Ud 1800

Elijah

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Installed a 2016 hino engine in my 07 ud used my old pump and injecters when my truck sits after running coolant backs out the jug

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
First off is this a JO5 4 cylinder or a J08 6 cylinder? When you say you installed a 2016 engine in your 2007 UD do you mean exactly that? Was this a new shortblock engine purchased from a Hino dealer, or was this a engine removed from another truck and installed in your UD? I need to know what engine it is and what its out of before I can help you diagnose it. The more details you can provide the better. Thanks

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
So you installed a used, 2016 model year JO8 Hino engine in your 2007 UD 1800. You installed your old fuel pump and injectors. The engine only has 20,000 total miles on it and other than the pushing coolant out of the overflow at shutdown the truck runs good?

Elijah

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
JO8 6 cylinder had to do some changes the 16 engine had some parts I didn't need in my 07 ud but yeah I installed 16 j08 in a 07 ud the tranny worked too which I have a couple of questions about the tranny

Elijah

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Only about 100 miles about to put it on the road next week that's why in the earlier commemments I was trying to figure out why coolant was pushing back thru the over flow jugg

Elijah

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Also I no my original tranny was a 5 speed the tranny that came with the motor is a 2200rds which has 6 speeds will my ecu adapt to that tranny or do I have to have my ecu programmed for that tranny

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Also I no my original tranny was a 5 speed the tranny that came with the motor is a 2200rds which has 6 speeds will my ecu adapt to that tranny or do I have to have my ecu programmed for that tranny
I guess the TCM didn't come with the transmission? If you want 6th gear, you'll need to visit an Allison dealer. Expect them to be very weird about this, and for it to be fairly expensive.

Reactions: Hino123

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
There are a lot of variables invovolved here. The egr, egr cooling system, turbo and turbo control, water pump, intake are all different from the 16 enging to the 2007. The whole fuel system is different pump, rail,lines. Something in the back of my head is telling me the water pumps on the ud were different. I know the dipstick location, fan and fan clutch were. On the Hino overflow bottles they need to be installed in the correct position and the valve/hose that goes in the overflow needs to be there. I would check that first. Does it only push after the engine is shut off? I am not as familiar with the ud's as the Hino's yes the engine is the same but the oem stuff is not. If you could attach a few pics of the bottle that would be helpful. Also the 16 my engine may run at a higher pressure than the 07 ud engine. Is there a rating on the UD cap to compare to?

Elijah

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Ok i used my turbo my egr setup and my fuel injection set up and water pump and I think the ud caps are rated at either 12 or 13 pounds an it only leaks after the truck is shut off after about 5 minutes Hino123

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
Well your'e in uncharted terrority here, you essentially have a "frankenstein" engine. Not that this is a bad thing, I know UD has zero support for the older engines, and many guys have no choice but to buy a hino engine and swap parts over. Usually they perform the swap with a engine that was built in the same date range. I have never dealt with anyone who has used a engine that was 9 years newer. I also have limited experience with UD.
This is what im assuming you did, because I dont know how else it could be done. In order for this to work you must have removed your UD engine, stripped it to basically a long block minus the injectors. Then purchased a used 16 hino engine and trans, you would have had to essentially installed all of the old external components from your ud on it. The oil cooler is not compatable, the air compressor coolant lines and the egr coolant lines must have been changed. I have no issue with this but it creates a can of worms so to speak.
At this point I would eliminate the simple items first before we condemn a head gasket, or air compressor failure.

I would like to be 100% sure on the radiator cap pressure ill double chevk the hino spec for a 16my engine.
Its very curious that it only pushes after the engine is off. To eliminate the tank, and valve in the top of the overflow tank try this. Remove the line from the nipple that goes to the overflow tank, install a line into a clear water bottle, run the engine up to the temp it usually pushes coolant, shut the truck off and see if the water bottle fills up. If so how much coolant and does it appear to be contaminates with oil?
Where is there a small line from the egr coolet attached to the top of the radiator somewhere? This is the vent line for the EGR cooler and nees to be connected. Any pictures of the overflow tank, radiator, egr cooler and air compressor would be helpful in getting to the root cause of your issue. Thanks

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
I know your overflow tank looks different but does it have the same type of cap with two hoses attached to it?

Attachments

• IMG_9740.PNG
    IMG_9740.PNG
    797.9 KB · Views: 19

Elijah

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Looks like the culprit was and worn radiator hose clamp coming off the engine letting air in