Truck boxes vs. Truck sleepers

jdo1550

Seasoned Expediter
Hi, my name is Jeremy. I am new to the expediting business and I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on sleeper lengths for a 24' box. I was looking at buying a 72" sleeper but I was wondering if there is any harm in getting a 84" -96" sleeper. Will it take away load capacity and cut down on my profit? Also, where can I find used sleepers and what will it cost me to install it?

AutonomyRex

Seasoned Expediter
Hi, my name is Jeremy. I am new to the expediting business and I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on sleeper lengths for a 24' box. I was looking at buying a 72" sleeper but I was wondering if there is any harm in getting a 84" -96" sleeper. Will it take away load capacity and cut down on my profit? Also, where can I find used sleepers and what will it cost me to install it?

First off, you can only be 40' in overall total lenght, From the tip of your front bumper to the very end of your box.

So it depends, as I see it, what type of power unit are you starting off with? COE or a Conventional? What is the BBC?
Using a M2 or a cl112 or cl120 or etc?.......The power unit+the Sleeper+box must = 40' or LESS

Ask your self, why do you need a 96" sleeper? You running team with your wife? Cuz you will only get a 22'box. Plus, your wb gets longer as well.

A friend of mine is looking to stretch a class 8 with an integral sleeper and place a 24' box on it.

Yes you will lose capacity from a true inside dem 22' to a 24' box, will you lose revenue??? Don't know, but the sleeper at 96'' is gonna cost more than a 72''
Just remeber, or consider, the power unit and your box make you money...not the size of your sleeper.....and yes, a driver can stay out for as long as he/she wants in a 60" or smaller sleeper. Determination and drive keeps you on the road, not the sleeper size. BUT, if you are gonna LIVE in your truck....different consideration, it becomes your true home. ;-)

Google ''used truck sleepers'' and call for a quote......that is easy to do. Or just call FYDA in Columbus, they have abunch of truck that came in off a repo, already made....might have what you seek. Your truck dealer will know for sure.

A-Rex

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well before worrying about profit or anything else, it comes down to what type of company you are driving for (or will drive for) and do they actually need you at 24 feet. Meaning will they use all 24 more than 30% of the time.

With a lot of 18 to 20 feet boxes running around the country, they seem to be doing well enough with a number of companies who put three pallets on the truck at a time and nothing else but for those who are in it for the real money, sleepers are not really the determining factor.

We have people out here who are in specialized trucks with a company who looks for that specialized freight. They have large sleepers which are used as homes on wheels but then on the other hand we have a few who have standard sleepers, large boxes they keep filled and they make more money then those with those special trucks.

The control of your truck means a lot. Those in them special trucks seem to have the least control of all, mainly because they are at the mercy of the company they lease with while the others are in full control of the truck.

DieselDriver

Seasoned Expediter
Jeremy, I have a 2007 M2 106 Freightliner business class with an 84" sleeper and a 22' box with barn doors...a perfect straight truck, but if I could do it again...........I would get a 96" sleeper with a 22' box. Just make sure the dimentions of the box opening are the same as a semi. AND NEVER NEVER NEVER buy from Fyda in Columbus, oh...they gave me the biggest screwing when I bought my truck there...yes they totally take advantage of the uninformed. Any other questions give me a holler

'

denny2010

Expert Expediter
At least a 96" sleeper. Plenty of room for u and enough cargo area for the customer. No second thinking about it just do it
..lol

Sent from my DROIDX using EO Forums