Type 2 diabetes Question

Benzoid

Seasoned Expediter
I've been thinking about getting into the business for a while. I was thinking Van only because I didn't know if I could get a DOT Physical card and a CDL.

I'm hearing more and more about truckers with Type 2 Diabetes (not on shots, only oral meds)

Does anyone know how hard it will be for me to get a medical card? What are the requirements to keep the card (A1C tests, blood sugar numbers, etc...)

Also, a side question... Is it better to be a Solo Van O/O or a Solo C or D truck O/O ? I don't see me as being a good team member (even with my wife ) :)

Thanks!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Type 2 is no problem...as long as your doctor checks the box...."Under Control" There are no "daily/monthly" requirements as in blood tests....
I think you are in the 1 year program for physicals however..

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
Type 2 is no problem...as long as your doctor checks the box...."Under Control" There are no "daily/monthly" requirements as in blood tests....
I think you are in the 1 year program for physicals however..

Correct OVM, But I Have Type 2 and I Have a Two Year Med Card.. I Guess It's Up to The Doctor to Decide how Long your Med card is for???? I'm Not Sure.. Matter of Fact Mine is Up in a Couple of Months so I Guess I'll see if the Powers That be Changed it in Anyway.. Could be a 1 Year on this next one if they did! :D

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Correct OVM, But I Have Type 2 and I Have a Two Year Med Card.. I Guess It's Up to The Doctor to Decide how Long your Med card is for???? I'm Not Sure.. Matter of Fact Mine is Up in a Couple of Months so I Guess I'll see if the Powers That be Changed it in Anyway.. Could be a 1 Year on this next one if they did! :D

I think you are right I'd have to check with the long form...it is discretion or judgment by the Dr...on the time period....we have a 1 yr on our card.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Here is what I have to have EVERY YEAR.

I have to have a record of my blood sugar, A1c test results if I had one recently and a letter from my GP/IN saying I am under treatment for type 2.

I get a lecture every year about controlling it and the song and dance about what happens if I don't. This happens at different places irregardless and my doctor does Pilot medicals all the time but won't do one for me.

Benzoid

Seasoned Expediter
Here is what I have to have EVERY YEAR.

I have to have a record of my blood sugar, A1c test results if I had one recently and a letter from my GP/IN saying I am under treatment for type 2.

Greg, What are the limits they are looking for in your A1c / Sugar tests? How in control do you have to be to pass the medical?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I have been told by different inspectors anything from 7.5 to 9 is something to be concerned with while one doctor say 10 will put you off the road.

See the problem with the A1c test is how the tests are done, every lab is different and every lab results should include the range. One lab will flag a 7 as high while another will flag a 9 as high, so always look at the results and then the range of any lab tests - not just A1c.

How much in control?

Well that depends on the person. My Mother-in-law is a binge sugar eater, she is a type 2 and her A1c is 12 but her doc says too old for insulin but her doc is too ignorant.

Me, I can't have fruits or some veggies and depending on where the potato is grown, I can't have potatoes. Weird. I have zero sugar if I can help it but it is those carbs that if you can control, with the sugar of course, then you can get through.

The key is to document things, like diets and blood sugar readings. I used to have a meter where I could download my results and then plot it on a chart but now.... well.... never mind.

The other factor that everyone seems to miss is stress. If you are stressed out to pay the bills or what ever, it will screw with your blood sugar readings.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Have a problem with the carbs...body seems to react very negatively to any carbs...blood sugar will tempararily spike and then drop back down....one little potatoe thats all it takes or 1 slice of bread....everyone's metabolizism is different...

if we grew our own potatoes is there somewhere to get them tested for carb levels?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Yea, you eat them. That's the best way to test. I would plant different varieties to find out which one works. Taters are easy to grow.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yea, you eat them. That's the best way to test. I would plant different varieties to find out which one works. Taters are easy to grow.

just read a story about a new variety...requires a short season and withstands extreme temperature changes well....would suit SD well....

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I don't know about needing something for that mild climate. I have some relatives up in a town called Neebing who grow all kinds of potatoes. They also throw rocks at Isle Royal.

bigshow345

Seasoned Expediter
Type 2 all you have to do is watch what you eat. Someone with type 2 is like say a car getting bad gas mileage. Your body burns through the sugar faster than someone who is not type two. When you feel your self getting woozy usually what I do because I am a type 2 is I will munch on like some reecees or down a couple bottles of pepsi to get my sugar back up.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Each person is different, I am hypersensitive to sugar, especially the cr*p sweeteners in pop and other packaged food. I have to be very careful to know what is in the thing or I have problems.

I haven't had pop in such a long time, the last time was with aspartame and let's say I can't have that either.

mojoblues

Seasoned Expediter
DOT physical

on your DOT pyshical you are required to take a **** test. It checks for excessive sugar in the urine. If it tests high they will tell you to go see your doctor..You can buy the test sticks at most pharmacies. I think they are called dyasticks ..comes in a tube with a lot of test sticks..you can test yourself before going into the urine test to see if your high in sugar. If you eat a hostess apple pie like I did once before the test you may test too high. Your supposed to be tested on fasting blood sugar levels....Once you are found to be diabetic you will need to spend a lot of money on test supplies and drugs like metformin and if you have to take insulin shots you will not be allowed to drive. There is a place called tree of life in Arizona that can teach you how to get your blood sugar under control.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
In addition to the tree of life (which uses live food a.k.a. sprouts), Dr Barnard, who has been on PBS (one of two things good about it) and has a book out Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes which is also about a low fat Vegan diet. I know two people who followed his program and dumped weight and lowered their blood sugar.

The question is if diabetes is reversible, and there is a great weight reduction, will the DOT recognized you as no longer being diabetic?

I

impaler

I've been thinking about getting into the business for a while. I was thinking Van only because I didn't know if I could get a DOT Physical card and a CDL.

Wait...cargo van drivers don't need a DOT physical? I thought they did.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
If your own Dr does tha DOT physical,and shows that your sugar is under control,you will be fine.Being type 2,your not on insulin,if you were you would be disqualified from driving a commecial vehicle over the road.
My Dr wants me at least a 7,this is under 150 on your glucose meter
I take pills,and if I watched ny diet,which I dont,I'd be off the pills.
Love my Lobster,and Banana Cream pie
Last night had dozzen oysters on half shell,Bowl of the best Gumbo I've ever had,and Crawfish pasta,in a cream sauce
Didn't bother to check my sugar numbers.

dogshed

Seasoned Expediter
Type 2 all you have to do is watch what you eat. Someone with type 2 is like say a car getting bad gas mileage. Your body burns through the sugar faster than someone who is not type two. When you feel your self getting woozy usually what I do because I am a type 2 is I will munch on like some reecees or down a couple bottles of pepsi to get my sugar back up.

Not exactly. Type two diabetes is where sugar builds up in the blood because the cells can't bring it in to be used. I would guess drinking a Pepsi brings more sugar into the cells by driving up your blood sugar and you get a buzz off the caffeine.

Type two is caused by basically wearing out the cell receptors for insulin during years of bad diet and little exercise. Your islets produce insulin, but your cell receptors aren't sensitive to it.

Type one also results in excess blood sugar, but it is caused by not having insulin to signal the cells to bring in the sugar.