There's a new type of B unit now

interstategar

Veteran Expediter
Feb 11, this past Thursday I checked the VRU for B units checked in PHI. It was posting a White Glove B unit on layover.
I called and talked to my CC and was told its a one of kind experimental Temperature Control White Glove B unit. A Sprinter
fitted with Twmp Control. It was only offered to current B units.
About 30 minutes later that unit wasn't showing on the PHI board but 1 C unit suddenly appeared on the PHI board. No B loads were dispatched so obviously they didn't want everybody to know that this type of unit exists. I asked for a call back
from a Jason Vance who handles this type of unit at the office in Green. Funny-never got a call back.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
You need to read more.

FedEx Custom Critical put the word out months ago that a BR-unit was being added to the fleet on an experimental basis. The owner of that unit participates in the EO Open Forum. The unit is pictured in his posts and profile. The unit was discussed in this thread in November, 2008.

Last edited:

interstategar

Veteran Expediter
"FedEx Custom Critical put the word out months ago"

Where did they put the word out months ago? I never received any info from them.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
It was months ago so I do not recall exactly. I believe we first learned of the experimental BR-unit in a weekly fleet bulletin received by e-mail. If not that, then by an e-mail of another sort that was sent to multiple contractors. It may not have gone fleet wide but news of the BR unit did go out.

Sorry I cannot be more specific. The news did not strike me as especially significant so I did not make special note of it.

UPDATE: OK, I found the message. It was a special e-mail from the manager of White Glove Services, presumably sent to the White Glove fleet. The addressees were not specified in the message but from the wording it was clearly sent as an announcement to multiple contractors.

It was sent on August 26, 2008.

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have known about this "New" B unit from almost day one. I know the O/O. I have run a load or two with him and his brother. Nothing new here. Layoutshooter

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Come on Jack when ever some one meets you or see's your BR unit you stir up talk! Beside the fact that you are fun to visit with.

interstategar

Veteran Expediter
Never thought of it as a secret. Whereas there is only one unit out here at this time I wouldn't expect much talk about it.

Is it very profitable to run this type of unit? If it is hopefully it will be offered to B units who aren't currently in White Glove.
B units are barely able to make a living now if at all...

D Team Brothers

Expert Expediter
I run several trucks and they are all profitable, or I wouldn't be running them. I certainly understand about things being slow, but reading past posts clearly explain we have to expect this and be prepared for the slow times. Bob & Linda, the van stirs up talk because everyone wants to know about those AIRTABS that I learned about from you! Or they ask about those SLUSH BUSTERS that I learned about from you guys! Stop telling us about these things so I can stop buying and talking and get some work done!

interstategar

Veteran Expediter
"AIRTABS that I learned about from you"

I have no idea what your talking about. Glad to see that type of B unit is profitable. Perhaps FedexCC will grant equal access to running that type of unit in the future if they decide to add more to the fleet.