truck size

truckwife

Expert Expediter
My husband and I are sort of looking to buy a kenworth t-2000 with a 24'box,but after talking to a fedex driver were sort of unsure.He said that we can do the same job with a smaller truck and wont have the bigger truck payments and wont use as much fuel in the smaller truck.He has a FL80 frieghtliner and said it gets the job done with less cost.That sounded good to me,but my husband thinks it might be harder to sell the smaller truck when it came time to sell.Both of us would like your opinions and advice on this subject.thanks:)

IT_S HOT

Expert Expediter
Talk to Jeff Jones @ Stoops freightliner in Ft. Wayne He'll soon be coming out with a h/w team truck based on the columbia. You can trust his input. Good luck in you're search for the perfect truck.
JAKE :)

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
I think of the two options you have, you would be happier with the KW. That's my opinion...And as far as the new truck Jeff Jones is coming out with, Hold onto your shorts! What a cool setup! Might be out of your price range as it will be a class 8 truck. Good luck and please keep us posted what you decide to do.

BigRed32771

Expert Expediter
Another Class 8 option is being built by Jay Mott of M&M Trucks in Orlando. He's building expeditor trucks using new Peterbilt 387's as the starting point. Nice rigs, set up with automatic trans, etc. He doesn't do custom sleepers, though, so you're limited to the factory condo unit. He also builds Class 8's starting with used Freightliners (usually a Century Class). Price depends on what you want, used/new, dry/reefer, etc. He's working with FedEx to make sure that units he builds, whether starting with a new or used chassis, conform to their White Glove Temp-Assured standards. One problem appears to be that he's hard to get hold of, and appears to have more demand than he can supply at this time.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Hard to say which is the better choice without more information. If all things are equal I would go with the KW. Depending on how they are setup fuel milage probably won't be that much different.
Hard to say which would be the better deal without price and vehicles year.
Davekc

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Two weeks ago I was with a team that was going to pick up one of those Jay Mott Petes.He had all the bells and whistles that were possible built into the truck.
Cost of this large car $151,000, add FL sales tax $161,570, add interest and when it is paid for will have cost over $230,000. Too much for this guy.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
With higher operating costs ect. I think that is way too high for a truck. I would have went to a used class 8 and stretched it, or went the path I have been going. I will take my paid for KW anytime.
At his final price I could have bought 5 or 6 good trucks.
Davekc