They're baaaack!!

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Just saw Hostess brand Twinkies, Donettes, and chocolate cupcakes on the shelves at Wally world.
Can the orange cupcakes be far behind? I think not. :D
Sent from my SCH-I545 using EO Forums mobile app

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Everyone is all a twitter about the new Twinkies. They're smaller than before. The new company, Hostess Brands, say they are "exactly the same size as they were when the old company went out of business last year." That's true, as the old company had changed the size of the Twinkies a week or so before shutting down, However, very few of those smaller ones actually made it to shelves, so no one knew about it.

The old ones were 1.5 ounces and had 150 calories. The new ones are 1.4 ounces and have 125 calories.

The new ones also have a different recipe, but that's a recipe that the old company implemented just days before the baker's strike, so none of those made it to shelves, either. The change in the recipe mainly takes the Twinkies from a 26-day shelf life to an impressive 45-day shelf life. The added shelf life seems a little strange, considering the demand for Twinkies and how fast they fly off the shelves. Sales have been at record levels since they reappeared 3 days ago, orders are running three-to-six times production capacity, and most stores sold out within hours of stocking the shelves.

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Longer shelf life equals more chemical preservatives. Mmmm Mmmm good!

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Turtle a/k/a Professor of Twinkology
Old habits, and interests, die hard. I spent more than 20 years in the foodservice industry, from dishwasher and busboy, to apprentice chef and sous chef, butcher apprentice, to 16 years in restaurant management. Combine that with all those marketing classes I took in college, and "all things food" still catches my interest.

To this day I still subscribe to four industry trade magazines (NRN, Nation's Restaurant News, (the bible of the industry), Chef Magazine, Restaurant Hospitality, and QSR), and frequently peruse more than half a dozen others. It shouldn't then come as a surprise that the top-selling snack food in all of America is one that peeks my interest, despite the fact that I rarely eat Twinkies.

Did you know that way back when, before the shelf life was increased to 26 days, Twinkies had a 3-day shelf life, after which they were shipped back to the dozens of bakeries where the 3-day old Twinkies were sold from the bakery's thrift store at a reduced price. Many, I'm sure, remember the Hostess Thrift Stores, some of which still exist. The new 45-day shelf life in on par with the competition, incidentally.

As for Twinkology, not that I am one, but the correct term in Twinkieology (Twinkieologist). Twinkieology may not roll off the tongue as effortless as Twinkology, but once you know what a Twink is, you'll understand why you might not want it to roll off the tongue at all. Despite the terms being utterly related, they are terms you really don't want to mix up.