Transmission trying to frequently shift in 10 speed

csny42

Seasoned Expediter
Hello all-my truck has an Allison transmission and is full automatic 10 speed. A few weeks ago I noticed that at certain times while in 10 speed at speeds between 60-65 mph and while on flat terrain or hills, the engine will rev like it wants to change gears but is in 10th gear already. It will continue to do this for maybe 5-20 miles, then stop. It seems to occure more frequently with the cruise control on, but sometimes does it w/o it being on. Sometimes, the problem seems to stop by just speeding up or slowing down a few mph, or tunring off the cruise control, but no one thing fixes it each time. I often go for100-200miles of miles w/o the symptoms occurring. -any thoughts truck/trans/eng has 799k miles on it-o/w runs fine.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Likely the speed sensor which is on the transmission. A bad one has problems communicating with the engine ECM. The good news, easy to fix and not expensive. This is assuming the fluid level is correct and and fairly clean. On some trucks this may throw a ECM code 31.

Last edited:

csny42

Seasoned Expediter
thanks for replying-I thought it might be some type of sensdor or electrical-but just not enought mechanical background. This gives me a place to start. I'll let you know after repair. Thanks again