The Trump Card...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Give me a break! How can this be explained away as misspoke? Hardly!
IMHO, of course.
When you do a gazillion interviews on a gazillion subjects and the questions and answers volley back and forth in rapid fire, it's easy to misspeak. It can be explained pretty easily. When Obama visited Buckingham Palace he signed the visitor's registry "24 May 2008." It was 2011. Did he fabricate that date? Did he lie? Or did his mind tell him the wrong date?

Remember when Obama said, ”In case you missed it, this week, there was a tragedy in Kansas. Ten thousand people died-an entire town destroyed.”? You probably don't, because the media didn't crap themselves over such a blatant lie. Only 12 people died. But, hey, 10,000, 12, close enough for the mainstream media. To the rest of us, those are alternative facts.

Remember when Obama talked with George Stephanopoulos about his "Muslim faith: when he really meant to say his "Christian faith."? Morons had a field day with that one, too.

Remember when Obama said during the campaign that he'd been to all 57 states? Was he thinking about the 57 Islamic-member States of the Organization of the Islamic Conference when he said that? I dunno. I think he misspoke.

Remember when Obama said his daughter Malia was 13 years old, when she was really only 12? Alternative facts liar.

Remember when Obama said, “The reforms we seek would bring greater competition, choice, savings and inefficiencies to our health care system.”? OK, in his defense, that one actually turned out to be true, but I think he really meant to say "efficiencies" instead of "inefficiencies."

Remember when Obama told Joe the Plumber, “When you spread the wealth around, it’s good for everybody.”? Oh, wait. Bad example. He was serious about that.

But yeah, I think she misspoke. She probably had the word "massacre" floating around in her head after hearing it ad nauseum by the media talking about Trump's firing of AG Yates as being exactly the same as Nixon's Saturday Night Massacre (even though they weren't even remotely the same).

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Just few toons....

aria_c14831920170201120100.jpg

tmdsu17013020170201125617.jpg

mle170131c20170130083451.jpg

mle170128c20170126091607.jpg

567f172a50ca23e13d1956bf399f833c.jpg

Reactions: davekc and muttly

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Everybody misspeaks sometimes. You want to say one thing and something else comes out of your mouth. It happens.
My mother in law calls me by my brother in law's name sometimes. Then she realizes that she misspoke and apologizes. Then will do it again in the future.
BTW, when Kellyanne Conway used that term alternative facts, I knew what she was saying. The media presents news that is supposed to be factual, but often it isn't. So she was saying that it has to be corrected with facts that is the alternative to what was presented.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Everybody misspeaks sometimes. You want to say one thing and something else comes out of your mouth. It happens.
My mother in law calls me by my brother in law's name sometimes. Then she realizes that she misspoke and apologizes. Then will do it again in the future.
I still remember typing right here in these forums something or another about the Sprinter's throttle body. My mind said turbocharger, the conversation in the thread was about turbocharger, but my fingers typed throttle body. It happens.
BTW, when Kellyanne Conway used that term alternative facts, I knew what she was saying. The media presents news that is supposed to be factual, but often it isn't. So she was saying that it has to be corrected with facts that is the alternative to what was presented.
Sean Spicer said in his first press conference, "This was the largest audience to ever witness an inauguration, period. Both in person and around the globe."

The trouble was, he said that in response to the photos showing Obama had a larger crowd, so that's the context in which everyone took his statement to be, and Spicer didn't make it crystal clear that he was talking about worldwide overall. What the press heard was, "It was the largest audience in person. It was also the largest audience around the globe."

What he should have said was, "This was the largest audience ever to witness an inauguration when you combine the in-person audience, the worldwide television audience, and mobile device audience. Period."

Because that's true. It's a fact.

But when Chuck Todd was interviewing Kellyanne Conway, Todd's context was solely within the realm of those side-by-side pictures. Todd is stating a fact, Spicer stated a fact, both were facts, with one being an alternate fact to the other. Todd and Spicer got their facts from different sources, It wasn't until the next day when Spicer was able to clear up the confusion in the next press conference, but the "alternative facts" damage was done, reTweeted a bazillion times, and will forever be attached to Conway at the hip.

BTW, if you're not sure who Chuck Todd is, here he is with Bill Murray.

Groundhog-Day.jpg

Reactions: muttly

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
you'd think ALL White house staff and FOX would call it.....a "suspension of travels rights" from countries the US considers the highest threat. the use of the word ban makes it "sound" worse then it really is....
I mean Turtle "suspends" posting rights for a certain period and if deemed a threat to the peace of the site you get "Banned".....

Coming to the US is a privilege, not a RIGHT no one has a right to come here...

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

OVM, that sentence sums it up for me! I honestly don't understand why this is such a difficult point for everyone to agree upon.

I caught the WA Attorney General, Bob Ferguson, being interviewed last night. Yesterday he tweeted: "No one is above the law - not even the President." Simply a political move on his part, nothing to do with the law. I'm sure lots of people in the Pacific Northwest are pleased with his action. The guy is a fart as far as I'm concerned ... :)

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
you'd think ALL White house staff and FOX would call it.....a "suspension of travels rights" from countries the US considers the highest threat. the use of the word ban makes it "sound" worse then it really is....
I mean Turtle "suspends" posting rights for a certain period and if deemed a threat to the peace of the site you get "Banned".....

I do agree with many of these judges and the screamers that those with previously granted visas and green cards should have been exempted from the ban. Revoking visas without just cause was a dick move. I don't have a problem at all with putting a temporary pause on new immigration while more thorough vetting procedures are worked out. Particularly from those 7 countries (and a handful of others) where obtaining vetting information even about an individual's criminal history is impossible.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

I do agree with many of these judges and the screamers that those with previously granted visas and green cards should have been exempted from the ban. Revoking visas without just cause was a dick move. I don't have a problem at all with putting a temporary pause on new immigration while more thorough vetting procedures are worked out. Particularly from those 7 countries (and a handful of others) where obtaining vetting information even about an individual's criminal history is impossible.
Maybe just too much of a hurry without thinking of the little details?

Reactions: Grizzly

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Maybe just too much of a hurry without thinking of the little details?
With a dash of arrogance thrown in?

Trump wants a Muslim ban, and everybody knows it. But that's ridiculous, and everybody except Trump knows it. Trump does have broad powers to suspend or ban immigration from certain countries, and if he'd left out the part about giving preferential treatment for religious minorities this executive order would have probably been fine.

There are no recent Supreme Court cases that have dealt with religion and immigration, but old rulings have gone in favor of using such a test for immigration, be it religion or some other viewpoint, tests that clearly cannot be applied to citizens or anyone else on US soil. For example, someone in the US championing communism can't be discriminated against, but the same person applying for a visa can be.

100 years ago a Muslim bad would have been allowed by the Supreme Court. Today? I have serious doubts. It's maybe 50/50. In the modern era, federal immigration law has generally cited religion to protect and welcome refugees facing religious discrimination by other countries. In 1980, for example, Congress passed an amendment to the Immigration and Nationality Act to protect some potential refugees facing “fear of persecution” on account of their religion, among other factors. So, it's kinda hard to tell people, "If you're being persecuted because of your religion, we welcome you, unless it's a religion we don't like."

Reactions: Grizzly

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Been working on that for a while, havent ya.
LOL, no. I snagged that off CNN's Twitter feed. I have no idea who created it. But it's brilliant. CNN Tweeted out a story about what REALLY happened in Bowling Green. Because, you know, they haven't quite gotten the mileage out of this that they want. That picture was posted on Twitter in response, amongst the rather colorful responses that CNN usually gets on their Tweets. (Either CNN's Teeter is a bot, or they are a glutton for punishment). Scroll down and you'll see it.

Reactions: Ragman

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
This is easily the funniest thing I've seen on SNL in years.

"Now let me wave something shiny in front of your monkeys."

"I will put you in the corner with CNN!"

"It's not a ban. It's not a ban. The travel ban in not a ban which makes it not a ban."

Last edited:

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
He may surprise a lot of people. I wouldn't be too quick to write him off.
WOW, just happened to look at the first page of this thread. Dave, you're looking pretty smart right now. Please PM me the next Powerball #

Sent from my hand-held Etch-A- Sketch

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
This is easily the funniest thing I've seen on SNL in years.

"Now let me wave something shiny in front of your monkeys."

"I will put you in the corner with CNN!"

"It's not a ban. It's not a ban. The travel ban in not a ban which makes it not a ban."

McCarthy did a good imitation of Spicer. Sometimes SNL has some bad imitators, but it looks like she has a new gig for awhile.

Reactions: Turtle