Truck Inspections

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You know when you read an article, like the one on EO about inspections, you seem to wonder if you would have any problems in an inspection, I fear them even though I have had three of them (one really was an informal “we are pulling everyone in to explain to them†type of inspection) and I personally know five inspectors who work for the MSP.

Today I pulled into Delaware’s finest weigh station and ended up with a level 1 inspection. The good thing is I wasn’t the only one, almost every truck passing the scale was pulled in, I was second of the 20 sitting there.

Yep they got me, three violations and two of which are the most frustration of all – marker lights on the sun visor. After I pursue EO, I am going to fix them, they are not burned out lights but rather the things fell out of the lenses after my smooth trip to NYC which also caused my NYC FD mug to shatter. I get this mug from the NYC FD when I was there in 2001 and it has been all over the place with me, dropped I can’t remember how many times and it breaks just after I get off the GWB when my truck slammed into those nice cow size holes – ironic isn’t it.

Well anyway it was an enjoyable visit, the inspector was very nice. He said my rear brakes were like new and my fronts looked very good. After the trip through the Poconos I thought they would be worn down to the rivets.

I am very surprised that after studying my log for 20 minutes he found no violations, which I am thankful for because it is sort of a mess. He did question my last Canada trips and the back to back runs but he figured that I was compliant.

So the third item on the violations list is the right front brake hose, the covering is chaffed and will have to be replaced – not an out of service violation but close where he had to call in a second (and third, fourth and fifth) opinion. I went out of service and been trying to find one, for some reason not many people stock them and when I get a run out of here, I will pick one up and replace it, Funny though the tie wraps which hold the harness for the ABS were the real cause of the problem, nothing else.

ihamner

Expert Expediter
Oh my goodness, Greg! How horrible to go through all that when you are so careful with your vehicle! I probably would have a migraine the next day after that inspection! We have had one level 3 inspection and the officer was so nice (a good ole Tennessee boy) but he checked every bit of our paperwork with a magnifying glass! india

India Hamner
[font color="purple"] FEDEX [/font][font color="blue"]Custom Critical[/font]
D Unit
He who hesitates is not only lost, but miles from the next exit.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Greg, it pays to do those pre trips,if you were in California,they would have put you out of sevice for the brake lines,sure glad it worked out,remember when in NYC,drive slow,the life you save may be your trucks