Truck age

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Reading Dannyd's info about UPS, I am wondering about something.

I am hoping that the recruiters will answer this about their company and most likely been asked a lot of times before.

Normally companies want a 5 year old or newer van or truck. I have seen a large number of trucks and vans for sale that are 8 to 10 years old. Some that I have seen look pretty good and low mileage.

So my question is will your company take for example a 1998 truck which is in good shape and well maintained.

Thanks in Advance

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
Our policy on Straight trucks and tractors is that the vehicle should be no more than 5 years old, however if the vehicle in question is in good shape and mechanically sound we can have it DOT inspected here at our orientation and if it passes, it's in. As long as the truck continues to pass DOT inspections and runs well it can remain in the fleet. Please keep in mind that a lot of customers will not accept trucks older than 10 model years into their facilities - this is something that should be considered heavily when shopping for used trucks.

The policy on vans is no older than 2 model years, but sometimes we are able to make an exception based on location, experience, or a number of other factors. We bring on only a limited number of vans, so we must set the bar pretty high.

Thanks,

Scott

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Greg334;

Our policy at Premium Transportation Logistics is very similar to Express 1's policy - we like six (6) years old or newer on all vehicles. I live by the saying "if it is mechanically sound and cosmetically cool" I will at least look at the vehicle. As in any company, if the customer's needs require a truck and an eight year old truck that looks good and is solid is available, then we would use that truck.

Thanks,
HotFr8Recruiter