Truth or BS?

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You forgot the "hold my beer" part.

i-dont-always-get-drunk-but-when-i-do-the-stories-always-start-of-with-hold-my-beer-.jpg

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I just saw this done. Jeep is a 1968 with a 42 amp alternator. He is using a 1 wire GM alternator. The drill is a 5/8 inch Hitachi that spins from 0-2900 rpm. He attaches it using a socket and adapter.
When the drill starts spinning it takes about 5 seconds and then the load kicks in causing the drill to slow but it kept chugging away. He could not let go of the drill and had to keep forward pressure on it. I checked the voltage on the battery terminals and it was putting out 13.6 volts.
So, it does work. But, I would need a really powerful drill to turn a 160 amp alternator and most drills that big do not spin that fast.
And this demonstration just cost me a 12 pack of Bud Light.:)

Last edited:

stonewolf

Seasoned Expediter
A alt need a voltage in put to set the regulator or else it will not set to generate an they dont use a drill the use electric motor and also a drill will only work on a select few modles and drills since the rpms for generation unless its 95 or older its not likely he just had a faulty conection some where before some one gets ****y certified mechanic and you can find many many service manuals and rebuild guides that will back it

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

briggie1

Seasoned Expediter
an alternator will charge a battery easy depending on how many amp alternator, a friend of mine lives beside a tiny stream. he has an old bicycle wheel part way in the water with plastic balls cut in half bolted to the wheel. then the wheel connected to a one wire gm alternator,as the water spins the wheel it charges the batteries connected to the alternator

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
an alternator will charge a battery easy depending on how many amp alternator, a friend of mine lives beside a tiny stream. he has an old bicycle wheel part way in the water with plastic balls cut in half bolted to the wheel. then the wheel connected to a one wire gm alternator,as the water spins the wheel it charges the batteries connected to the alternator

That sounds cool!!! Brilliant!!!! Maybe a small version sticking out the van window for charging house batteries?!?!

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
... a friend of mine lives beside a tiny stream. he has an old bicycle wheel part way in the water with plastic balls cut in half bolted to the wheel. then the wheel connected to a one wire gm alternator,as the water spins the wheel it charges the batteries connected to the alternator

That sounds cool!!! Brilliant!!!! Maybe a small version sticking out the van window for charging house batteries?!?!

Sure, Murray, if you wanna drive your van halfway deep in a stream...might take a lot planning, route wise, to get to the drop. :grin:

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
I don't know a lot about what is said here but I do know that a car will run on the alternater with out a battery and will run with a bad alternater only until the battery dies. Therefore the alternater needs no other source of power but it's own to produce power.

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
I don't know a lot about what is said here but I do know that a car will run on the alternater with out a battery and will run with a bad alternater only until the battery dies. Therefore the alternater needs no other source of power but it's own to produce power.

That is true...

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

00Grog

Rookie Expediter
I'll add, I built a small windmill using GM 1 wire alt. I have it hooked up to a deep cycle battery. This set up powers a bunch of LED lights I have in my shop. I also took a fan out of an old computer(most are 12 volts) and mounted it in my dog house for hot summer days. The lights are off in day and come on at dark. This setup as been running for about 3 years now.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I'll add, I built a small windmill using GM 1 wire alt. I have it hooked up to a deep cycle battery. This set up powers a bunch of LED lights I have in my shop. I also took a fan out of an old computer(most are 12 volts) and mounted it in my dog house for hot summer days. The lights are off in day and come on at dark. This setup as been running for about 3 years now.

Very cool.