tickets in NY for running APU's

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
OK, I was just talking with a driver who told me he was ticketed in NY state for running a diesel APU on his truck. The cop told him the NY law reads NO diesel engines can be idled. I thinks he was pulling my leg on this one. Anyone out there heard of anything like this?
Layoutshooter

sixwheeler

Expert Expediter
Personally I think every truck driver in this country should boycott all these communist punk ##### no idle states until they come to the conclusion trucks idling isnt so bad after all.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've heard the rumors, but not from anyone whose gotten a ticket. It doesn't make much sense, does it. Oh yeah, we're talking about NYC.

Oops, you did say New York State. I've heard of this happening in the city.

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I noticed that in the rest areas in New York State they have signs that state that it is illegal to idle any Diesel engine in the rest areas. I guess that would include an APU. I didn't think they were that rabid about it though. I don't care much for New York anyway. I'd say they gave me a good excuse to turn down loads going there.

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
>OK, I was just talking with a driver who told me he was
>ticketed in NY state for running a diesel APU on his truck.
>The cop told him the NY law reads NO diesel engines can be
>idled.

The fact of the matter is this: when an APU is running it is NOT idling, it is running at work load speed.
I believe your chain is being yanked or the cop was a dimbulb.

Rex

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Shortly after the no-idling law went into effect in New York state, tickets were issued to truck drivers using APUs. That was called a glitch by state officials that said APU use was legal under the law and the situation would be corrected as enforcement officials were educated. I do not recall the news source but do recall the story.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't know if the guy was yankin my chain or not but it sure sounds like something the yahoos in NY would do. Maybe we just should block all the interstates going in there one day. See how long they could go without all the toys they want that only trucks can handle. Layoutshooter

babs3361

Expert Expediter
So where is NY my map doesn't show it. There is a reason for that. Last time at a consignee in Albany I need to use a bathroom and they didn't have one for me. I asked them where did they go. But drivers couldn't use it. I hate the Rude ashhhhh people in the New England States, so part of my anger management directive they are no longer in my map.

Coco

Seasoned Expediter
This text is taken from the New York State Idling Restriction Guidelines Handbook.

(g) AUXILIARY POWER UNITS: Operating an auxiliary power unit, generator set, or other mobile idle reduction technology as a means to heat, air condition, or provide electrical power as an alternative to idling the main engine is not an idling engine.
(1) operating an auxiliary power unit or generator set on all model year 2006 or older commercial diesel vehicles is permitted.
(2) [reserved for sub- section on operating an auxiliary power unit or generator set on 2007 and subsequent model year commercial vehicles.]

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Thanks for that one, I thought the guy was pulling my chain, or it was an old story. Layoutshooter

Coco

Seasoned Expediter
In another section of the Idling Guidelines I found a sub section that allows a diesel engine to idle for the warmth and comfort of the driver when the temperature remains at a constant 25 degrees. Wow that's cold!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
How nice of them. I bet they would arrest a dog owner if he left his hunting dog outside without heat all winter. Layoutshooter

bryan

Veteran Expediter
HI

Maybe if all the produce haulers turn off their reefer units while in the great state of New York everybody over there will die of food poisoning and we can give the land back to the Indians.Las Vegas for New Englanders.If this happened I wonder if they would call it Indiana?

S

sucbadriver

I am a victim of new york’s anti idle law I wasn’t given a ticket for idling I was arrested for being an environmental polluter. The charge came with a min fine of $10,000.00 and no im not kidding. It is a misdemeanor charge that can be beat only 2 ways 1. hire an environmental expert to testify on your behalf my lawyer told me they cost more than the min fine. So lets scratch #1. 2 by using the epa’s website against them on the epa’s web site it states those tickets should be used to force the truck’s owner to invest in anti idling tech. And if the owner does the ticket “should be forgiven†hahahahaha we are talking ny here. So I bought an apu at that time it cost me $6200.00 then $2,400.00 to install it then the lawyer charged me $875.00 and after I did all that the scumbags in ny charged me $495.00 for “malfunctioning equipmentâ€. Do the math it cost me $9970.00 under ny law you can not idle unless 1. it is required to protect the freight 2. 25% or colder and you are going to be in the truck for at least 2 hours and then idling must be limited to 15 mins at a time. I had to do the research on the laws you don’t think a lawyer does that for $875.00 do you. Landline mag had an article about uninformed ny cops writing tickets for apu’s saying that they are legal in ny but the cops weren’t getting the message. I believe if you are an OOIDA member they can get you a reprint I may call them myself and ask them to post it on the web site so we can download it. This way for those of you that will go to ny city <<notice no where will I capitalize ny lol. Here is a helpful website for idle regs http://www.epa.gov/otaq/retrofit/documents/s03002.pdf note Huston TX the TX legislature passed a law making it illegal for and local government to pass anti idling laws citing that you can not force a driver to shut down for a federally mandated break in the state of Texas and deny the driver of air-conditioning << someone got it right. My self I will never pick up of deliver a load in the greater nyc area I was on long island when I got arrested. I don’t give a rats butt about that part of the country because of that arrest. I don’t think they deserve to have any trucks go into the nyc area they don’t want us there so screw them. Let them go to New Jersey for their good’s in pickup trucks for all I care.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That REALLY sucks!!!!!!!!!! Sure would be easy to block access to NY.
Maybe that is what is needed!!! Layoutshooter

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
I just came out of new york and they were rude as heck. Mind you i get hastled alot being young and in this. but one guy was giving me directions and all i did was repeat to make sure i heard him right and hes said "you better grow up boy this is the big leauges now". Well i was going to say some sort of a Detroit Tiger comment in here but i (like always) keep cool and calm. Well come to find out he showed me to the wrong dock.

Anywho, to keep on topic since i was in New York i did see these signs and did wonder about the APU since it says no diesel engine idleing. Thanks for clearing that up.