Transition Razr Phone To Smart Phone

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
My trusty Razr phone is aproching 4 years old now. Looking to upgrading to one of those slick smart phones. (Especially like the looks of Droid).

Question is how have you drivers adjusted to the increased size. Jumping in and out of the truck, dealing with freight securement, lowering dollys, etc. Seems like it would be difficult.

What kind of holder/belt clip do you recommend My partner has a Blackberry Curve, /with a belt clip that exposes the face of the device. She has bumped a key and speed dialed someone by accident. She must lock the phone all the time to prevent this from happening. APITA. She puts the damm thing in her purse in her handbag a lot. This option is not available to us guys.

Appreciate your suggestions.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
"Question is how have you drivers adjusted to the increased size. Jumping in and out of the truck, dealing with freight securement, lowering dollys, etc. Seems like it would be difficult."

Yeah, the fatter you get the more difficult it is to jump in and out of the truck, all that stuff. :D

Touchscreen phones like the Droid and iPhone will automatically lock after a specified time (default is 30 seconds I think), so that accidental key presses won't happen. I'm not a belt-clip kinda a guy, I prefer to just stick it in my pocket, and that still holds true with the Droid. I do have a Body Glove case for it, which has a belt clip thingy on it, it's a snap-in thing for the middle-back of the case, or that can be swapped out for a simple flat-back snap-in, which is what I did. The Body Glove is a pebbled, rubberized surface to keep it from moving around if you lay it somewhere in the van, and makes it easier to hold on to.

Some don't like cases, but I like it simply because it's a protection for when/if I drop it. If you don't get a case, invest in something like the Ghost Armor from Best Buy (or BodyGuardz or Best Skins Ever), that will protect just the screen or the entire phone. Other places have it, but Best Buy will install the Ghost Armor protective film the cheapest. It's a film that actually works, was designed to protect helicopter blades from desert sandblasting, and the install is very similar to installing tinted window film. There's a pretty kewl charger/docking station for the Droid, but only a bare case or a case with Ghost Armor or some other protective film will fit into the docking station.

The screens of these phones are already pretty durable, with people trying and failing to scratch them with car keys. Protective films do more for dirt, grease and fingerprints than anything. Word is that a couple of drops of Goo Gone on a paper towel, and then use that to polish the screen, does the same thing, tho.