Time to get on the ball in Expediting

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have been looking into options for another vehicle. I might put a team into my D unit and get another unit for me. I've looked at this Aerocell, http://www.unicell.com/bodies/aerocell.html because it can have a 17' body giving 16'8" behind the seats. That's either 2 skids with a huge home or 3 skids with almost 5' for home. I suspect it is tall enough to stack short skids and the payload capacity is up to 6k pounds. That does require logging but there are other options as well. The 17' is available on both Ford and Chev/GMC chassis as well as 15' and 12' lengths.

It seems like the Aerocell line offers the best overall package based on reliable chassis and living space and load capacity. Well over half the runs I have made in my D unit could have been made in this unit even in the 2 skid configuration including the run I just got 2 minutes ago and the sleeper area would be as large as my 96" Bentz while having significantly lower operating costs than my D unit. Good luck to you whatever way you go.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
My dodge had dual barn doors. More than big enough to take a skid. The single door is just as large and I don't think would be much of a issue although I'd suggest the dual for ease. Also make sure you keep the hindges lubed, I had the door fall off in my hand once. Pin rusted in place and broke :)

Ebay Item 4540041841 it's got a full interior but uhh.. no windows. Talk about a boring ride :) But, it is a 1 ton maxi cargo and it looks to be very nice (of course, go look before you bid or have it looked at) it's a 02 with 32K on it.

Gotta love auto traders long links..

[link:www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=178235132&dealer_id=1050084&car_year=2003&search_type=both&make=DODGE&model=RAMVANV8&transmission=Automatic&distance=0&address=55405&advanced=&certified=&max_price=&min_price=&end_year=2006&color=&start_year=1996&drive=2+wheel+drive&color3=&color2=&isp=y&engine=8+Cylinder&doors=Two+Door&fuel=Gasoline&lang=en&cardist=1124|2003 1 ton maxi cargo, 16,000 23K]

[link:www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=173865751&dealer_id=78852&car_year=2003&num_records=100&search_type=both&make=DODGE&distance=0&make3=&transmission=Automatic&model=RAMVANV8&make2=DODGE&address=55405&certified=&advanced=y&model2=RAMWAGON&max_mileage=&max_price=&min_price=&first_record=201&end_year=2006&color=&start_year=1996&drive=2+wheel+drive&isp=y&pager.offset=200&engine=8+Cylinder&body_style=VANS&lang=en&fuel=&doors=&cardist=930|2003 1 ton maxi cargo 18,000 24K]

Belive it or not. There are still some new 03's sitting on Dodge dealer lots too ;) So you might want to call your local dealer and see if they can locate a new old stock one.

That should get you started. Good luck!

LaPurr

Expert Expediter
Well, I wont be going to the truck show in Louisville. Its going on 1am in the morning, Im still at work, and going to be here for some hours. So will try to catch next one. But as far as me and my wife go on the expediting bit, its going to happen, its just matter of time...;-)

LaPurr

Expert Expediter
Well I went out shopping around at some vans, trying to get an idea of what I would like to get into. I found a 98 1 ton dodge extended maxi van. Has the 5.2, auto, overdrive, cloth seats, cruise, rear heat and AC, its white, and has a RAISED ROOF!! No for the bad stuff, its a passenger van, so it has all the windows, it was previously a handicapped assist van, has the ramp thing still in the back, needs tires, and the AC charged. The pump for the handicapp thing is already out, just the ramp and wires remain. The ramp will be easy to take out, fill the holes with some silicone. The wires, since they are 4 guage, can be used to run my backup batteries. AC recharge can be done by me, its still has a slight charge, just not enuf R134A. Tires, I can get them cheap, as my current job has a account with michelin. Now what can I do about the windows. As Panther II doesnt allow them. Is there a way to take them out, and seal them off with a peice of sheet metal on the outside, and some wood slats on the inside for insulation? At least this is what I was thinking. The biggest plus is that it only has 94xxx miles, and is cheap (and I mean cheap). I could have the van, sleeper built by myself, and windows covered for under 5000 bucks. At least that is my guessing. Any thoughts on this setup?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would ask Panther if they would allow it with painted windows. (same color as the body) This would be pretty inexpensive I would think.
Just a thought
Davekc

LaPurr

Expert Expediter
Time for another update..

I am currently waiting for my wife to get her Class C CDL. She went in and took the written test, and failed,,,, MISERABLY!!. You are allowed to miss 10 and still pass, she missed 21 out of 50 questions.. I got a feeling its going to be a bit of time befor something finnaly rolls in on this one LOL..

As far as the cargo van goes, I will give panther a jingle, and see if they allow the painted windows thing, that would definetly be alot cheaper in the long run, and still provide the needed insulation for the rest of the van. I talked the guy down to 2500 on that maxi van. That is so tempting... But I wont purchase anything until I know whats going on with the wife. Dont want to get into something I cant get out of.

Now my next series of questions for you guys that own the Maxi Dodge vans, or anyone else that might know. The GVWR on a maxi is only 8600 LBS. I am trying to figure out how much the van weighs befor this to even see if it has the ability to take an aditional 2500 LBS in cargo. Not to mention, I dont know how much the raised roof weighs. Any sugestions here? Thought about taking it to a CAT scale to get her weighed, but that would be completely mute as the wheel chair stuff is still in the van, and that stuff isnt light. So, as i said, any ideas here guys?