Thinking About Getting Back Into Vans... Most Reliable and Cost-Effective?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What was the spec change between the model years that you wanted but didn't want to wait for?
I wanted the chrome front bumper/ halogen headlight package, cruise control, 3:65 rears and some other minor goodies that I don't recall. If I order a new vehicle I want what I want. The one thing I absolutely wouldn't give on was the rearend. Everything that came off that line had a 4:10 rear end. Apparently GM only runs cutaways and cab chassis for a short time. I didn't get my order in soon enough and would have had to wait for the next model year run.

Reactions: roadeyes

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
And now that you've had a taste of the Transit, if you are still on the road if/when the time comes to get a new van again, would you stay with the Ford (assuming the specs on the Transit are still similar to what you have now), or would you still prefer to go with the GM cube?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The Transit isn't available with the 6 speed transmission that I have. All new Transits come with a 10 speed, which I believe to be overkill. To quote davekc: "Why complicate the simple". For that reason alone I would not get another Transit. Also the cutaways and cab chassis are not available with the EcoBoost but I would consider a cutaway with the naturally aspirated engine if it came with a 6 speed.

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
The Transit isn't available with the 6 speed transmission that I have. All new Transits come with a 10 speed, which I believe to be overkill. To quote davekc: "Why complicate the simple". For that reason alone I would not get another Transit. Also the cutaways and cab chassis are not available with the EcoBoost but I would consider a cutaway with the naturally aspirated engine if it came with a 6 speed.
John Cronce in Stevens Point, Wisconsin at Steffaldi commercial Ford is a very knowledgeable guy when it comes to setting up Transits, Econoline cutaway, etc. He tells it how it is,, no sugarcoating anything. I was ready to put the order in for a new E350 before the Covid hit. He sets them up right. The 10 speed is most likely going to be a widely used transmission by many automakers. Something about a joint venture by several automakers.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Going on 360k on my 06 Sprinter. Still need something newer for expedite. Does anyone know the current year requirements, 2015 acceptable for carrier's? The price and demand is at all time high so waiting for the market to generate more supply.

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
360,000 miles aren't anything for a van, if it is properly maintained. I've heard of a reputable company requiring 2019 or newer for a van. Some are more lenient depending on condition. Call the company that you are thinking of leasing onto for an accurate answer to your question.

Noname

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I'm a little over 317,000 on my 2017 Transit, and it's time to visit the garage. I think I have torque converter shutter, but also anticipate that more extensive work might be required. Any thoughts on reman transmissions, if it comes to that? I had a Jasper reman engine once in a GMC van, it served me well. Current reviews for Jasper are not as good as I would like, but there are a limited number of complaints. Any other transmission sources that you would suggest, or avoid? I'll consider Ford, but suspect they are $$$$.

Then again, maybe I just need to change fluids, in which case I will have a Happy Thanksgiving week!!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Before I retired most companies required no older than 5 years to sign on and annual inspections (or maybe more often) to confirm they are still in acceptable condition.