Truck Ramps / Wheel Risers

hazmat

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Does anyone know of a portable truck ramp / wheel riser that can be carried on your truck and light enough for one man to set-up and used to raise your truck to dock heighth??? Or is this just wishfull thinking??? Thanks in advance for ya'lls input...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Does anyone know of a portable truck ramp / wheel riser that can be carried on your truck and light enough for one man to set-up and used to raise your truck to dock heighth??? Or is this just wishfull thinking??? Thanks in advance for ya'lls input...

There used to be a member here that used ramps....think he just used the heavy duty store bought ones...you don't need to be even with dock, just enough a dock plate will lower or one of them old plates for a pump truck to go over....

hazmat

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There used to be a member here that used ramps....think he just used the heavy duty store bought ones...you don't need to be even with dock, just enough a dock plate will lower or one of them old plates for a pump truck to go over....

Okay, if the standard dock height is 48"s, what would be the minimum height needed to work with dock plates at most facilities - 44"s????

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
my example was a cube with no wheel wheels sat high to begin with.....you'd have to do some research....and get an aggregate average...

Mrnewbie

Active Expediter
I have a cube van with a 16 foot box. Its one of the former penske trucks. Its 42 inches high. If I need to load Doch high I have the 12000 gvw rhino ramps and they work perfectly.

Sent from my MB865 using EO Forums

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hazmat, if you are considering ramps to get dock high for your new rig, I would caution against it. I rarely encounter a situation where I can't load or unload freight because I am not dock. When this does happen, if at the shipper, I get dry run pay and they send a dock high truck. At the consignee, arrangements are made to unload at another location with a ramp.

Your narrow width may not accommodate a full size dock leveler and I don't think you have any rear deck overhang to catch a dock plate. In my opinion, the chance of damaging your van trying to get dock high and using a built in dock plate, far outweigh any benefit. If you carry your own dock plate, well then maybe, but that's just one more piece of pus to add to the two ramps you will need to carry.

For Mrnewbie, with a cube van, especially if it is a DWR with the wider box it might work. He also has 16' to carry the ramps and/or portable dock plate. He also may have a customer(s) who require him to be dock high pay him accordingly.

Personally, for general van expedite, I don't think it is worth it.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
I have a cube van with a 16 foot box. Its one of the former penske trucks. Its 42 inches high. If I need to load Doch high I have the 12000 gvw rhino ramps and they work perfectly.

Sent from my MB865 using EO Forums

Hey Josh. Shhhhhh......don't be givin' away your secrets.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Hazmat, if you are considering ramps to get dock high for your new rig, I would caution against it. I rarely encounter a situation where I can't load or unload freight because I am not dock. When this does happen, if at the shipper, I get dry run pay and they send a dock high truck. At the consignee, arrangements are made to unload at another location with a ramp.

Your narrow width may not accommodate a full size dock leveler and I don't think you have any rear deck overhang to catch a dock plate. In my opinion, the chance of damaging your van trying to get dock high and using a built in dock plate, far outweigh any benefit. If you carry your own dock plate, well then maybe, but that's just one more piece of pus to add to the two ramps you will need to carry.

For Mrnewbie, with a cube van, especially if it is a DWR with the wider box it might work. He also has 16' to carry the ramps and/or portable dock plate. He also may have a customer(s) who require him to be dock high pay him accordingly.

Personally, for general van expedite, I don't think it is worth it.
What Moot said.

You can always figure that one out later if you find you need it....I haven't needed it.

hazmat

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks everyone for your thoughts, it's greatly appreciated...

I had an opportunity present itself for my new rig, but needed to have dock capabilities and was trying to think outside the box to capitalize on the xtra earnings...

Sent from my MB300 using EO Forums