expert Expediter
hello i am also looking to drive for a fleet owner leased to panther, this guy wants teams and will be paying all expenses like fuel maintanance orientation hotel stay etc., pay will be 54 cents split to drivers, but he also states that my first pay check would not be sent for 3 weeks, must be a deal worked out between truck owners and panther. the guy im probably going to drive for is sending me a copy of the contract to peruise with my lawyer and if everything goes accordingly ill be out on the road as soon as possible, but just wanted to tell you that i think that truck owners and panther have some deal with them for 3 weeks, seems like truck owner gets 3 weeks of miles pay before they have to pay you.