Topic 2- earnings

wavking

Seasoned Expediter
I know this is probably a recurring topic but I have to ask it again for myself.
How many miles are you running per month? What’s your deadhead percentage? What are some typical ranges of freight rates (Straight truck)? How do they differ for regions of the country and length of haul? Are you paid by the carrier or the fleet owner?

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I know this is probably a recurring topic but I have to ask it again for myself.
How many miles are you running per month? What’s your deadhead percentage? What are some typical ranges of freight rates (Straight truck)? How do they differ for regions of the country and length of haul? Are you paid by the carrier or the fleet owner?

I will only attempt to answer part of this.
D/Head percentage cannot truly be answered by anyone because everyone's different. Some guys go back empty some sit for however long it takes to get another load. It also depends on the time of year and area your in. If you take a load to Northeastern Montana your going to D/Head a long way's to get a load. I am no longer in a D unit so I cannot answer the rate question.
Use this site, go back in time and research it. :D

greg334

Veteran Expediter

Research, what a great thing.

I can post my earnings here, but won't.

I don't do a lot of miles, everything I'm doing is about 110% DH but it still works out that I'm making more than I would if I am sitting at a truck stop with a flock of vans and trucks waiting for a load. The average offer I have been getting ranges from $2.00 a mile to $2.50 a mile all inclusive but I have two dedicated runs a week and other stuff going on so I'm happy. The regional thing I have not noticed any difference in rates, I think the west coast is higher but not by much. I own my truck, no owner to work for.

BUT with that said, every one is different. It took me a few years and a lot of BS to get where I am now. It can all change and I expect it to every week. I don't work for a company that treats me as an employee or fusses over things like acceptance rates or plays games with me with board positions. If I don't like the offer, I tell them no and that's it and I treat this as a business.

RoadDawgg

Expert Expediter
Can you elaborate on some of the BS, Gregg? Stuff NOT to do is often more helpful to know than knowing some of the things you're supposed to do.

Thanks!
Christopher

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well I would but it would start people throwing a fit and getting purple streamers all over the place and I just cleaned the inside of my computer up. Beside I would also p*ss on a few people and get nasty letters.

The point is that everyone's needs are different and you have to approach this as any other business, with a plan and goals. It isn't all that cracked up to be, many who make it look easy have gone through the good times and learned without the stress or problems we have today. If you follow the leader, you may not be happy with the results and depending on the leader you follow, you won't/can't do what they did to get where they are at because they are different from you with different ethics.

The advice I give (other than getting a lawyer and accountant) is to get it together first, take a realistic look at your situation and then what you are willing to do. Take your goals and find a company that will fulfill them, using the worst numbers you can find.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
The point is that everyone's needs are different and you have to approach this as any other business, with a plan and goals. It isn't all that cracked up to be, many who make it look easy have gone through the good times and learned without the stress or problems we have today. If you follow the leader, you may not be happy with the results and depending on the leader you follow, you won't/can't do what they did to get where they are at because they are different from you with different ethics.

The advice I give (other than getting a lawyer and accountant) is to get it together first, take a realistic look at your situation and then what you are willing to do. Take your goals and find a company that will fulfill them, using the worst numbers you can find.

I am not believing it! You have finally made a post that I agree with. (Except the lawyer accountant part, of course).

We all move freight from point A to point B. Yet we all have our own little way of doing it. All of us have a plan, but all the plans differ from each other. It would be hard for any of us to give definite answers to alot of these questions. But, a person could read and research our comments and experiences and half way get some idea of what this is all about. If you read enough of our experiences, you have to start seeing something that interest you. My personal feelings is I don't think enough thought is given to "the being away from home" thingy. It's something that causes alot of newbies to hang it up. Especially if you have a family at home. Some can handle it and some can't.

greg has made a good comment on this one. IMO!!!

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
We are all in expediting for 1 reason and 1 reason only,the profit is higher than with any truck load carrier.Most of us don't look at miles but revenue,as our loaded money per mile is higher than most all of the industry.All the expedite carriers,have different pay schemes,but after the fact,they are all pretty close to each other.After all,they haul each others loads,or get them from the same load board.I don't pay much attention to my dead head,I look at the bottom line of what the load is paying all in.If it meets my requirements than I do it,if not, I know how to say NO!I've been with Tri State for 10 months now,although most of January truck has been in shop.In the actual 9 months I worked,I did 95 loads,and turned down 4,and I'm doing close to $1.50 for all miles driven.Not everyone here does that much,maybe some even do more,but,no matter where you go in expediting,if your in a tractor and you numbers aren't close to that your doing something wrong.

wavking

Seasoned Expediter
I know people are reluctant to post real numbers so I'll tell you what I do now and you can tell me if I can do better expediting or not.

Right now I work as company driver for an LTL company hauling 53 ft trailers. I have health insurance and bennies and my pay was $65,000 last year before taxes. I get $.494 per mile plus stops and delay time; holidays, personal days and vacation.

I know I'm at the top end of earnings for this type of job. Am I foolish to give this up?

MissKat

Expert Expediter
Waveking. 6 yrs truckload tractortrailer then one year fdxccwgtval for two different owners. Two different pay structures. Now pull 53' Ltl
Benefits insurance paid days off vacation pay. Expediting is fun and rewarding but you do not have someone behind you who has a vested interest in finding you freight. Their interest is finding a driver to haul the freight they get. If no freight is called in on a Friday where you are you sit until an order is called in
And there could be 5 other trucks waiting like you. Or you pull out your wallet squeeze the funds out to fuel your rig make a wag where freight might be lurking and not those 5 other trucks and move there and wait. I do not pretend to know how it works with other expedite companies. I hope they have a better system
Wearing the purple at times we found some dispatchers condescending rude and obnoxious. They cannot make any recommendations if you have issues with your truck owner but they do call the owner if they have issues. Only fair. My recommendation is to try it. You only live once. I'm glad we did it and miss it often
Miss kat

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I know people are reluctant to post real numbers so I'll tell you what I do now and you can tell me if I can do better expediting or not.

Right now I work as company driver for an LTL company hauling 53 ft trailers. I have health insurance and bennies and my pay was $65,000 last year before taxes. I get $.494 per mile plus stops and delay time; holidays, personal days and vacation.

I know I'm at the top end of earnings for this type of job. Am I foolish to give this up?

If you are a solo you are foolish to give that up at this time.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter

If you become an owner opp,run team for the right company,you could make more than that for less time at work.I usually work 260 days a year,and most of the time,my net pay before taxes is $75000 a year.My insurance is thru medicare,and i dont have a 401.If possible,I spend evey dime I make,you cant take it with you.I can also tell you,there were many years,that your pay was much better than mine,but you should net between 50 and 80 a year,if your running solo,this will never happen,or if your driving someone elses truck.I had a husband and wife team one year make 100000 but that was 2 people

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Unless there's something about this job that makes you totally miserable, I'd stick with it. You most likely won't do this well in expediting. Especially if you keep the same level of benefits you have now, as that will be quite a bit out of the profit.