Unnecessary News

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A former Cosby show actor spotted working as a cashier at Trader Joe's
I don't know this fellow's financial situation, but it appears he could be just working to make a living. Imagine that. :rolleyes:

This is an excerpt from the article:
Wearing an ID badge bearing his name, the former star wore a Trader Joe's t-shirt with stain marks on the front as he weighed a bag of potatoes.

There are stain marks on his shirt probably due to him working!!:mad:

The Cosby Show star Geoffrey Owens is spotted working as a cashier at Trader Joe's in New Jersey | Daily Mail Online

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I guess it always a little shocking to see someone from TV land working a "regular job". Definitely not the first, won't be the last. A news worthy story? Hardly. Interesting? Yeah, kind of. Hopefully, (although doubtful), he invested most of his money for a nice retirement payout. If he did, you just got rang up by a everyday millionaire ;)

2018-09-02_1236.png

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Fox picked up the story and tweeted it. And, IMHO, got rightly hammered for it. It's essentially nothing more then a celebrity sighting, but the Fox tweet came off like they were shaming him out something. Totally unnecessary.

Acting pays a lot less than most people think. Only a handful of big name stars make big bucks. Even movies, Chris Evans made just $300,000 for the first Captain America movie (but much more for the sequels). Gal Gadot made the same for the first Wonder Woman movie. She'll rake on the sequel, though.

But TV series, a principle lead might make $15,000 an episode to start, and if it gets picked up for a second season the salary will about double A secondary role in a series will get about $9,000 an episode, and minor characters will get a day rate of about $600 to $900 per day. Same with the guest stars, mostly the day rate.

Geoffrey Owens probably had about $3000 a month in Cosby royalties, until the reruns were pulled because of Cosby's legal troubles.

Reactions: muttly

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Fox didn't really mock him, they merely reported it. It's unnecessary news, so the fact that they reported it at all can, in the eyes of the FNC Haters, be construed as mocking. The Left can't let any opportunity pass when it comes to slamming Fox News.

When I saw the tweet, my thought was, "Why even report it? It's not news. They didn't even bother to play up the 'it's honest work' angle." Most actors who aren't staring in a movie or are a regular on a series have other jobs. Most artists, especially actors and musicians, can rarely support themselves full time with their art. Only a few are lucky enough to do that.

The thing about acting is, your visibility as an actor never really goes away, but the money sure does.

One thing is for certain, Geoffrey Owens is making more money at Trader Joe's than Bill Cosby is making.

Reactions: muttly