Canada Trucker Charged for Smoking

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
This week a truck driver in a rig was charged for smoking while driving. The law passed awhile ago banned smoking in the work place which also included vehicles. I haven't got any details as yet as to whether or not he was an employee in a company truck or a broker in a labeled truck or otherwise but this is going to be an interesting case. Yes the cab of a truck is considered a workplace and therefore if you read the law this means it qualifies under the smoking ban.
Yup another wonderful stupid law that some cop decided to enforce. So just watch out on the highways while in Ontario (as if we don't have enough to worry about).

The hands free electronic device law comes into effect this Oct 26 with a 3 month grace period for education. They also have given couriers and transport companies 2 years to replace current radio systems like the mike and 10-4 systems and the older type radios to a hands free system. Most larger carriers already utilize the qualcomm and such but there are hundreds of others using the others, so a real change in communications is going to happen in the transport business in Ontario.
Rob

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
The law states no smoking in the workplace and for a truck driver the cab of the truck is his workplace. Therefore it could be taken that the truck is a workplace even for an o/o and therefore the driver can be charged. I think like you that it should apply to company trucks and not o/o but this is the govt and their thinking we are dealing with.
Rob

guido4475

Not a Member
The law states no smoking in the workplace and for a truck driver the cab of the truck is his workplace. Therefore it could be taken that the truck is a workplace even for an o/o and therefore the driver can be charged. I think like you that it should apply to company trucks and not o/o but this is the govt and their thinking we are dealing with.
Rob

You are absolutely correct. Acouple of years ago my freind got a ticket for smoking in the truck while crossing the scales in California.The reason for the ticket was smoking in the workplace.I don't agree with it, but it's the law.Even as a smoker, I still eat in the non-smoking section.And why is it so difficult for some people to take a crap without having to have a cigarette?But the most bothersome of all is why do most restaurants have the non-smoking section clear in the back of the restaurant, so the non-smoker has to walk through the smoking section to get there? It makes absolutely no sense whatso ever.I am about the pickiest smoker there is. To this day,I will not smoke in my house.I dont want it to smell like an ashtray.Sorry if I stepped on a few toes, here.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Rob

It doesn't apply to O/O's IF no one else ever gets in their truck . Totally Confusing Ontario smoking ban in trucks .

JasonandKim

Seasoned Expediter
You are absolutely correct. Acouple of years ago my freind got a ticket for smoking in the truck while crossing the scales in California.The reason for the ticket was smoking in the workplace.I don't agree with it, but it's the law.Even as a smoker, I still eat in the non-smoking section.And why is it so difficult for some people to take a crap without having to have a cigarette?But the most bothersome of all is why do most restaurants have the non-smoking section clear in the back of the restaurant, so the non-smoker has to walk through the smoking section to get there? It makes absolutely no sense whatso ever.I am about the pickiest smoker there is. To this day,I will not smoke in my house.I dont want it to smell like an ashtray.Sorry if I stepped on a few toes, here.

I agree with you. Most people cant believe I smoke. I can't stand to smell smoke when Im trying to eat. or first thing in the morning I have to light up first because of the smell of smoke bugs me that much. There is no smoking in our house or vehicles. So, I'm also one of the pickiest smokers there is..K