Try Hours

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We love it here they have ran us all over the US. Easy to work with. Yes you will have some querks about some loads but that's the business. Wished we would have came here sooner.

After being with them for almost two months I can say that I'm not happy at all, and I believe that it was a huge mistake to put some of my trucks with them. Beside their never-ending charges, the pay rate it's not at all what I was told ($1.00-$1.05/mi promised vs $.70-$.90/mi in reality) and the mileage is under the minimum they told me. I know it's (still) slow, but it seems that they're slower than anyone else.

sbarrett

Expert Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
Fleet Owner
After being with them for almost two months I can say that I'm not happy at all, and I believe that it was a huge mistake to put some of my trucks with them. Beside their never-ending charges, the pay rate it's not at all what I was told ($1.00-$1.05/mi promised vs $.70-$.90/mi in reality) and the mileage is under the minimum they told me. I know it's (still) slow, but it seems that they're slower than anyone else.
Opel, I understand your frustration..I don't think this is just a TH issue. We are ALL feeling the crunch..from rates to mileage. Speaking as an owner, I don't think you made a mistake by going to TH, I think you would find that almost anywhere. My guys are sitting and my dispatch is begging for loads! "How low can you go?" seems to be the norm now...ugh, it's very frustrating! I really hope it gets better for you buddy.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Opel, I understand your frustration..I don't think this is just a TH issue. We are ALL feeling the crunch..from rates to mileage. Speaking as an owner, I don't think you made a mistake by going to TH, I think you would find that almost anywhere. My guys are sitting and my dispatch is begging for loads! "How low can you go?" seems to be the norm now...ugh, it's very frustrating! I really hope it gets better for you buddy.

I realize that it's slow as slow can be, but when I have to put money from my own pocked to pay the drivers because they have so many charges that cannot be covered not even by the driven miles, TH is no longer a viable option

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What!? Why not Direct Deposit into your Bank account thru Routing Number?
It truly is still slowish. Nothing yet here and I dropped yesterday Louisville around 6pm.
With Diesel being $2.35-2.59 I'm saving a minumum of more than $100 in my Pocket per week as compared to 1.5-2 yrs. ago when in Chicago I was paying $4.25.
Trying to eek out the Positives here. Sorry you and your drivers are struggling. It truly is bare bones out here.

Last edited:

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What!? Why not Direct Deposit into your Bank account thru Routing Number?

I asked the same question, why do I have to get charged every week another $5 for deposits through Comdata. The answer was short, "because they're working only through Comdata". So, it's some sort of "love it or leave it"...

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I asked the same question, why do I have to get charged every week another $5 for deposits through Comdata. The answer was short, "because they're working only through Comdata". So, it's some sort of "love it or leave it"...
Ok. It's just the way they want to manage payments and run their business. Yep, their choice. You're exactly correct, Love it or Leave it. That's how it is working at a McDonald's, a Bank, Lowe's, really anywhere...it's their Company, their Rules, their Policies.
So, it's a $5 charge weekly to get paid? $20 per month, $240 annually.
Choices, at least in this Country we have Some Choices. Fortunately I save what, $200/month by not being a smoker. I may have a glass of wine or a beer once every 3 Months. So, I'm saving there and in visits to my Doctor.
Being a female in other Countries, I couldn't/wouldn't be able to be Single, speak with anyone I choose, have my Motorcycle and Class A CDL Endorsements or even drive a CAR let alone wear the clothes I choose. OR HAVE A JOB! People are starving to death or suffering with horrific disease without proper medical care...I have to keep things in perspective to see how TRULY FORTUNATE I AM. If I need to look at all of my Monthly Bills again and adjust down, like I did last year in order to feed myself and Maggie then I shall. I always have options fortunately. I'm so thankful I CAN work, and walk and see and don't have a terminal disease.
I honestly wish you much luck in your working decisions and financial adjustments. You'll figure it out and all will be fine. It is a challenge sometimes and there are good and bad days. I hope things will work out for everyone in this Country/Worldwide so they can live a decent life and be content.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Being a female in other Countries, I couldn't/wouldn't be able to be Single, speak with anyone I choose, have my Motorcycle and Class A CDL Endorsements or even drive a CAR let alone wear the clothes I choose. OR HAVE A JOB! People are starving to death or suffering with horrific disease without proper medical care...I have to keep things in perspective to see how TRULY FORTUNATE I AM.

You're kinda off topic with these comments, but since you mentioned that, what makes you believe that in other countries you wouldn't be able to do the same thing as you do here? I'm not denying that there aren't countries where people are starving to death or suffering from xyz diseases, but that's happening in some third world countries, not everywhere in the world...

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sorry...bored...
Guess I was on a tangent huh?
In short, "Things could be Worse".
That's all I should have said.

Seeing is believing, right? Take a trip to Europe and you'll be amazed, trust me... I met in Germany many Americans that moved there after they were discharged (honorable discharge, of course) from the Army...

Reactions: vandriver2

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Mind as well call it what it is. "Fees" are a profit centers for most carriers. What creates a adversarial relationship with drivers is the lack of transparency with these fees. Paying $5.00 to get your own money deposited is silly.
Many carriers are making money on QC, banking, various insurances you name it. One of the reasons some keep adding trucks whether they have loads or not. It is profitable to them whether the truck is moving or not.
Another one of those "follow the money".

abcwine2

Seasoned Expediter
Mind as well call it what it is. "Fees" are a profit centers for most carriers. What creates a adversarial relationship with drivers is the lack of transparency with these fees. Paying $5.00 to get your own money deposited is silly.
Many carriers are making money on QC, banking, various insurances you name it. One of the reasons some keep adding trucks whether they have loads or not. It is profitable to them whether the truck is moving or not.
Another one of those "follow the money".

Unfortunately, Opel is mistaken---the $5.00 fee is refunded back on the next comdata purchase. This has also been explained.

Reactions: sbarrett and davekc

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

So, let's see...
QC - $ 30/week
Occupational $110/mo
Non trucking $ 36/mo + 1 mo in advance
Trippak $ 5/week
Deductible buyback $ 26/mo + 1 mo in advance

So, no matter if the truck is moving or not, there's a monthly charge of approx $320...

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Unfortunately, Opel is mistaken---the $5.00 fee is refunded back on the next comdata purchase. This has also been explained.

Phil, I'm pretty sure no one explained that to me, as well as all other charges beside the QC, Non Trucking and Occupational.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Is this for "cargo" insurance or actual insurance on the van? If you haven't had a claim, why would you pay the deductible on a policy if nothing has happened? Confused?

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Is this for "cargo" insurance or actual insurance on the van? If you haven't had a claim, why would you pay the deductible on a policy if nothing has happened? Confused?

Try Hours covers the cargo insurance, but there's a 2000 deductible that has to be paid by the driver in case of an accident. Here comes the buyback thing, that'll cover the deductible if something happens... at least that's what they told me... anyway, it's something that I strongly disagree.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Try Hours covers the cargo insurance, but there's a 2000 deductible that has to be paid by the driver in case of an accident. Here comes the buyback thing, that'll cover the deductible if something happens... at least that's what they told me... anyway, it's something that I strongly disagree.

I'm not quite sure why you would pay the deductible before a accident. Makes as much sense as paying your auto insurance deductible before you have a crash. I guess the next question would be, if you have no claims, do you get that money back with interest? I guess they think if they file a claim, the driver won't have the 2k? If so, that isn't a lot of confidence in their ability to make a driver profitable. Just a observation if that is true. Sounds a little high for cargo insurance just on its face. Very confusing.

Reactions: xiggi