TIRE WEAR

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
THANKS ALOT EVERYONE! THANKS DD FOR MENTIONING WHICH TIRES I HAVE, I GUESS I SHOULD'VE DONE THAT AT THE START! HOPE EVERYONE IS HAVING A GOOD WEEKEND!

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!

SHARP327 :)

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Before we start hammering the dealers and builders, remember that Class 7 trucks come out of the factory designed for local and regional work,not otr.

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
OK IF YOU HAVE A CLASS 7 TRUCK, BUT I HAVE A CLASS 8 TRUCK WHICH WAS HAILED AS FINALLY A TRUE CLASS 8 EXPEDITER, SO WHAT NOW? IS IT OK TO LET THE HAMMER FLY?, OR SHOULD WE SUCK IN OUR LOWER LIP AND POUT ABOUT IT?

I DON'T WANT TO BE A JERK ABOUT THIS BUT SOMEDAY I'D LIKE TO BE ABLE TO SHOW A PROFIT AND THAT'S NOT POSSIBLE WHEN YOU HAVE TO PAY OUT BIG BUCKS FOR OTHERS MISTAKES OR LIES.

I REALLY LIKE THE TRUCK ALOT AND IF IT HAD BEEN SPEC'D CORRECTLY I'D BE FISHING AND NOT SITTING HERE USING UP MY OFF TIME TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT I CAN DO TO SOLVE SOME OF THE TRUCKS PROBLEMS AND NO ONE TO DATE IS VOLUNTEERING ANY CURES THAT I'M SURE THEY ARE AWARE OF!

GONNA WATCH THE BRICKYARD 400 NOW SO YOU ALL BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!

SHARP327

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter

aquawarrior7

Expert Expediter
We are having similar problems ith our tires too. The steering wheel shakes horribly from 45 to 55 mph speeding up, slowing down and just staying the same speed. We had the tires changed less than a year ago because of this and it's happening again already. We will have to check with our owner to see if we can try some of these remedies or just better tires. Wish me luck

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
To re-apply my earlier thoughts, I think it is the bushings or the kingpins if alignments, centramatics, shocks, and the correct tires don't solve the problem. Spend the few dollars and have it put on a suspension machine. It will find this problem. This machine is not a alignment machine. And speaking of that, make sure when doing alignments, that you are doing the whole truck and just not the front. Back axle could be out and you wouldn't know it. If the vibration is in the steering wheel, it is the front end. If it is in the floor or seats, it is the rear axle.
In addition, rubber neoprene bushings are used on both class 7 and class 8 trucks. If a heavy suspension is ordered, they only add a leaf ect for the springs. They don't change anything on the bushings. I don't believe brass bushings are used by any of the manufacturers when the truck is new except Western Star. Don't take the WS as fact, I can't remember if I read that somewhere or someone told me.
Seems to be a problem that keeps coming up. I listed what it took to get mine fixed. If someone else corrects the problem differently, let everyone know.
Davekc

The Gibster

Expert Expediter
Add us to the tire wear dilema!

Dave - is it commonplace to simply replace the neoprene bushings without replacing the kingpins? I'm thinking costs and if the brass require a different groove or seat, etc.

We're at FYDA Frtlnr in Yo'town and when I mentioned the brass bushings to the service tech I got the deer in the headlights look, and that they had never heard of that. I'm assuming Frtlnrs are the same-same here as other trucks spoke of in all the posts.