TV on the road

Heffard

Seasoned Expediter
I am considering putting a TV in my cargo van. I was wandering what type of service is being used by drivers? Sat TV, FLO TV or small digital antenae?
What service do you use? How do you like it?

Thanks, for your input.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I am considering putting a TV in my cargo van. I was wandering what type of service is being used by drivers? Sat TV, FLO TV or small digital antenae?
What service do you use? How do you like it?

Thanks, for your input.
If you have a laptop, you can get a digital TV receiver from any electronics store. The picture is superior to an actual TV. They're about $100, maybe a little less. Just run the installation disk, plug the gizmo into your USB, attach the small antenna to it, and away you go.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Does it require an internet connection?
Nope. Pulls the signals right out of the air via the antenna. There are a lot more signals than you think, too. Since going digital, stations now have more than one broadcast. If they broadcast on channel 26, they might have comedy on 26.1, and drama on 26.2, and news on 26.3, etc. I was surprised at how many channels I was finding. If you have Windows 7, there's some software for this built in.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Keep in mind that you do have to have a decent antenna, mounted on the roof of the truck of van is preferred, but if you're in close enough one inside the can might be OK. Also, the USB and other external receivers use the laptop's CPU to render the video, so you need a computer with a little oomph. I tried USB digital for a while, and it works, but not so much in the boonies.

The television is a cheap-ish Sanyo LCD HD TV. I have the Dish Network, and I use a VuQube V-10 satellite TV dish and receiver in the van. America's Top 200 with HBO and Starz. For local channels on the road (ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX) I get that from MyDistantNetworks using the Chicago HD local channels. It's gnarly.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Here's a couple of pictures of the VuQube V10 a friend of mine has on the back of his sleeper on his Dodge 4500.

Says he loves the hell out of it. Also says it picks up channels from both Russia and China. (Haha - Just kidding! :D )

Attachments

• satelite%20005.JPG
    satelite%20005.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 59
  • satelite%20006.JPG
    satelite%20006.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 55

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
As you can see from Brisco's pics, these things are designed to be mounted on a Qualcomm bracket. There is also a ladder bracket for RV's with ladders around back. Any place that sells the VuCube will also sell the brackets.

They don't sell the brackets that vans use for the Qualcomms, though, and I couldn't find one quickly and easily. So, my auto mechanic fabricated one in a few minutes. Welded 4 strips of metal together and drilled the holes. Mounting was done using those rubber expanding rivets, same as the one that they mount side mirrors onto trucks and buses (Internationals, anyway).

The Sprinter is 8.5 feet tall up there, and the VuQube is 17.5 inches (and 16 inches wide, and weighs in at 10.5 pounds), and with the bracket it comes to an additional 18 inches on top of the roof.

With the V-10, the only cable necessary is the coax cable, and the dish gets its power from that. The V-20 (auto-locating the satellites after parking) and the V-30 (in-motion tracking) both require a separate power cord. The coax enters the van right there through a hole drilled into the roof.

IMG_0596a.jpg

IMG_0598a.jpg

IMG_0599a.jpg

aileron

Expert Expediter
Ken, have you noticed any decrease in fuel mileage after you installed that thing on top?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I just got an email saying FLO-TV now comes with 12 months service included with the purchase.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Ken, have you noticed any decrease in fuel mileage after you installed that thing on top?
You betcha. :D

There's a little hit, and when it's windy you can really feel it. Especially when you're driving into a 40-50 MPH wind. When that happens, I back it down, 'cause I'd hate for that to rip off the roof. I just mounted it straight to the roof, but a better way would be to put a plate inside in the ceiling for more bracing. I've got a ceiling that would have had to be taken down to mount a plate (metal or 1/4" or 3/8" wood, either would work). But it's holding fine, no problems, and I've been in some nasty winds out west.

It's actually relatively aerodynamic. Airtabs might help, but in this case, with the QC bubble right behind it, any difference would probably be very small. So there's s small percentage hit on the mileage, but it's worth it. I haven't noticed any significant difference, like a MPG or anything like that. At most it's probably less than .1 MPG. Like I said, it's worth it being able to have TV out here, especially when you're stuck someplace over a long weekend.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The only thing to be careful of with HULU or anything else is if you use an aircard and have a monthly limit. Watching TV shows or movies can use up all your time and start running the bill up if you aren't on an unlimited use plan.

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
The only thing to be careful of with HULU or anything else is if you use an aircard and have a monthly limit. Watching TV shows or movies can use up all your time and start running the bill up if you aren't on an unlimited use plan.

Oh I agree. My friend ran up his quick and had over $300 in data charges. He went unlimited. I just got a HTC droid phone from Verizon where I can connect internet from the phone thru to my laptop. I also got unlimited.

14Wheeler

Seasoned Expediter
I also got unlimited.

Unlimited plans ended over a year ago.
I think most all (deffinatly Verizon) carriers enacted
A 5 gig cap. Even the old unlimited plans had a cap of
Sorts buried in the contractual TOS.

Unlimited Data Plans and Features (such as NationalAccess, BroadbandAccess, Push to Talk, and certain VZEmail services) may ONLY be used with wireless devices for the following purposes: (i) Internet browsing; (ii) email; and (iii) intranet access (including access to corporate intranets, email, and individual productivity applications like customer relationship management, sales force, and field service automation). The Unlimited Data Plans and Features MAY NOT be used for any other purpose. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video programming or games; (ii) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine–to–machine connections or peer–to–peer (P2P) file sharing; or (iii) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated*data connections. This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services and/or redirecting television signals for viewing on laptops is prohibited. A person engaged in prohibited uses, continuously for one hour, could typically use 100 to 200 MBs, or, if engaged in prohibited uses for 10 hours a day, 7 days a week, could use more than 5 GBs in a month.

For individual use only and not for resale. We reserve the right to protect our network from harm, which may impact legitimate data flows. We reserve the right to limit throughput or amount of data transferred, and to deny or terminate service, without notice, to anyone we believe is using an Unlimited Data Plan or Feature in any manner prohibited above or whose usage adversely impacts our network or service levels. Anyone using more than 5 GB per line in a given month is presumed to be using the service in a manner prohibited above, and we reserve the right to immediately terminate the service of any such person without notice. We also reserve the right to terminate service upon expiration of Customer Agreement term.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
There's the Mobile Broadband plan for the Aircard, and then there's the Unlimited Plan for Smartphones (the Droid, Blackberries) which really and truly is unlimited. They are different plans. Verizon will soon (if they haven't already in the last week or so) offer a Mobile Broadband Connect tethering option for Droids (and other smartphones), where you end up paying an extra $30 on top of the $29.99 unlimited data plan for smartphones, giving you essentially an Aircard Mobile Broadband plan, but with a 5 GB cap.

Verizon does not have an unlimited plan for the HTC or any other Droid where you can connect to the Internet from the phone to the laptop. That's called tethering (whether you use a USB cable or Bluetooth). If you bought the Mobile Broadband Connect data plan (tethering option) for the extra $30, then it's capped at 5 GB.

If you are using PDAnet (or are rooted) and tethering, you are using the phone's unlimited data plan, and it is really and truly unlimited, but be very, very aware that the contract agreement explicitly says you cannot tether the phone to a laptop to gain Internet access for the laptop. If they catch you (and if you routinely go over 5GM a month they will), then you will be billed at the regular per-megabyte rate, which I think is 20 cents per megabyte (MB, not GB) over the 5gig cap, and it's retroactive for any previous months where you've gone over. I have an Aircard and a Droid, and I tether the Droid using PDAnet. But I'm careful not to in-you-face it to Verizon with the tethering. If you're a Hulu freak or a torrent fiend, beware. Too many people think unlimited data on the phone means it's OK to tether unlimited, and have found out otherwise.

From the Verizon Terms and Conditions:

Unlimited Smartphone and BlackBerry Plans and Features
These WirelessEmail plans and features cannot be used: (1) for access to the Internet, intranets or other data networks except as the device’s native applications and capabilities permit, unless you subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect; or (2) for any applications that tether your device to laptops or personal computers other than for use of the Wireless Sync or the BlackBerry solution, unless you subscribe to Mobile BroadbandConnect.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It pretty much sounds like the only truly safe $ way to watch TV etc. is to have a J or T/A or whatever wifi option.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It pretty much sounds like the only truly safe $ way to watch TV etc. is to have a J or T/A or whatever wifi option.

Leo..I watch my usage pretty close..a typical TV show is around 200-250 megabytes...the J is promoting a happy hour at the moment between 9-10 am...I'll cozy up to a Panera or starbucks for a couple hours and catch up on my shows...

I've also been known to use the 5$ coupon J issues from your fuel usage...and buy a days worth of internet

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The J and TA Internet is GB capped, too. Most have speeds so slow, at least for vans out in front of the J, that watching streaming video is a chore. Usually at the J when you start downloading large files or streaming video, after about a minute it automatically gets cut down to about 250kbit, which makes viewing many video stream impossible, since they require anywhere from 384k to 500k on the low end of things. Within a month or so the J's Internet will be ported over to the Pilot's, anyway.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The J and TA Internet is GB capped, too. Most have speeds so slow, at least for vans out in front of the J, that watching streaming video is a chore. Usually at the J when you start downloading large files or streaming video, after about a minute it automatically gets cut down to about 250kbit, which makes viewing many video stream impossible, since they require anywhere from 384k to 500k on the low end of things. Within a month or so the J's Internet will be ported over to the Pilot's, anyway.

Suppose I should have included where there is a strong enough signal...;) which is very few, to support streaming....