Top toys of the 50's

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What about Lincoln logs, Tinker toys, and erector sets?
I had a Kenner Girder and Panel building set. It had horizontal and vertical plastic beams and posts that resembled steel girders. The beams snapped into the posts allowing one to build skyscraper type buildings. Very cool!

Reactions: paulnstef39

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
I wasn't around for the 1950's, but do remember the Slinky toy, lawn darts(banned) and Clackers(banned). Mood rings, pet rocks, transistor radios, hula hoops, $5 haircuts, rotary dial phones and manual typewriters. Wringer-type washing machines and washboards. An outdoor clothesline used to dry laundry. Hand signals could be used to indicate a turn in traffic or a stop. Coal stoves, coal shovels and coal heat. Full service gas stations. Watching movies at an outdoor drive-in. Pickup trucks parked at my high school with shotguns in the back window on a rack. Buying ammunition over the counter at a country store with no ID needed as a teenager. I remember standing in fog so thick that the school bus passed up my brother and me on more than one occasion.

Some memories are seared indelibly into our brains. I remember my mother teaching me to read by age four. For some, memory slips away. As Alzheimer's did its dirty work, my Dad couldn't remember much of anything as he approached 90. I find myself becoming a little more forgetful, too. How to compensate for that? Go outside and play.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I remember standing in fog so thick that the school bus passed up my brother and me on more than one occasion.

Uphill. Both ways. In the snow. Oops, had a flash of my grandpa for a moment. :)