Transmission light

junkpickup

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Manager
The transmission light will come for a short period. Usually just a few seconds. Has happened three time. Fluid level seems good. It is 2016 hino 268 with hooklift. Is this a common issue? The dealer can not see it until Wednesday.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have the Allison 3000 and when it has happened to me. I was actually hydroplaning and the Tranny stayed in gear that I was in. I had to pull over and shut it down. Start it back up again.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
The transmission light will come for a short period. Usually just a few seconds. Has happened three time. Fluid level seems good. It is 2016 hino 268 with hooklift. Is this a common issue? The dealer can not see it until Wednesday.

Which transmission? I'm going to assume it's a 2000-series Allison.
These transmissions are generally trouble-free, but they do occasionally mess up. I've replaced several internal mode switches (IMS, range switch, whatever you want to call it). The occasional turbine speed sensor/related wiring. I've replaced quite a few TCMs, too.

If it goes into limp mode you should stop driving it. Limp mode on these varies. You might have third gear only, or third and reverse, or simply be stuck in whichever gear it was in when the fault set.

junkpickup

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Manager
Thanks Greasyshirt. It is Allison 2500rds. No fault codes on the display.

junkpickup

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Manager
It has not gone into limp mode. The light is currently off. I do have trouble telling what the fluid level is. There is oil on the dip stick. It seems one side of the dip stick will have more oil on it then the other side. There no fluid under the truck. I assume there no leaks. I think it may transmission fluid but can’t tell for sure. And where would the fluid have gone? Don’t want to risk over filling it. Al checks have been done while truck is running and in nuetral

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
It sounds like the fluid level is close enough. Someone with Allison DOC software should have a look at it, I think. It's probably a relatively simple problem.

Sent from my XT1585 using EO Forums mobile app

junkpickup

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Manager
It was a speed sensor. Hino could not touch it and the truck was sent to Allison. The truck was down for two weeks. I think they only worked on for about an hour.