Tire brands/ Tires in the Detroit area

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
CBA Tire in Taylor is a decent spot to get new tires. Granted, my nephew works there, and I got a small discount because of that. I'm not plugging them for that reason. LOL I'm plugging them because I had to change crap steers after 50,000 miles, and they charged less for Bridgestones than the owner paid for the crap jobs. You'll pay around $700 out the door for steers, depending on what tires you get.

I don't recommend Waddle's in Brownstown. They didn't even balance the crap steers they sold the owner of my truck. For an extra few bux, don't skimp on tires. Get a well known brand. Michelin, Bridgestone, Yokohama. If you get a lesser known brand, you're asking for them to start breaking down after 40k-50k miles. At least twice as long for the better tires.

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
FYI- Belle Tire (either GRR or Allen Park) has take-off tires they get from Gainey. A set of BR287 steers cost me about $350 each. They are like brand new. Apparently Gainey has a beef with Bridgestone, and their trucks go straight to B.T. to take them off out of factory. A set of BR-EL drives are reasonable as well.

Jayman

Expert Expediter
If you get near Terre Haute, IN...Fort Harrison Truck Tire Center is pretty good, from what I hear. Top of the line Michelin steers for about $360

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I failed to mention that's $700 for both tires. Just don't want anyone to think I paid that for one. LOL

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We're having good results with our Michelin steer tires. Over 70,000 miles on them, on an 11,800 lbs. front end, and they have a lot of life left in them. Won't know for sure how far they will go until we reach that point, but they have not crapped out like some of the steer tires we had on fleet owner trucks. That may be partly due to Michelin quality. Running H-rated tires instead of G is probably a contributing factor too.

The Michelin dealer just down the road from the truck stop in Fort Wayne is regarded by some as one of the best alignment shops in the nation. Having done business there myself, I rank them among the good ones. When new tire time comes, we will likely make a special trip there to get it done.

While cost savings are certainly possible with tire choices, I'm more inclined to pay for quality and buy the best tire I can. Tire failures can be inconvenient at least and deadly at worst.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Absolutely. And when you take into consideration the good tires last about twice as long as crap jobs, you aren't saving anything by spending less.

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Are you referring to McMahon? They are across? from the Ft. Wayne truck stop, and they are giving me a good price on take-off BR M720's sight unseen. The cost for a set of Yoke. 517's hasn't been beat anywhere yet. Shrader in Ypsi, Ft. Wayne, etc. seems to be another reasonable place.