True story

roadeater

Active Expediter
I met this guy in a courier company, we where independent contractors, I was doing good money and he was complaining all the time about everything. When he found out about the expedite industry he bought a new van, quit his job because, like he said, he was going to make " big money".
So he signed in with a small carrier and was taking all the loads that was offered to him, all he wanted was run miles like crazy, he though that the more miles the more money he will make, now after a year he went to bankrupcy, has no money, he lost his van, lost his house, and lost his wife.

Here is an advise from a newbie for all newbie. Before you get into this industry make sure you have enough knowledge,funds, and be smart to make the right decisions,specially in this tough economic times.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using EO Forums

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
I met this guy in a courier company, we where independent contractors, I was doing good money and he was complaining all the time about everything. When he found out about the expedite industry he bought a new van, quit his job because, like he said, he was going to make " big money".
So he signed in with a small carrier and was taking all the loads that was offered to him, all he wanted was run miles like crazy, he though that the more miles the more money he will make, now after a year he went to bankrupcy, has no money, he lost his van, lost his house, and lost his wife.

Here is an advise from a newbie for all newbie. Before you get into this industry make sure you have enough knowledge,funds, and be smart to make the right decisions,specially in this tough economic times.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using EO Forums

he applied the local courier rules to OTR.. It don't work that way.

You do have to run the wheels off your van to turn a small profit doing local courier work. That market is so saturated in many cities the company taking 40-45% of the run is the only one making money.

And trust me. They don't care at all about the 55-60% not covering your expenses.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
It's interesting to me how you guys always put down local couriers.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using EO Forums

Not the drivers. The companies.

I did local for 4 years. I know of what I speak of. For my market anyways.

I run a nightly route now.. Takes me 3 hours. Makes me more per day than 10 hour days with the "courier" company.

leebarnes987

Seasoned Expediter
Courier companys are just like expedite companys. There are bad ones and there are great ones. You have to shop them. I've been in the courier line work for over 10 years and would NEVER go back to over the road.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Courier companys are just like expedite companys. There are bad ones and there are great ones. You have to shop them. I've been in the courier line work for over 10 years and would NEVER go back to over the road.

I worked for a courier company 2 years out of Nashville tn. It was good experience ,but never again, low rates and labor intensive, delivering for Stables is heavy work.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I did local here in Chicago. Staples: Heavy work, low pay. In the hospitals, it's desk-top drop, which means you can spend an hour in the hospital. The routes I ran were geographic nightmares and desk-top drop didn't make it better.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Who is knocking Local couriers??? If stating facts are knocking then yea i guess you have a point...but i have told more then one newbie here as many others have, "if you need to be home on a regular basis, run for a local courier, you won't make has much, but you will be home as you need.."

So yea, if you "never" want to be OTR again", and the local works for you...more power to you...thats why there are opportunities on both sides of the fence.....But be honest too, more local courier driver move on to expediting then the other way around.....

leebarnes987

Seasoned Expediter
Like I said, you have to pick the right company. I run emergency computer parts to 3 states. I make as much as a cv expedite driving my suv and sleep in my own bed evey nite at home.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
That is one of the reasons most here will say that what is good for one person may not work for another. Some local gigs pay dang good, but there are others that pay half what they are worth. Trick is to find the company that works best for you, and don't worry what others say.

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
Like I said, you have to pick the right company. I run emergency computer parts to 3 states. I make as much as a cv expedite driving my suv and sleep in my own bed evey nite at home.

Can you share the company name?THX

Brisco

Expert Expediter
It's interesting to me how you guys always put down local couriers.

Honestly....because the Courier Industry is probably the lowest form of "Driving" anyone can be doing for a living. IMO, the industry itself is bottom of the barrel income for desperate people needing something, anything, as income to make their car payment, to get their electric turned back on, to have money coming in so they don't get that warrant issued for back child support, etc.

You don't have your "City" listed in your profile. Where ya from?

I'll tell you what's like here in the DFW area. You literally have hundreds of Courier Companies. Both Established and Fly By Nights. That in itself causes rates these Companies offer to the market to be low as hell. Most Customers that use Local Courier Services could care less who is at their back door, their dock, their reception desk as long as their package/packages get delivered in a manner as to how the Courier Company promised them would get delivered.

Most Courier Companies have 4 Levels of service. Hot Shot - Customer straight to Delivery Point, 1-2 Hours, 3-4 hours, and basically anytime/next day. Rates charged to these Customers by the Courier Companies can range from $6 for Anytime/Next Day up to 100lbs, to like $14 to $18 for a Hot Shot, up to 100lbs, across town. "After Hours" local Hot Shots can get up to $30, but those are rare.

Now, you take a driver that is dispatched on a "Hot Shot" from Downtown Ft Worth to Downtown Dallas. It's a Hot Legal Document that an Attorney is waiting on to complete a Legal Brief. DT FW location is smack dab in the middle of FW, and on the 27th floor of building. Takes driver time to find close enough parking via an open Metered Street parking space, or a paid lot hopefully within a block or 2 of said building. (You don't dare leave your little truck/van/compact car unattended at the loading dock. Not in todays Terrorist Alert society) It could be 45 minutes to an hour til Driver finally has Package in hand heading to Dallas.

Driver takes off down 30 heading to Dallas. Driver gets slowed up at construction going through Arlington/Grand Prairie. Here it is well over an hour after Customer called in Order. Customer now calling Courier Company asking how long. Disptach calls driver on Nextel asking where he's at and how long til Dallas. Driver tries to explain parking, traffic, traffic jam, but Dispatch doesn't want to hear it, all he wants is an estimated time. Driver trying to be nice says within 20-30 minutes. Well, 30 minutes later as driver is finally crossing the Trinity River heading into Dallas, Dispatch Calls again asking for ETA. Driver tells Dispatch he's right outside of Dallas and will be there in a just a bit. 20-30 minutes later as driver is trying to get parked close enough to DT Dallas building, Dispatch starts yelling at Driver over Nextel saying Customer is FUMING. Driver finds parking, walks 2 blocks to building, waits on elevator to take package to the 35th floor of that building, and after all that, gets confronted by a-hole customer on why it took him almost 2 1/2 hrs to get these Documents delivered when Courier Company promised him it would be there in less than an hours time.

What was said Drivers Compensation for all this? Let's say 55% from an $18 charge to Customer...... $9.90. Only a FOOL would go through that more than once.

Or, what about being dispatched 1st thing in the morning to a "Dock" to pick up all that Customers local "Anytime" deliveries for that day? You stuff your truck with 40-50 boxes that covers 12 deliveries. You think "Yeah...Cool", todays going to be good day, only to find out when your settlement comes in that you stuffed your truck with 12 deliveries that took 6 hours and 135 miles to get done, but only paid $6.00 a delivery cause none of those 12 deliveries were over 100lbs each in total weight.

6 hours, 135 miles, $6.00 X 12 = $72.00 charge to the customer. Drivers take.........55% of $72.00 = $39.60. Yeah......Good Money, Huh????

Been there, done that, well over 12 years ago. Never again.....Rates are still the same, if not LOWER today than they were back in the 90's.

I also did the "Staples/Office Depot" thing myself once too.......been there done that with the heavy A cases of "Paper" too. Signed a Contract with Velocity Express to cover a daily out of town route out of DFW. Went SW of Ft Worth through the Granbury up to Stephenville area. Was going to get paid 70% for that route. Was explained that Terminal Manager would manipulate billing to throw in an extra $250 after my commission to cover fuel costs. Gave it a try. First week I ran that route, I had $289 in Expenses to run it. Didn't get first Check until the following week after my 2nd full week of running. Paycheck was for $373 something, and that included the $250 extra. Stood there outside Dispatch Window studying settlement sheet. I was out there doing $6-$9 deliveries for Office Depot making 70% of $6-$9. Let's just say that route did not get covered that day, at least not by me, and Velocity Express never paid me my 2nd weeks pay for Terminating Contract without notice. I lost around $300 on that second week in operating expenses.

I read through the Jobs on CL everyday. Just a Habit I guess. It is sooooooo funny how the same "Courier/Drivers" ads are placed EVERY DAY, if not every other day, promising $600-$800-$1200 a week, and have for years and years. If people were actually making $1200 a week, WHY the high turnover???

Yep, like I said, Courier Companies are the bottom of the cat litterbox when it comes to Jobs for people who want to "Drive" for a living. Like Dennis said, there are more Ex-Couriers who are now Expeditors than Vice Versa. Anyone that spends 10 years as a "Courier" just doesn't have any drive to better themselves, or possibly any self-respect for themselves when it comes to making something out of their lives. My Opinion of course........

Last edited:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Honestly....because the Courier Industry is probably the lowest form of "Driving" anyone can be doing for a living. IMO, the industry itself is bottom of the barrel income for desperate people needing something, anything, as income to make their car payment, to get their electric turned back on, to have money coming in so they don't get that warrant issued for back child support, etc.

You don't have your "City" listed in your profile. Where ya from?

I'll tell you what's like here in the DFW area. You literally have hundreds of Courier Companies. Both Established and Fly By Nights. That in itself causes rates these Companies offer to the market to be low as hell. Most Customers that use Local Courier Services could care less who is at their back door, their dock, their reception desk as long as their package/packages get delivered in a manner as to how the Courier Company promised them would get delivered.

Most Courier Companies have 4 Levels of service. Hot Shot - Customer straight to Delivery Point, 1-2 Hours, 3-4 hours, and basically anytime/next day. Rates charged to these Customers by the Courier Companies can range from $6 for Anytime/Next Day up to 100lbs, to like $14 to $18 for a Hot Shot, up to 100lbs, across town. "After Hours" local Hot Shots can get up to $30, but those are rare.

Now, you take a driver that is dispatched on a "Hot Shot" from Downtown Ft Worth to Downtown Dallas. It's a Hot Legal Document that an Attorney is waiting on to complete a Legal Brief. DT FW location is smack dab in the middle of FW, and on the 27th floor of building. Takes driver time to find close enough parking via an open Metered Street parking space, or a paid lot hopefully within a block or 2 of said building. (You don't dare leave your little truck/van/compact car unattended at the loading dock. Not in todays Terrorist Alert society) It could be 45 minutes to an hour til Driver finally has Package in hand heading to Dallas.

Driver takes off down 30 heading to Dallas. Driver gets slowed up at construction going through Arlington/Grand Prairie. Here it is well over an hour after Customer called in Order. Customer now calling Courier Company asking how long. Disptach calls driver on Nextel asking where he's at and how long til Dallas. Driver tries to explain parking, traffic, traffic jam, but Dispatch doesn't want to hear it, all he wants is an estimated time. Driver trying to be nice says within 20-30 minutes. Well, 30 minutes later as driver is finally crossing the Trinity River heading into Dallas, Dispatch Calls again asking for ETA. Driver tells Dispatch he's right outside of Dallas and will be there in a just a bit. 20-30 minutes later as driver is trying to get parked close enough to DT Dallas building, Dispatch starts yelling at Driver over Nextel saying Customer is FUMING. Driver finds parking, walks 2 blocks to building, waits on elevator to take package to the 35th floor of that building, and after all that, gets confronted by a-hole customer on why it took him almost 2 1/2 hrs to get these Documents delivered when Courier Company promised him it would be there in less than an hours time.

What was said Drivers Compensation for all this? Let's say 55% from an $18 charge to Customer...... $9.90. Only a FOOL would go through that more than once.

Or, what about being dispatched 1st thing in the morning to a "Dock" to pick up all that Customers local "Anytime" deliveries for that day? You stuff your truck with 40-50 boxes that covers 12 deliveries. You think "Yeah...Cool", todays going to be good day, only to find out when your settlement comes in that you stuffed your truck with 12 deliveries that took 6 hours and 135 miles to get done, but only paid $6.00 a delivery cause none of those 12 deliveries were over 100lbs each in total weight.

6 hours, 135 miles, $6.00 X 12 = $72.00 charge to the customer. Drivers take.........55% of $72.00 = $39.60. Yeah......Good Money, Huh????

Been there, done that, well over 12 years ago. Never again.....Rates are still the same, if not LOWER today than they were back in the 90's.

I also did the "Staples/Office Depot" thing myself once too.......been there done that with the heavy A cases of "Paper" too. Signed a Contract with Velocity Express to cover a daily out of town route out of DFW. Went SW of Ft Worth through the Granbury up to Stephenville area. Was going to get paid 70% for that route. Was explained that Terminal Manager would manipulate billing to throw in an extra $250 after my commission to cover fuel costs. Gave it a try. First week I ran that route, I had $289 in Expenses to run it. Didn't get first Check until the following week after my 2nd full week of running. Paycheck was for $373 something, and that included the $250 extra. Stood there outside Dispatch Window studying settlement sheet. I was out there doing $6-$9 deliveries for Office Depot making 70% of $6-$9. Let's just say that route did not get covered that day, at least not by me, and Velocity Express never paid me my 2nd weeks pay for Terminating Contract without notice. I lost around $300 on that second week in operating expenses.

I read through the Jobs on CL everyday. Just a Habit I guess. It is sooooooo funny how the same "Courier/Drivers" ads are placed EVERY DAY, if not every other day, promising $600-$800-$1200 a week, and have for years and years. If people were actually making $1200 a week, WHY the high turnover???

Yep, like I said, Courier Companies are the bottom of the cat litterbox when it comes to Jobs for people who want to "Drive" for a living. Like Dennis said, there are more Ex-Couriers who are now Expeditors than Vice Versa. Anyone that spends 10 years as a "Courier" just doesn't have any drive to better themselves, or possibly any self-respect for themselves when it comes to making something out of their lives. My Opinion of course........

Now THAT is "putting down courier companies"...at least those in the Dallas Ft Worth area...:)

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
I'll throw msp in that bucket too. With the exception of accell couriers. They where good to me and paid the best they could given the compition.

Volocity is just as bad here. Priority wants a 4 year old or newer van (ya.. right!) And offers pay no better than anyone else. Quicksilver was decent but my time with them is pre 9/11 so things might have changed. Roadrunner/dynamix is fading out. Rarely see a car/truck with their name on it.

Sent from my SPH-M920 using Tapatalk

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A few years back I made decent money as a courier. We had CDW, Staples, Quill and a couple of other customers, and I could expect a $2000 or better paycheck in my standard Ford van. Then we lost CDW to another outfit and my pay dropped precipitously. I was doing good to get 1200 on a good week. They talked me into trading the Ford in on a Sprinter, and up to last July I had the biggest 2500 Sprinter you could lay your hands on. Never made more than 1500 with that in courier work, and then in May of '09 the bottom dropped out. Staples drastically reduced their rates and I was making 850 to 950 on a good week. I left them last May, been doing this since. They want me to come back, but now I drive a standard Chevy 2500. If the huge Sprinter could only make 950, what do you think I would make with this Chevy? I'd be doing good to cover vehicle expenses. Having to work from 3:00 in the morning to 6:00 at night, five days a week, and then having to ask my church for charity so I can pay my rent and eat just loses appeal real quick. It's bad when an old widow takes pity on you and buys groceries for you.

Never again. Working at McDonalds pays better than that.