truck tracking?

mugurpe

Seasoned Expediter
does anyone have suggestion on gps truck tracking devices for small fleets? thanks in advance...

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Not sure if this will fit the bill, but check into MacroPoint, which utilizes the drivers cell phone location:

MacroPoint.com

mugurpe

Seasoned Expediter
We had a truck stolen out of our yard last night at 1:42am. so I'm looking more into a tracking system for that, I trust our drivers, but apparently there are other people out there...

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
I like the Trunk Monkey idea too, but you have to feed them.

I'm intrigued by the possibility of using old cell phones, hidden in the truck and hooked up to a permanent charging cable, that are set up with either MacroPoint or this phone app: Timed FX , for just the sort of problem you had with theft.

There must be other solutions that are meant for permanent mounting that would even alert you to initial movement.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I'd do any $10 solution if it would feed active locations direct to Sylectus. We're Manual Virtual Fleet and I haven't checked what all is accepted.

mugurpe

Seasoned Expediter
before our unit went missing I was thinking about the timedfx service, looks great, only problem is now I'm concerned about theft so it won't do.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Since I do high value sound lighting and video I equipped my trucks and trailers with lo-jac it's a one time buy and 30 to activate and track it's connected via the company to police around the country and is accurate to a few ft team tall equipment co. Have them on high theft items like generators which disappear often aroun hurricane season

tknight

Veteran Expediter
A search of-internet shows many gps units that are track able through Internet
Online sites when I got lo-jac these didn't exist or I'd have done that too

mugurpe

Seasoned Expediter
tknight:
yeah, I'm tempted to go that route. it would be nice to have the real-time updates of where trucks are during the day but... maybe it's smarter to separate the tasks: lojack for thefts and timedfx for drivers. I do like the idea of having an alert sent to me if anything rolls at odd hours, but perhaps I don't need it.

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
Search "vehicle and asset tracking", more hits than you can imagine! I am not familiar with any one solution in particular, but you should be able to come up with a solution that fits your needs.

TS

This one does come to mind, I use the Globalstar satellite phone, advantage, if vehicle has sky view you get a report even outside cell coverage, looks self contained and very small footprint.

Last edited: