Uber Freight

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
and yet with all that has gone on the last 5 yrs....many members hold out hope for some type of recovery?...IMO isn't happening...going to stay stagnant or get even worse....IMO again..expedite is now a part time income profession....unless you are willing to do 4-5,000 miles a week IF you can get that at what? .65-.75 a mile?..you are fooling yourself that that is a great rate...it stinks....
Have a great day...:)

Working poor ...

Sent from my VS987 using EO Forums mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: OntarioVanMan

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When you are on the clock driving for uber you are being covered under their policy

You sure about that? There have been a couple of Uber cars involved in injury accidents up here...and within weeks the insurance association started an information campaign saying Uber drivers and passengers were not covered...but... thats Ontario...everywhere is different and maybe they will (hopefully) do the trucking thing differently.

Really when you think about it...Sylectus was almost the first Uber..it allowed a lot of vehicles easy web based access to the freight that was out there. Without Sylectus...how many carriers would there really be today?

Reactions: NorthernBill

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I hope they can give uship a big wake up call... !! ;)

Looks like other companies are starting up that want to compete with uber.
Checking into this one currently for local work.

dayrunnerapp

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just think of all them cab owners that have bought their own plate for $000,000's and now Uber comes along , their business has been descimated as well... no one cares about the little ole cargo van.., there is no one home...

Now how many of you actually put away $$$ for your next van? Or you going to finance that one too when the time comes...

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just think of all them cab owners that have bought their own plate for $000,000's and now Uber comes along , their business has been descimated as well... no one cares about the little ole cargo van.., there is no one home...

Now how many of you actually put away $$$ for your next van? Or you going to finance that one too when the time comes...
Enjoying retirement I see

80de0901f30c2b12889579e226dd0ac0.jpg

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: jelliott

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've posted a few times on this. We won't have to worry very long...the self driving issues pretty much evaporate when there is no driver involved to get injured.

Soon, containers for self driving vans and trucks will be as ubiquitous as the 48x48 skid. All that's needed is an empty truck or van available. That's what Uber really wants, this hiring of people thing is just a stepping stone.
Attach5423_20170121_175425.jpg

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That is already investigated and over, it was ruled any current system would have made the same error. The safety record of auto pilot is already better than any human record.

The new "smooth" version of auto pilot is imminent. SAE level 3...SAE level 5 means we are redundant

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not sure about freight, uber didn't get where they are by being stupid. I'm guessing they follow the law pretty close.
That might be true, but they have yet to make a profit.

https://www.quora.com/Is-Uber-company-profitable

How long will the investors continue to invest is my question.
I wouldn't be too concerned about Uber freight. They can't even pay their drivers in the state of NY. $45 million shorted to their drivers. Sounds like a problem to me.

Reactions: ntimevan

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force

My next van will be a cloud in heaven, oh wait, it's me so thinking may be much warmer place

Sent from my XT1635-01 using EO Forums mobile app

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Enjoying retirement I see

80de0901f30c2b12889579e226dd0ac0.jpg

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app
LOL no bitterness here just a blunt opinion that people don't like to read about ;)

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Transfix | FTL freight brokerage for shippers and carriers also tapping into the uber freight approach

I hope Shiply comes to the US and starts shaking up companies, competition gets things moving!

I'm sitting in idle mode now with no work until things change. No thanks to .75 a mile, I've already seen the country in a Sprinter :) My focus is on local courier work in a car. I'll start the Sprinter up if I need a paid vacation.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Way to much competition now that's why rates are in the tank

You could be right to a certain degree but I'm not sure I complety buy that. I don't work in the office but I listen in and talk to office workers daily (shipping clerks)
What I hear a lot of is they can't get enough trucks when needed. I Also hear as I stated in the past that shipping cost have skyrocketed but yet rates to the trucks are down, that leads me to believing that the money is lost between the shipper and the carriers/brokers. Carriers/brokers are charging more to the shippers and boosting their profits but continue to tell us to control our cost to be more effective.
Rates are in tank because carriers have boosted their profits on the backs of the trucks. Name one carrier that has given the nickel or dime back from the hit we took in 2007 (I think)
All company perks and expansi
ons are in place and moving foward, but yet the trucks can't even pull in a nickel for cost of living adjustments. Don't think for a second these CEO aren't laughing their a** off as they tee that ball up or order up another drink on your dime.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

You could be right to a certain degree but I'm not sure I complety buy that. I don't work in the office but I listen in and talk to office workers daily (shipping clerks)
What I hear a lot of is they can't get enough trucks when needed. I Also hear as I stated in the past that shipping cost have skyrocketed but yet rates to the trucks are down, that leads me to believing that the money is lost between the shipper and the carriers/brokers. Carriers/brokers are charging more to the shippers and boosting their profits but continue to tell us to control our cost to be more effective.
Rates are in tank because carriers have boosted their profits on the backs of the trucks. Name one carrier that has given the nickel or dime back from the hit we took in 2007 (I think)
ons are in place and moving foward, but yet the trucks can't even pull in a nickel for cost of living adjustments. Don't think for a second these CEO aren't laughing their a** off as they tee that ball up or order up another drink on your dime.

Which is exactly competition...too many trucks around saying yes to whatever rates. Yes...lots of brokers and carriers doing well because there are too many trucks/vans available to say yes that freight.

As for having trouble finding trucks....it could be like the "driver shortage crisis"...there isn't a shortage of drivers it's a shortage of drivers who want to sign up for the awful way a big truckload carrier (like Swift etc) treats people. If a shipper wants to get 3 skids to Laredo and they call their 3PL who calls a carrier who then calls a "partner carrier" who then washes it through their own brokerage division, then puts in on Sylectus for 60 cents...and no one bites...they call that a truck shortage....even if the other 100 loads they had that day got covered...they'll remember that one and complain about a shortage..when really...it was the fact that the load became very unattractive because of the amount of fingers in the pie..(all in the name of "efficiency").
And sadly...in the above scenario...someone likely would have taken the load at 60 cents anyways.

Either way...Uberizing or U-Shiping the industry will only do one thing...completely turn trucking into a commodity and drive overall rates to the actual truck...down.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Another reason to run percentage and ask to see every ticket as it is your right to... ! Its all about what they can bring home in the office, you gotta get behind the mentality and realize yes they want to extort cheap labor and yes all they care about is $. FUEL MPG regulation, food production you name it any industry is concerned about $$ greed is the name of the game and always will be, take a guess why a employee at uship goes home with $80k a year and why a independent contractor driver takes home $25k? Because the system wasn't set up for the low man on the food chain to make it this is America wake up and go to work and ignore the what is going on its all a brain washing to keep you working. I ask myself how I can beat the odds almost everyday. Hard work hasn't paid off so I'm fishing for new ideas.

Last edited: