"There will be no gun control in my county."

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There are far more law enforcement people out there who will not work to dismantle the Constitution than some may think. IF for no other reason they KNOW what would happen if the tried.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
My understanding is that he's not so constitutionally solid on other issues, though. That's a strange place with some strange laws down there.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
My understanding is that he's not so constitutionally solid on other issues, though. That's a strange place with some strange laws down there.

What's strange about it?? A sheriff in Kentucky is the highest ranking ELECTED law enforcement officer within his jurisdiction. Appointed government officials, such as agents of the ATF, are supposed to be subservient to elected officials. Sheriff Peyman is saying if the Federal appointees want to force the issue in his county, the matter will go through the courts for a ruling. You might have noticed Sheriff Peyman stated he has received numerous phone calls from attorneys in Kentucky advising him he is on solid ground and they are prepared to help him in court.

Do you think counties and states exist only to administer the whims of a far-away Federal busybody? Federal overreach has to be slapped back.

Here's another commentary on Sheriff Peyman: Kentucky Sheriff to Feds: 'You Are Never Going to Pull Guns Out of Jackson County'

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
What's strange about it?? A sheriff in Kentucky is the highest ranking ELECTED law enforcement officer within his jurisdiction. Appointed government officials, such as agents of the ATF, are supposed to be subservient to elected officials. Sheriff Peyman is saying if the Federal appointees want to force the issue in his county, the matter will go through the courts for a ruling. You might have noticed Sheriff Peyman stated he has received numerous phone calls from attorneys in Kentucky advising him he is on solid ground and they are prepared to help him in court.

Do you think counties and states exist only to administer the whims of a far-away Federal busybody? Federal overreach has to be slapped back.

Here's another commentary on Sheriff Peyman: Kentucky Sheriff to Feds: 'You Are Never Going to Pull Guns Out of Jackson County'
No, I think states exist as independent, sovereign political bodies who got together to form the federal government.
What's strange is that Kentucky and Peyman's county in particular have some strange-*** laws, like against dancing in public, and against liquor sales anywhere other than a bar. If you buy any substantial quantity of beer in another county and bring it to your home in that county, you can be arrested for bootlegging. How can he claim to be a constitutionalist and enforce laws like those? Would he enforce a seatbelt law?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
No, I think states exist as independent, sovereign political bodies who got together to form the federal government.
What's strange is that Kentucky and Peyman's county in particular have some strange-*** laws, like against dancing in public, and against liquor sales anywhere other than a bar. If you buy any substantial quantity of beer in another county and bring it to your home in that county, you can be arrested for bootlegging. How can he claim to be a constitutionalist and enforce laws like those? Would he enforce a seatbelt law?

Those are not Federal laws. Those things are reserved for the State or local governments. That is very much in line with how the Constitution is set up. If enough people in that local or state jurisdiction don't want those laws they can repeal them.

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people."

aristotle

Veteran Expediter

The Appalachian section of Kentucky has some customs peculiar to the region. Alcohol and guns do not mix well. They will not give up their guns, so to the extent possible, booze is discouraged.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
The Appalachian section of Kentucky has some customs peculiar to the region. Alcohol and guns do not mix well. They will not give up their guns, so to the extent possible, booze is discouraged.
I really don't think that's their reasoning.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
AMonger... what I see happening in Jackson County, KY is a microcosm, a tiny cell, of a nascent grassroots movement reacting to a possible Federal move against 2nd Amendment rights. Notice these citizens are meeting with their Sheriff. Scenes similar to this are likely playing out in many small towns and burgs.

I think the Founding Fathers would approve.

Last edited:

bobwg

Expert Expediter
from K2radio.com Wyoming state law makers have proposed a bill called "the firearms protection act" that will ban enforcement of any Federal Gun ban in Wyoming.

cubansammich

Not a Member

I agree. Aunt Mom and Uncle Dad can't shoot straight while they're hammered on sour mash.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I agree. Aunt Mom and Uncle Dad can't shoot straight while they're hammered on sour mash.

Sour mash or anything else for that matter.

Guns, however, have NOTHING to do with why there are "dry counties". It is more of a "religious" thing as most "blue laws" were where ever they were put into place.