To Get Back In Or Not?

Nessmuk

Expert Expediter
12 years ago I drove cube van for a O/O leased to CTX. I really enjoyed it. The money was good and CTX was pretty good folks to deal with. The down side the O/O was a real putz to deal with. On my way to buy a van of my own a friend talked me into going to driving school and picked up a CDL A. From there I went to work for a O/O leased to Roberts Express operating a E unit in the White Glove Service. I ran team and we raked in the money. To be honest it was the best pay I ever had driving a truck. Plus the O/O was a real saint. He knew how to take care of his drivers. The internet boom started to take off and I wanted to go back to the computer industry. The bubble burst and I was back in a truck. Sadly my O/O passed away and my former job went with him. Then I started hauling general freight over the road. Three years ago I started working for a carrier who hauls parts for General Motors. It's the same stops the same time every day.
The company is having troubles and they keep cutting our pay. Combined with losing some contracts and GM plant closures we have lost of lot of business. I have a feeling my route will be next.

Here is the question. How much has expideting changed in the past 10 years. I sit in the truck and think about the pay checks and the fun.
I got a kick out of the cool and interesting places I ran for
Roberts. Has the pay gotten worse or better? What units seem to do the best now? What I remember is the money not being too bad and even with a O/O we had some freedom in operating truck.

I apologize if thease seem to be alot of questions but I am trying to make a career choice. It looks really doubtful if I will have a job in the near future. We have Ryder comming to town and taking over all the contracts. (forget ryder they offer to hire us for 10 bucks a hour) Local jobs that pay anything almmost unheard of around here. If I have to go back on the road, I am thinking that getting back into expediting and owning my own unit. At least I have a little bit of control over when I come and go. If you can think of any thing I should know that has changed in the past 10 years that I have not asked about feel free to speak up.

Thanks for listening

Nessmuk/Dale

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
To put it bluntly, the pay is less and the overhead more. There is still a lot of opportunity to bring in the bux, if you play your cards right. Your best bet is to get a class 8 straight truck. Look up the posts from here, and you'll get a lot of info on them. If you want to be daring, get a cabover with a 30' box. You'll have what it takes to haul many a trailer load, without the fuel guzzling. I've been driving mine (28' box) for three weeks, and have had 2 E-unit loads. If you feel more comfortable in with a trailer, that's not a bad bet either. Most on here will tell you to stay away from B-units, as the industry is flooded with them.

One thing that has changed in the past 10 years is the number of companies to choose from. Most are specific need companies, ie you have to decide what is most important in a company... staying regional, more miles, money on pu or delivery, family atmosphere, etc. It means there's something for everyone (except the few who gripe about everything), but it also means more competition... fewer loads and bidding wars.

Since you have the experience in expediting, you should do well to get back into it. Spend some time around here and ask the questions, and folks will be more than happy to give you guidance in making the right decisions.