Total newbie questions

discochef

Seasoned Expediter
Hi everybody-
First off, I am a caterer who just bought a 20 foot UD box truck with liftgate, this is my slow season so I am looking to make some cash. I figured why not put it to work for me! So my questions are : for short runs like Indianapolis to chicago what do most people charge per mile? do you bundle all costs into that per mile fee? Is it expected that I would have to load and unload the truck for people? Thank you all for your help!

mike9824

Seasoned Expediter
Welcome to the site discochef. I'm fairly new to expediting myself, so I'll try to help you the best I can. Expediting is a commitment you need to be financially and mentally ready to get into this line of work. First thing you need to do Is talk to a recruiter i.e panther,bolt, fecc. I can Tell you now If your straight truck doesn't have a sleeper you can't use It. Expediting Is time critical pick-up and deliveries you need to stay out atleast 3 weeks at a time. This Is not a part time gig you need to do this full time or not at all. I'm not trying to discourage you just trying to be honest with you. Best of luck to you.
By the way to everybody out there that doesn't know who I am I used to be mikeangel99.:confused:

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
indy-chicago is route work and not expediting. whats it cost to run your truck? that is the number you at least need to meet then add profit.

load and unload? is the truck dock high? does it have dolly legs?

what is the max weight it can carry?

do you have dot authority or would you sign on with someone. you might want to call straightshot express. a lot of their work is one way and might be route driven although i don't know for sure.

you are going to have a tough time convincing a regular expedite company it is worth hiring you for the slow season as it is s-l-o-w right now for us.

take a look at the newbie faq thread at the top of this list. good ideas there.

Last edited:

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
Welcome to the site discochef. I'm fairly new to expediting myself, so I'll try to help you the best I can. Expediting is a commitment you need to be financially and mentally ready to get into this line of work. First thing you need to do Is talk to a recruiter i.e panther,bolt, fecc. I can Tell you now If your straight truck doesn't have a sleeper you can't use It. Expediting Is time critical pick-up and deliveries you need to stay out atleast 3 weeks at a time. This Is not a part time gig you need to do this full time or not at all. I'm not trying to discourage you just trying to be honest with you. Best of luck to you.
By the way to everybody out there that doesn't know who I am I used to be mikeangel99.:confused:

If truck doesn't have a sleeper it can't be used is incorrect...........you can use it. But, if you simply need to show motel receipts as proof to where you slept, took your break, etc

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
He only wants to go from Indy to Chicago and back.whats the big deal?Problem is,he needs his own authority,cause,every solo operator,living in either Chicago or Indianapolis wants the same thing,and most of the expedite carriers,for that matter any carrier,cant just cater to one person,no pun intended

fastrod

Expert Expediter

I will agree that expediting is time critical but you dont have to stay out 3 weeks at a time. I only stay out long enough to get the load delivered and to get back home. I also do this on a part time basis and have a second business I run also. After you have been around expediting a while Mike you will find that all this smoke the carriers blow up your rear is not the absolute truth, they just want you to think it is.
As far as discochef you may want to get your own authority and get loads from brokers. That way you can run when you want to.