Tval- br units, help please?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
So it really seems like if you have a team willing to run up and down the east coast, then the BR units would do okay. Just not out west, definitely not with a solo

The team BR people who we have talked to out this way seem happy with what they are doing. I have no clue about out there. I do believe, at least it is my opinion, that the BR units should be able to make it on the specialized freight alone. I don't think they can be used for much more out of that niche.

We area team. I can't speak too much to solo work. Again, in my opinion, team is the way to go, even out there, with any size truck, dry or reefer.

cannedmeat27

Expert Expediter
I drive a br unit solo. I have plenty of freight offers. I seem to get more surface offers than wg. My biggest issue is there may be lots of dh with the wg offers just because there's so few of us.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I was very interested a few years ago when they weren't even in the fleet yet. I am in Houston. I presumed between one of the world's most important medical centers as well as other major medical centers in Dallas and San Antonio and several major military medical centers that one could be kept fairly busy just around Texas. I'm a solo and in spite of being a fleet owner already couldn't ever get a serious conversation with them about adding a BR. I don't know what the current situation is but don't know if a solo can get an audience much less an initiation.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Since the three that are for sale are 08s one could think that could be the life expectancy as a T-Val unit.

I'd have to know how long they can stay in the fleet before considering one.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Besides the sprinter life span it would be interesting to know how the insulation holds up. All insulation breaks down over time, wonder how long for those things?

rymilburn

Active Expediter
According to someone in Green, they will make exceptions for Vehicle's up to 10 years old to stay with the fleet, sometimes longer for TVAL units. So saying its got about another 3 1/2 years of running. You could have one paid off in less than a year if your running right. The one guy I talked to said that a solo run's his, and after he does the book's his profit as an O/O is right around 40K. Not that big of a profit, but he claims to have a fleet out there of 10 of them. Again, not huge profit, but its nothing to turn a cheek at either. It might work for some, it may not work for others. Its either a BR unit or a B unit to make sure that I want to continue being an O/O..... BR units have a better sleeper built into them, even though anyone can build a sleeper just into about anything.

denny2010

Expert Expediter
If I were to come back to FedEx cc . I would try a BR unit. I had chance before I quit. Should have done it. I seen pay and paperwork backing the money to be made. If you have a BR sprinter then you should go for it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums mobile app

rymilburn

Active Expediter
You know what is interesting, the three BR units that are out there on the classifieds....are still there and unsold. I am pretty confident that they are overpriced, that's why they are not selling. Good Luck to them

zorry

Veteran Expediter
the Reefer has had some issue's maintaining temp.It failed TVAL testing three times, and Fed-Ex said no more. End of story on that.

I believe after a year you can try again.
I think TK is doing better on correcting this problem.
You're not the only TK in this position..

Does anyone know of a BR doing well west of the Mississippi ?
Do BR solos miss a lot of opportunities to teams over security issues ?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Trucking/expediting is a good way to retire with a small fortune, provided you begin with a large fortune.

OP said earlier that his friend only nets 19% of the gross.
5 DR TVal units ( common fleet size) X $300,000 per year ( common yearly gross) X 19% net = $285,000.

Let's say you hire crappy drivers and they only average $200,000 per truck that should put you near $190,000 to stay at home and put up with 5 teams. And I'd be looking to upgrade drivers that only did $200,000 in my TVal trucks.
I'd have a pay system where the driver got a bigger cut at $200, $250, and $300,000.

I feel little sympathy for fleet owners.

interstategar

Veteran Expediter
I only talked to 1 BR unit based in Miami. He said half the freight he gets is non reefer. I would ask a recruiter if they can produce real numbers for the BR's on the west coast. When Fedex decides to put on units they figure more what their customers need, and not how profitable you will be. The customer is number 1 at Fedex, the O/O isn't their number 1 concern. Be very careful before you spend the money for BR unit.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
You can't charge a dry shipper a BR rate. There will be cases where you could say all we have is a BR, if you're willing to pay his rate. Sometimes it will work. Often times not.

It's much easier to get O/O's than it is to get customers.

The only way I would buy a BR would be if I lived near 1-95, north of Wilmington.

If I was thinking of buying one I would offer my services to fleet owners. If most would put you in one where you live , OK.
If they say it won't work, then I'd think it wouldn't.
Who would know better than a present owner ?