To stop or not to stop.

Skyline

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I cross these "tracks" twice a day with hazmat and perform the standard stop and flashers procedure. You will note in the picture that there are no tracks, accept across the road. All the train crossing signs are still present, including road markings. All the school buses stop and follow normal procedure without fail, so I do the same. Not wanting to take any chances. I suppose road signs overrule all else. What would you do?

Attachments

• IMG_20160310_1110065~3.jpg
    IMG_20160310_1110065~3.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 64

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I would stop, for the same reasons the school bus drivers stop.

§ 392.10: Railroad grade crossings; stopping required.

(b) A stop need not be made at:

(1) A streetcar crossing, or railroad tracks used exclusively for industrial switching purposes, within a business district, as defined in § 390.5 of this chapter.

(2) A railroad grade crossing when a police officer or crossing flagman directs traffic to proceed,

(3) A railroad grade crossing controlled by a functioning highway traffic signal transmitting a green indication which, under local law, permits the commercial motor vehicle to proceed across the railroad tracks without slowing or stopping.

(4) An abandoned railroad grade crossing which is marked with a sign indicating that the rail line is abandoned,

(5) An industrial or spur line railroad grade crossing marked with a sign reading “Exempt.” Such “Exempt” signs shall be erected only by or with the consent of the appropriate State or local authority.

Reactions: Skyline

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I would go back at night and pull the signs out!
Even if you pulled all the signs out, you'd still have to stop. There must be a sign that says "Exempt" or that the tracks are abandoned.

dangerous-crossing-02.jpg

COB_Matteawan_BDline_RRXngEXEMPT_sign_at_Churchill400X300.jpg

NinCtYpGeip2ZH9BkjZ.Rg_m.jpg

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I cross these "tracks" twice a day with hazmat and perform the standard stop and flashers procedure. You will note in the picture that there are no tracks, accept across the road. All the train crossing signs are still present, including road markings. All the school buses stop and follow normal procedure without fail, so I do the same. Not wanting to take any chances. I suppose road signs overrule all else. What would you do?
Is that the train bound for no where?

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
All those rules are for railroad tracks,if the tracks are torn up,no longer there then it is not a railroad crossing.

Reactions: JerryK

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
I stand corrected, there must be a sign.
(4) An abandoned railroad grade crossing which is marked with a sign indicating that the rail line is abandoned,

You would think a judge would throw it out if the tracks were removed,but I would stop,better safe than sorry!

Reactions: Skyline and Greg

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It is like those school zone flashing lights that work during March break....or its 11pm at night and they are stuck....or we think they are stuck, there might be a night school class in or some other activity in the school.....basically.....just obey the rules of the road....lets not even get into construction zone speeding...LOL

Reactions: Skyline and Greg

tknight

Veteran Expediter
It is like those school zone flashing lights that work during March break....or its 11pm at night and they are stuck....or we think they are stuck, there might be a night school class in or some other activity in the school.....basically.....just obey the rules of the road....lets not even get into construction zone speeding...LOL

How about all trucks in left lane only and your getting blasted by trucks in the right lane just missing your mirror at 76 mph in a 50 scary stuff happens all the time !