Turtle needs help!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
State, federal officials join forces to save Custer State Park turtles

In hiking and biking Custer State Park the past two summers, Shanna Miller noticed a disturbing traffic accident trend near Stockade Lake.

Turtles were creeping across Highway 16A, bound for Bismarck Lake. Tourists sometimes would stop to help the Western painters and occasional snappers. But many times there were no rescuers, and a slow pace and a hard shell does not guarantee protection on the road.
««««««««»»»»»»»»
turtle.gif

««««««««»»»»»»»»

Miller, a wildlife biological science technician for the Black Hills National Forest, doesn't know how many turtle fatalities there have been. But she found that state park and Department of Transportation officials shared her concerns -- for the turtles and their would-be rescuers, groups that were venturing where they shouldn't be in busy summer traffic.

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
State, federal officials join forces to save Custer State Park turtles

In hiking and biking Custer State Park the past two summers, Shanna Miller noticed a disturbing traffic accident trend near Stockade Lake.

Turtles were creeping across Highway 16A, bound for Bismarck Lake. Tourists sometimes would stop to help the Western painters and occasional snappers. But many times there were no rescuers, and a slow pace and a hard shell does not guarantee protection on the road.
««««««««»»»»»»»»
turtle.gif

««««««««»»»»»»»»

Miller, a wildlife biological science technician for the Black Hills National Forest, doesn't know how many turtle fatalities there have been. But she found that state park and Department of Transportation officials shared her concerns -- for the turtles and their would-be rescuers, groups that were venturing where they shouldn't be in busy summer traffic.

I would have stopped the last time through but I couldn't...I had a "wounded Knee" yuck yuck....

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
"Mommy, my turtle is dead," Little Johnny sorrowfully told his mother, holding the turtle out to her in his hand.

The mother kissed him on the head, then said," That's all right, dear. We'll wrap him in tissue paper, put him in a little box, and have a nice burial ceremony in the back yard. After that, we'll go out for an ice cream soda, and then get you a new pet..." Her voice trailed off as she noticed the turtle move. "Little Johnny, you're turtle is not dead after all."

"Oh," the disappointed Little Johnny said, "can I kill it?" :D

DougTravels

Not a Member
Ohh this thread isn't asking for assistance from mental health professionals for an EO member?

Well that's totally different, Nevermind-Emily Litella:eek:

Also funny posts Letzrocket, Turtle and Yesteryear