Tolls around Austin Texas

truckn-lace

Seasoned Expediter
Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing toll charges like we are. We go around 130 to miss Austin traffic great road mind you. My question is and help me out if you are knowledgeable on this, /we pay the tolls at all 4 booths and then our partner owner is receiving a invoice in the mail saying we commercial trucks cannot pay cash and therefore they read the plates and send a bill. Now I have the receipts and they are surely taking our money. Which I guess I can take a picture of that the next time thru. But has it happened to anyone else and what can we do about it who should we contact. Love the road but don't think paying double is fair or correct. Thanks a head of time for imput!!

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I would just send in the receipt as proof of payment, then not pay at the booth next time.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
i avoid the loop for this reason. at one time the problem was that there were different sections of the road that were managed separately. one part cash or toll tag another section by plates.

eb

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Get a Texas tag. Covers tolls anywhere in the state and gets a discount too.

BigRed32771

Expert Expediter
Get a Texas tag. Covers tolls anywhere in the state and gets a discount too.

And while you're at it, be sure and get an Oklahoma turnpike pass, and a Kansas K-Tag. A Florida SunPass. An Illinois I-pass. An EZ-Pass for all those northeastern toll roads and bridges. West Virginia probably has something for their toll road, too. Oh, yeah, and what about California toll roads? Electronic tolling is here to stay; it makes it easier for them to keep track of us and collect our money. Of course, when you have your windshield covered with a dozen different tolling system devices you may run the risk of getting a ticket for having obscured vision through your windshield, but that's a minor price to pay for the convenience, right?

Oh, an online check of the tolls for the SH-130 loop shows that a 3-axle straight truck would pay $13.** by TxTag, $15.** by cash, and $18.** by mail, to cover the entire length from I-35 on the north to I-35 on the south. As frustrating as driving through Austin on I-35 can be, I'd have to think long and hard before tossing 15 to 19 bucks out the window just to keep moving a little farther a little faster.

** means I didn't pay close attention to the odd cents, and was just looking for the overall impression of pricing.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You can get a Best Pass that covers most of the tolls from IL to the Atlantic. That will reduce the number of devices a lot. I haven't used the toll road over there but considering how horrendous Austin traffic can be the question is whether 30-60 minutes is worth the cost of the tolls. If I ran that way much at all I'd want the tag though to save $2 every time through.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
We have EZ Pass and the Florida Sunpass (because we live in Florida). Anywhere that doesn't take EZ Pass we just pay cash as we are not there that often.

Kristi

Active Expediter
We have EZ Pass and the Florida Sunpass (because we live in Florida). Anywhere that doesn't take EZ Pass we just pay cash as we are not there that often.

We're the same way. Minus the FL Sunpass. We just pay cash anywhere that doesn't take EZ Pass. If you had a pass for every state that had toll roads you would probably get pulled over for Obstruction of View...lol

Sent from my SCH-I405 using EO Forums

dancorn

Veteran Expediter
This reminded me that I wanted to enroll my van in easy pass, which I just did. In the enrollment process there was a question on vehicle type where you had to choose weight, under 7000 lbs or over 7000lbs. If an unscrupulous person, surely not me, listed their van at under 7000 lbs when it was actually 9400, what would be the results? I realize no one on here has ever done this but thought you may have heard of someone who had tried it. Thanks.

Here is your reward for reading this: Last week we delivered to a plant in Western Arkansas and was standing in the guard's office making small talk. I asked the young guard "Whata you'll make here?" He quickly and proudly replied "I make $7.50 an hour and the plant people make even more!" I smiled and turned the conversation to the weather.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
This reminded me that I wanted to enroll my van in easy pass, which I just did. In the enrollment process there was a question on vehicle type where you had to choose weight, under 7000 lbs or over 7000lbs. If an unscrupulous person, surely not me, listed their van at under 7000 lbs when it was actually 9400, what would be the results? I realize no one on here has ever done this but thought you may have heard of someone who had tried it.

I've never heard of anyone doing that, but I've seen the scales we drive over as we approach the booth, so I can guess what would happen, lol.

Thanks.

Here is your reward for reading this: Last week we delivered to a plant in Western Arkansas and was standing in the guard's office making small talk. I asked the young guard "Whata you'll make here?" He quickly and proudly replied "I make $7.50 an hour and the plant people make even more!" I smiled and turned the conversation to the weather.

jamespope

Not a Member
I just drive through OK or TX tolls...nothing sent in the mail.....been over two years since I've been doing it....LOL! cargo van

skipped Canada tolls too....nothing

ezpass was broken...they sent me letter I threw it out...nothing else heard over a year...

if they ever ask I'll tell them I know the EO MAFIA

Kristi

Active Expediter
This reminded me that I wanted to enroll my van in easy pass, which I just did. In the enrollment process there was a question on vehicle type where you had to choose weight, under 7000 lbs or over 7000lbs. If an unscrupulous person, surely not me, listed their van at under 7000 lbs when it was actually 9400, what would be the results? I realize no one on here has ever done this but thought you may have heard of someone who had tried it.

I've never heard of anyone doing that, but I've seen the scales we drive over as we approach the booth, so I can guess what would happen, lol.

Thanks.

Lol...too funny

Sent from my SCH-I405 using EO Forums