The Trump Card...

ATeam

Retired Expediter
"Contrived is putting it mildly. The New York DA is twisting this case into a legal pretzel that will end up breaking apart. Funny how Hillary Clinton was able to quietly settle a similar FEC case by paying a fine, while the feds didn't even bother to pursue the allegations against Trump.

The critics may have valid points about the Manhattan DA and the indictment and case he is expected to produce. But the comments are a bit premature, are they not? NO ONE outside the grand jury and the DA's office has seen the evidence. No one actually knows what will be filed until it is actually filed. It seems best to me to wait to see what case we are talking about before talking much about the case itself.

My views about waiting won't stop the pundits from doing their pundit thing. And whether they are right or wrong with what they say today, they'll simply keep talking in their perpetual efforts to sway public opinion one way or another. But I have no need to sway public opinion. So I'm not going to weigh the merits of a case until the case itself is made public.

I will confess a certain curiosity about the case that will be brought. There was an investigation into the hush money matter some time ago and it trailed off after two key prosecutors resigned. Then the investigation came back to life as the DA brought it to its current state. I know a book was written about this by one of the prosecutors who left. But I have not read it or read about it. This matter is not of great enough interest to me to be worth the time that reading would take. I'm content to be curious now and informed later when the case comes out.

The thing that interests me most about this is the idea that Trump is likely to be justifiably charged with a crime. That breaks a huge barrier and sets a new precedent; which will make increase the momentum of the accountability train that has been heading Trump's way for a while and gets closer by the day. .

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
An Interesting Item

I don't know that it matters much in the greater scheme of things but it's interesting to note that Trump announced the upcoming arrest he expects to come. That news was not broken by the DA, it was made by Trump. The same held true with the Mar-a-Lago search. The DOJ did not make news of the search public. Trump did. It seems he likes to take the lead in announcing Trump-adverse actions like these.

• Haha
Reactions: danthewolf00

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Another legal expert and former FEC commissioner weighs in on Bragg's budding fiasco:

“A settlement payment of a nuisance claim is not a federal campaign expense,” said von Spakovsky, a senior fellow at the Heritage Foundation. “The state DA has no authority to prosecute a federal campaign finance violation in any event.”

They mainly want the photo of Trump in custody preferably with handcuffs and the perp walk so they can use those pictures forever more against him.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
The problem is many left leaning people do not see or refuse to see the double standard that both the Democrat leadership and now law enforcement use.....
If your a Republican you get the book thrown at you.
If your a Democrat you get let off with a light slap on the wrist.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
An Interesting Item

I don't know that it matters much in the greater scheme of things but it's interesting to note that Trump announced the upcoming arrest he expects to come.
What's even more interesting is the use of the term "arrested".
He might be indicted, but he won't be arrested.

To be arrested, would indicate taken into custody.
That's not going to happen.

• Haha

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The problem is many left leaning people do not see or refuse to see the double standard that both the Democrat leadership and now law enforcement use.....
If your a Republican you get the book thrown at you.
If your a Democrat you get let off with a light slap on the wrist.
Very few actual liberals around anymore. They’ve been replaced by the Hard Left. Gone are the defenders of constitutional rights for people they politically disagree with.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
An Interesting Item

I don't know that it matters much in the greater scheme of things but it's interesting to note that Trump announced the upcoming arrest he expects to come. That news was not broken by the DA, it was made by Trump. The same held true with the Mar-a-Lago search. The DOJ did not make news of the search public. Trump did. It seems he likes to take the lead in announcing Trump-adverse actions like these.
Oh
6B7F503A-952F-45F1-8672-18E85302B894.jpeg

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
They mainly want the photo of Trump in custody preferably with handcuffs and the perp walk so they can use those pictures forever more against him.
And I forgot about the mask that they will make him wear. Can’t forget about the mask.
9AFC5E68-5E12-4E31-A970-6C009E51A400.jpeg

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Democrats are foaming at the mouth to get trump on anything....all this does is feed to the base voters on both sides.
January 6th was a riot not a insurrection.....you do not want a insurrection because it will make 2020 riots look like a toddler having a tantrum.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Democrats are foaming at the mouth to get trump on anything....all this does is feed to the base voters on both sides.
January 6th was a riot not a insurrection.....you do not want a insurrection because it will make 2020 riots look like a toddler having a tantrum.
They’ll do anything to try to take people’s focus off their screwups with the economy and the banks.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A Fake Tweet That Communicates a Real Truth

View attachment 22297
This makes a good point, and today Alan Dershowwitz expanded on it. The threatened indictment of Trump has no legal legs to stand on. Could it be that the Democrat party has evolved from simple character assassination to political persecution and prosecution of their opponents?

Reactions: muttly

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
An Interesting Item

He liked to talk about people who play the victim card, is that not what he is going with these "leaks" making himself look like the victim?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
The threatened indictment of Trump has no legal legs to stand on.
As I said above, it's a bit early to decide what the legal merits of the expected hush money case are, since no one has yet seen the case (if one is brought) or the evidence on which it is based.

That said, plenty of people are talking about the expected case. One of them is attorney Ryan Goodman, who, with another attorney did a survey of business records falsfication cases previously done by NY DAs. His piece, published in the NY Times today, provides a credible rebuttal of your claim that the expected indictment "has no legal legs to stand on."
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited tweets from Goodman:

I just published (with @SivenWatt @NormEisen) this Survey, which shows how commonplace it is for NY district attorneys to charge cases under statute at issue. Applying the principle of treating like cases alike, prosecutors would be well advised to pursue indictment of Trump if evidence supports it.

An argument @AWeissmann_ and I make in today’s NYTimes. We draw on past NY prosecutions from the Survey. Also, Weissmann and I explain that the most straightforward case may be: To charge Trump for falsifying business records in connection with the intent to have Michael Cohen falsely claim the hush money payments as income on his state tax returns. Plus we note the potential for another shoe to drop in any ongoing larger financial investigation of former President Trump by the Manhattan DA’s office.

Here are samples of cases in which NY district attorneys have thrown the book at individuals for falsifying business records - some cases involving actions far less egregious than Trump’s alleged conduct.

For the felony there only needs to be falsification of business records with _intent_ to commit or conceal a second crime. New York courts are very clear on that point (even including acquittals on second crime). People v. McCumiskey, 12 A.D.3d 1145 [4th Dept. 2004].

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: muttly