Union - Could it work, is it needed?

trhoades

Expert Expediter
Actually, in sorts, OOIDA does occasionally ask us to strike. I just read a thread where OOIDA is asking for a boycott of the Indiana toll road. While they are not asking us to walk out on our companies, in our industry that seems reasonably close.

In todays media age you only see and hear the bad news on anything, because good news just doesn't seem to get ratings. So with every bad thing you hear on Unions there are probably 10 or 20 good stories that go untold. Don't we see it everyday in the trucking industry? One driver cheats his log, drives for 30 hours and wipes out a family of 4, and we are all branded terrible, deviant, and unsafe. But how many times do hear about the driver who risks his life by rushing into a burning car to pull 2 people to safety?

I admit that I see quite a bit of loafing on the job whenever I deliver or pickup at a UAW shop. But isn't this more of a sign of the decline of pride and morals in this nation? Shouldn't we also blame the workers for getting all fat and happy on the job? I mean, can anyone say that there was not a different mind set in this industry not 20 years ago? No matter what industry you look at, union or non-union, there is a "Get as much as possible, while doing as little work as possible" attitude.

chuckwagon

Seasoned Expediter
Leo - for you to say the OOIDA would not ask us to 'go out on strike' is only your thoughts - how can you say they would never ask us to do that.
I would have no problem, locking my truck up, and backing up my brothers for the good of the cause.
The again, I am either stupid or I am willing to fight a little harder than you. (Not an act on you either Leo)
I am willing to suffer some now to improve things as we move forward but to say any group like the OOIDA would not ask us to walk out is false - in fact that is part of the power we should use.
I do find in funny that we are all willing to join and support the OOIDA and fight as a group but mention joining a union and fight as a group and all hell breaks loose.
Just because the OOIDA has had no 'unethical' problems to speak of in the past, corruption, etc like the unions of the past, does not mean also that given the increase of members and the all mighty dollar flowing in they couldn't turn sour either.
It all comes down to the quality, voice and ethics of the members - we govern our own leadership!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
>One major difference is that OOIDA isn't going to require
>members to go on strike. OOIDA isn't going to verbally and
>in some cases physically assault members who choose not to
>go on strike when told to either.
>.........snip........
>Leo Bricker

I did not say OOIDA won't ask for strikes now and then. They do and are doing so now re:Indiana toll roads. What I said is they will not summarily inform us we are to go on strike.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
OOIDA won't be asking for any kind of strike. It is illegal for them to call for a trucking strike. If at any point it becomes a national issue with regards to security or the economy, OOIDA would be in violation of a whole host of federal laws.
A boycott of something is much different than an industry strike or shutdown.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

ATeam

Retired Expediter
There is a huge difference between OOIDA and a labor union. OOIDA is a professional association that truck drivers voluntarally join. OOIDA does what it can to determine the best interests of its membership and advocate for that. In every union I've been forced to join, it was just that...being forced and dues were extracted from my paycheck against my will. As someone who works hard and well for one's employer, the union worked against my best interests, not for it. I hated it when union people would pull me aside and say, "Don't work so hard. You are making the rest of us look bad."

Because OOIDA is a voluntary membership organization that does good things for truck drivers (I believe), I am a lifetime member of OOIDA and support it's PAC and legal funds with additional financial contributions. Unions that have forced membership are far less sensitive about delivering benefits that work for both the members and the businesses and regulators that the members have mutually-beneficial relationships with.

My guess would be that if the "Should OOIDA become a union?" question be put to the members, most of the independent owner-operators would quickly leave the organization. I know I would.

jaxtrucker

Seasoned Expediter
Newbie to Expediting, not new to trucking...That being said, correct me if you will, "Union"...the act of uniting or the the state of being united. Ladies and gentlemen, I find it very disheartening that you can't get 10 somewhat educated truck drivers to agree on what color the blue sky is, let alone be willing to stand together to say no to cheap freight!

There will always be people out there looking for an angle, to undercut the fellow driver, sometimes just to pay the fuel or maybe not. The shippers love this type of person, and who pays for it?

OOIDA is a great source of info, the Landline magazine is worth it's weight in gold. Free to all, please take advantage of it, you don't have to join. An informed driver can make better choices.

We don't need a UNION, we need to stick together and bring this industry up to our standards, not to the companys bank accounts.

Thanks for listening to my banter and have a safeday!

chuckwagon

Seasoned Expediter
I said I would and I did!

As of 2PM today I just completed my application, paid my dues and joined the OOIDA!

Once they do what they do and send me my membership number I will sign my post proudly with that membership!

Now, lets see if they can tolerate all my calls, emails and suggestions as I do not plan to stand by a be a passive member.

MTC

Seasoned Expediter
While some sort of organization could be useful, unionization is not the answer.

What would be of much greater value would be if contractors would realize and act as if they realized that the companies work for them and are paid by them, not the other way around, and started demanding that they be treated as such rather than being dictated to as if they were employees or naughty children.

As a consumer, the contractor should have a reasonable expectation that the services contracted and paid for will be provided in an efficient, professional and even-handed manner. On the other hand, if a contractor is willing to accept, in silence, shoddy dispatching, inept planning, insufficient freight levels, insulting freight rates, threats and/or coercion, they really have nobody to blame other than themselves.

There really is no need for a union. All that is needed is that contractors stand up for themselves and demand what they would expect when buying a pack of gum in a supermarket...that they receive what they pay for.