TriState & Caterpillar

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
One of my tri-state trucks hauled a load out of caterpillar yesterday. Rumors are just that......rumors.

wellarmed

Not a Member
I pulled for tri-state for over a year,we hauled a lot of Cat,but there were always other carriers at the dock even though we knew there were other tri-state trucks available in the imediate area.So it must have never been exclusive or the second party was the actual customer.

AmericanLaw

Seasoned Expediter
All I know is that ever since Panther lost Cat it has been killing me. That was my bread and butter.

The Law

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Beginning March 1, or shortly thereafter, you will see most of CAT's business start going to FedEXCC. There is a new agreement in place, and CAT wants to go to a single source to handle expedites instead of using a list of approved carriers. Since business is down, FedEx has a fleet large enough to accomodate this, and FedEx Supply Chain will broker out the ones they can't handle. Of course there are always plants that have materials managers with carrier preferences, so Tri State and some of the other smaller carriers will still see some CAT business here and there - but nothing like it used to be.

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
Beginning March 1, or shortly thereafter, you will see most of CAT's business start going to FedEXCC. There is a new agreement in place, and CAT wants to go to a single source to handle expedites instead of using a list of approved carriers. Since business is down, FedEx has a fleet large enough to accomodate this, and FedEx Supply Chain will broker out the ones they can't handle. Of course there are always plants that have materials managers with carrier preferences, so Tri State and some of the other smaller carriers will still see some CAT business here and there - but nothing like it used to be.

From what i seen at tri-state here a few weeks ago we are not loosing Cat and a matter of fact they are looking to do more with us.This was a in house memo at tri-state.

Roadpig

Expert Expediter
I asked TS last week after hearing rumors and they gave me the straight scoop.

FedExCC has first call on Caterpillar loads with TS as number two. However, Caterpillar has cut their expedited business by 90% for this year. I was told that Caterpillar had been doing an average of 80 expedited loads a day but as of two weeks ago they did ten loads for the entire week.

So, yes FedEx has first call for what little expedite they are doing. Considering that they just layed of 20,000 employees in a cost cutting measure it makes sense that they cut way back on expedites, which is a luxury item in our business.

Also, I also found out that each Cat plant has to get three quotes and approval from a plant manager on all expedited moves.

So FedEx has first call and TS has second call on a whole lot of nuthin' for the near future.

I was also told that CAT suppliers are still eager to use TS as their primary carrier whenever possible.

Roadpig

Expert Expediter

FedExCC won't see what Panther and TS used to see. Congratulations guys, you received the first call status during Caterpillars worst financial performance in the company's history.

csands007

Seasoned Expediter
I was told directly from an corp officer at CAT that FED EX would be their source starting 1st of March. He said they was going with 1 instead of 15. Just my 2 cents worth

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
I think TriState lost more than just Caterpillar....They incredible slow .I think they lost couple more customers....

DougTravels

Not a Member
I'm surprised that they call anyone. Seems like the would use NLM or Active Aero (not sure how you spell it) and let every1 undercut each other.

Roadpig

Expert Expediter
I think TriState lost more than just Caterpillar....They incredible slow .I think they lost couple more customers....

Reality check. Everybody is slow. I have friends (and former fleet owners) at all of the major carriers including FedEx and they all say the same thing: they're sitting way more than running.

Everybody is losing freight right now. If you have questions about customers, call TS. Don't be one of those little old ladies gossiping at the truck stops.*

*This isn't directed at you personally Mike99

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
Reality check. Everybody is slow. I have friends (and former fleet owners) at all of the major carriers including FedEx and they all say the same thing: they're sitting way more than running.

Everybody is losing freight right now. If you have questions about customers, call TS. Don't be one of those little old ladies gossiping at the truck stops.*

*This isn't directed at you personally Mike99

Reality check II. I have vans at TS and Panther....I think I can tell the difference....

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
My hats off to ya Mike....I don't know how you make money....a couple bad drivers, a couple big repairs and wham the profits gone....I wish you well. :)

Man,the true is that I MADE money.Now I'm thinking selling the vans and keep one for me.What happening now is just sad...:(

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
I noted you capped MADE not MAKING....hope you can get out before ya lose your shirt...sell the vans to the drivers?
Yes ,made. I would like to sell the vans to the drivers ,the problem is they don't have money to buy...I think I will park the vans in my backyard for couple of months and after that will see.The problem is that I will still have to pay the Qualcomm fees and the insurance.If I take them out, the carriers may not taking me back...

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter

Tri State is no slower than Panther, Fed Ex or Express One. We regularly keep in contact with teams from Panther, Fed Ex, Express One, RJR and Nations Express. We are doing about the same as the Panther, Fed Ex and Express One trucks. Remember it always appears the grass is greener on the other side until you get there.

As for Cat. Our load from Indy to Wixom Mi today is picking up at Catapillar Logistics 2000 Executive Dr Indianappolis IN. ;)

whitewolf

Seasoned Expediter
What are you talking about..I have 3300 miles loaded from jan 1st...and 4000 empty ...I don't think Panther is that slow...I have 9 days in Detroit and I am #5 on the board ..I'll be happy to get something to pay for the QC... and for CAT they wish to stil have the contract ...I called them and they said CAT is no longer use expedite for freight.