TIME MAGAZINE

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A recent issue of Time has pictures on the cover of "The most influential people in the world".

Barack Obama: A first term senator running for president. Has the potential to be influential if he becomes president. What has he done to date to influence the world?

Leonardo DiCaprio: An actor. He was great in the movie What's Eating Gilbert Grape. Okay, maybe he wasn't acting. A world influence? I hope not!

Queen Mum: ???????

Some super model: ?????

Tony Dungee: Winning football coach, inspirational and probably an all around nice guy. One of the most influential people in the world?

Al Gore: Movie producer. Wow!

Nancy Pelosi: Speaker of the House. She certainly is in a position to be a world influence.

Some blonde actress: ?????

There were a few others that I could not place. If these people are the most influential people in the world, we are in a world of hurt. I don't recall seeing Hillary on the cover. Must have been an oversight. Or the editors thought her head was too large.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Good point.

Our media all too often develops lists of the best, worst, most popular, prettiest, best dressed and most influencial people in the world, or even the universe. More often than not, many of these people are the just the actors and sports figures most visible to the public. They usually deserve none of the above, except in their own eyes and the minds of the editors of the magazine or entertainment show developing their lists.

Cities and town do the same thing in acknowledging entertainment or sports figures. How many times have you entered a city, town or village and seen the green sign announcing "home of the 2002 AAA boys baseball champions" or "home of Jerry West" etc., etc. Never have we seen a sign the shows a cities pride in scholastic or academic achievement, only sports or entertaiment feats are recognized. Sad.

Black Sheep

Expert Expediter
Yet another example why the mainstream media shouldn't be taken seriously by serious people. This all ties in with their liberal agenda. Buying this rag is a waste of money - reading it is a waste of time, unless you like comic books.

tallcal101

Veteran Expediter
Please explain the "libral agenda'for my benefit.It seems the very sweeping mandate you refer to might just be an attack tool for the loathsome group in power and those that continue to support the "conservative agenda"(what ever the h*** that might be)!!
I'm sure someone as blackish and sheepish as you could never support and promote the current excuse for leadership we are currently suffering under.
I would further point out that the The National Review is a mirror of most mainstream news "rags"in their view of the current mess in Washington.If William F Buckley is calling for the head of W,you might have a hard time selling me on Time and Newsweek being out of step,or spreading a "libral agenda".

Jayman

Expert Expediter
I dont know how Hillary or Nancy Pelowsi made it. But, my man Tony Dungy deserves to be there!

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Right. When Buckley calls for Bush' head, you know the right wing is not happy about the mess this admin. has gotten us into. Note that former Gen. Baptiste is also joining the chorus: and he spent 30 yrs. in the military, most recently in Iraq. In case some folks forgot, seems the GOP got a "thumpin" in the last elections, and they have no viable candidate in the fold. That's why we see Obama being promoted, since Hillary voted for the war and still supports it, just like Obama, et al. Phony posturing...

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You are so right. Who gives a darn if Ms. Hilton gets 45 days in prison! Like a talk show host said, Arrnnolde should give her 45 more for asking for a pardon.

MSinger

Expert Expediter
>Check out Thompson from TN. I think he will run over
>Hillary and Obama.

You are RIGHT!!! I just hope we can get him into the race!!!!

2002 GMC Savana 3500 DRW 15' cube 10,000 GVWR "Old Yeller"
former Penske truck

Black Sheep

Expert Expediter
Evidence of the "liberal agenda" of publications like Time Magazine can be found just by reading the lists of these so-called most influential people. The magazine recognizes those of marginal significance that promote liberal causes while ignoring George Bush, declaring him a "lame duck". Please explain how Raul Castro, President Al-Bashiri of the Sudan and Osama bin Laden (who very well may be dead) are more influential to the world at this point in time than the President of the US. Barack Obama is not the first black candidate for president, has accomplished nothing during his first term in the senate and Nancy Pelosi hasn't passed one shred of significant legislation since becoming speaker of the house. Regarding influential celebrities - Rosie O'Donnell and Brad Pitt?? How does repeatedly being on the cover of supermarket tabloids equate to influence? If they are two of our most important entertainers, the industry is truly at an all-time low.

We should expect Time's influential people to be the same types they used to be have as their Man of the Year. Those people influenced world events either positively or negatively, and they were either Popes or the likes of Winston Churchill, FDR, Hitler or the Ayatollah Khomeini.

Regardless of whether you agree or disagree with Bush's policies, the influence he has on our daily lives far outstrips that of anyone on the list of world leaders. Their list just reflects the results of a popularity contest among journalists.