Truck not starting

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
Truck not starting this morning, just clicks when I turn the key..... sounds like a solenoid, but it and starter are only about 6 months old. Apu is running and am showing a good battery charge. The clicking is coming from left dash area and on the firewall there is a round object that reminds me of a solenoid on a ford truck that is where the clicking is coming from , I believe. Guess I will have to wait on TA service truck. Great way to start the week, and only about an hour from my drop.
sent using my Galaxy Tablet

sent from my Galaxy S3

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
Update, TA road side has come and gone and he couldn't get it started. Tech thinks its a electrical issue in the wiring. He doesn't think its the starter. Looks like its a tow to the shop for further looks.

sent from my Galaxy S3

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If it wasn't changed when the starter was replaced, it is the high voltage relay on the firewall.
It will have two battery cables going to it. Some have two wires and some have three. Not a cureall, but to start without towing it, you can get lucky by hitting it with a hammer a couple of times. Sounds strange, but that usually will get you a few starts. It is likely stuck on the inside. The good news is it is not a high dollar part.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If it wasn't changed when the starter was replaced, it is the high voltage relay on the firewall.
It will have two battery cables going to it. Some have two wires and some have three. Not a cureall, but to start without towing it, you can get lucky by hitting it with a hammer a couple of times. Sounds strange, but that usually will get you a few starts. It is likely stuck on the inside. The good news is it is not a high dollar part.

Oh my...the hammer trick still works ?.....that is wild!!....I did that with my old Dodge van once whacked the altenator...

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Kind of the same thing. Although here, you hit the regulator bolted to the firewall. Don't hit the alternator in this case.

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter

Thanks Dave, that may be it. Took a look at it and found a corroded eyelet that just broke off when I touched it. Going to replace it and will get back with a update.

sent from my Galaxy S3

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Kind of the same thing. Although here, you hit the regulator bolted to the firewall. Don't hit the alternator in this case.

that what I call your one time shot....hail Mary! Don't push your luck get it fixed the truck gives you one free pass....LOL.....it sometimes works on fuel pumps as well I have heard....

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Sounds like you are in the right place. Disconnect at the battery because that will throw some sparks. Ensure all connections are clean and that should do the trick. Still may need the hammer if cleaned and still nothing.
What is pathetic is the TA guy should have identified that issue quickly rather than me looking at it through my EO post.:rolleyes:

True. It sometimes will work on a old fuel pump if you can get to it.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Will work on burned out headlights of old.
Turn on, whack with fist and sometimes the filament would reattach.

Modern filaments/bulbs too thin for this to work. ;(

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
Update , replaced connector and still just clicking. I lightly taped it with a hammer and the housing just went to pieces....:mad: I gave up and having it towed to a shop. More updates as they come in.

sent from my Galaxy S3

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Bummer. Probably could have got the part and just put it on yourself in order to save the tow.

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
Update, part is replaced, they called it a solenoid. No go still clicking. So they claim to have checked and say getting good volts to starter, so it must be the starter. Install new starter, still no go. Have no ideal now. Could it be some kind of safety sensor?

sent from my Galaxy S3

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Did you replace the actual starter solenoid? The one attached to the starter? A wired wrong starter will also have those symptoms if the right amount of volts are going to it but it fails to respond other than clicking.

Last edited: