too high?

kempers_gramp

Expert Expediter
We are trying to purchase an expediting truck.........it is an 03 Freightliner FL80 with about 190K on it with a 3126...6 spd eaton.....22ft box....and a 96" sleeper........asking price is $63,000.
Everything is good on the truck, tires are new, and there is no apparent "accident damage".
They are asking less than 5% down and the interest rate is below average. I understand that it may be a little high in price but I cannot find anything to compare it to.
Any response would be appreciated.
Thank You, Kempers_gramp.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Compared to a brand new truck it doesn't sound totally outrageous. I think your assessment of a little too high is probably right. Have you offered something less? If the interest rate is better than the going rate that's going to help a lot also. Maybe they'd take $59k at the same rate. Good luck with whatever you do.

Tom Robertson

Veteran Expediter
the truck market is a little different than the automotive market. are you buying from a dealer or an individual? if selling to a dealer the individual would be luck to get $50K. remember that most of the engines in these straight trucks are expected to go 500K before rebuild. some will go quite a bit longer if maintained properly, but for the most part you should figure 500K miles. that being the case, the engine has about 60% of it life left. a remanufactured engine will cost on the north side of 10K.
if you compute what this truck cost new, and deduct 40%, that should be close to the actual value of the truck.
if you are buying from an individual... ask to take the truck on a test drive and build in enought time to drop by a dealer for an offer from them. I think somewhere between 50 to 55K is probably a fair price for this truck.
again the market is different... a good used truck is usually worth what the buyer is willing to pay, just make sure you're not the only one who thinks it is worth what they are asking.

Tom

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Do your research on the engine. The Cat 3126 is not what I would want in an expediter. Take that into consideration when pricing. Do a search right here on EO, and you should get alot of feedback about tha engine, from those who have had experience with them.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Price seems alittle high. We have had much better luck with the cats verses the cummins. You will get alot of different opinions. And both are problably better than the mercedes based on posts to date. I would whether from a private owner or dealer, have a reputable shop run a dyno test to insure it is what you think you are getting. Very cheap insurance. Don't forget to get the maintenance records to it. If none are available, have freightliner run the serial number so you would know at least what they had done on it. Should list any warranty work performed as well. Checking classifieds on here may give you a foundation for an asking price.
Davekc

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
I think the price is fair. I just helped in the sale of a 2000 model fl 70 and it sold for 50,000.00 with over 450,000 miles. If the condition warrants a higher price, then it's a good deal. The used truck market has changed in the past year. There is no longer a glut of used equipment on the market. A well maintained truck is worth a lot more $$ than a newer run down neglected unit. I'd say if it excites you and it's what you want, go for it! Best of luck and please let us know how things work out for you.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
That truck with that size sleeper is a pretty good price. The mileage is not bad at all. That sleeper is part of the higher price. As for the CAT 3126. I have two of them. I hate it in the mountains but other than that not bad. Very easy to work on. If by chance you are looking at that truck at Alumi Bunk you could proably geta better price. I still feel the price is not too bad though. I would try to get it dropped just because that is the idea as a buyer but I think you are ok. A DYNO test really does not answer all the questions. It would be good to get oil samples and have them checked. I would also look at the HUEy pump on driver side of engine. See if there is any evidence of leakage those where a big problem. There was a recall on those. Not sure if that is true for 2003 ask CAT. If all checks out. I would buy it. raceman

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I prefer the dyno tests on used equipment because oil samples are inconclusive. You as the buyer don't know how many miles are on the oil or the test. I can make an oil sample appear anyway that I want. Generally it takes months of tests to determine results from oil samples. You will seldom find a truck that has all that information when for sale, and know that you can trust it. Dyno tests while not perfect, give you a right now answer without any quesses if you are having it performed.
As far as hill climbing, it depends on what horsepower and drivetrain you are running.
Just my opinion of course.
Davekc

kempers_gramp

Expert Expediter
Everyone, thank you for your responses, they are appreciated. I look forward to hearing more. As from the opinion gathered from the "locals" I work with, the 3126 should be suffiecient for what I need it for, a little weak in the hills, but a good starter truck.
Thank You again.

If anyone has any advice or comments about entering the expediting business, contracted to Tri-State, please feel free to drop me a line.

Kempers_gramp.

P.S. what is the "other" expediters site I hear about?

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
My Humble opinion look elsewhere. There are too many posts on EO about the Cat 3126 giving out at about 400K. I have a Cummins C 8.3 with 793K on it and it is running strong,uses no oil,gets 11 MPG at 65 MPH and does the job. If you can get them to knock off 10 k on the price go for it.

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I really have to agree with RichM on this one. I'm running a 3126 Cat with 383k on it now, and sweat bullets every time I shut it down.

Big question with the FL80 is always what kind of 6 speed (overdrive or regular) and what rear end ratio (most seem to be 4.63, which means that 3126 may be running really high rpm to do 65mph, and that affects the life remaining here).

Last question is about the idle time by the previous owner. A Cat shop can tell you how many hours the engine has run thus far. That figure times 50mph will give you a rough figure for the actual mileage the engine has.

EX: 8000 hrs X 50mph = 400k miles

Vernon in C2197

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I wouldn't sweat too many bullets unless your not maintaining the engine. We just rebuilt a flatbed with over 900,000 miles, on a 3126.
We recently ran into another Panther driver that had over 700,000 on his. We currently have 350,000 on ours and have had no problems short of a blown alternator. Run synthetic or use a block heater for cold starts and have the valves checked every 100,000. Doesn't hurt to do consistant oil samples as well. Make sure you know how to read those reports for them to be useful.
Davekc