Tire Chain Info for Newbies

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Diane and I were on the road for over seven years before we found ourselves in a spot where tire chains were required for the truck to legally proceed. Like most anything else I have never done before, a bit of apprehension preceeded the event.

It is not hard to chain up a truck, but there is enough to it that a newbie should practice before chaining up in a real-world circumstance. It is much better to practice in nice weather in the daylight than to fumble and bumble around trying to figure it out (perhaps in the dark, falling snow and wind) when the need is real.

There are two kinds of knowledge. One is the hands-on knowledge that will come to you when you practice. The other is the chain laws for each state driving in. Here is a link to the state chain laws for the states that have chain laws.

I practiced before chaining up for real and was glad I did. Practice boosted my confidence in the chains and in my ability to put them on. When the "chains required" signs went up, I did not look like an unprepared idiot parked on the side of the road while trying to chain up. A number of drivers did and I was proud to not be among them.

Last edited:

moose

Veteran Expediter
Do not listen to him !

they are a worldwide known criminals ,
still think they did not do that original crime ?
then why do they need a lawyer in the truck at all times ?

and what about that nice truck ?
how do you think they paid for all of it ?
it was a money Landry scam ,
the money came from all the gold on Mr T chest and fingers .
they tricked him to give it up while he was in rehab ,
after loosing a boxing fight to a one rocky Balboa .

Dexter was right !...

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
do not listen to him !

They are a worldwide known criminals ,
still think they did not do that original crime ?
Then why do they need a lawyer in the truck at all times ?

And what about that nice truck ?
How do you think they paid for all of it ?
It was a money landry scam ,
the money came from all the gold on mr t chest and fingers .
They tricked him to give it up while he was in rehab ,
after loosing a boxing fight to a one rocky balboa .

Dexter was right !...

rofl :d:d:d

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
My first experience chaining up,was at best a mess.I didnt have the first idea of how to do this job.My usual move was if the chain law was up I went to the motel,but in this instance I was on a load that had to be delivered on time,so I broke out my chains,in this case cables,cheaper and easier to install,so I was told,but not by me.By the time I had my tires ready for travel 2 thins happened,I was as wet as if I had jumed in a lake,and the chain law came down.