The Trump Card...

ATeam

Retired Expediter
The Biden lawyers that found the documents didn’t have security clearances.
Correct, but they were still smart enough to realize the docs were government property and they turned them in. Even as it seems the government did not know they were missing. No requests for them had been made by the archives or DOJ.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
If the Shoe Fits ...

Legislation regarding the federal debt limit is already in the news and will dominate the headlines soon. When that debate firestorm spreads, Trump supporters and Biden critics will do well to remember that the Republicans are as good at increasing the federal debt as the Democrats.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
How do you know that?
Like I said before, topics like security clearance and associated information catches my attention. I pay attention to casual blurb mentions in news stories, I've read books that discussed clearances, I had to complete training materials when I got my clearance that mentioned, specifically, as an example, the president and vice president regarding authorities, privileges, prohibitions, and routine practices.

Additionally, the 35th vice president, under Harry Truman, was Alben W. Barkley, from Paducah, KY (technically Lowes, KY). Spurred by the suggestion and support of Barkley, Truman signed the first executive order creating creating the concept of classification of material and clearances.

In Western Kentucky you'll find the Land Between the Lakes (LBL), land which sits between Kentucky Dam and Kentucky Lake, and Barkley Dam and Barkley Lake. In Paducah is the historic Whitehaven House, which uniquely also serves as the Welcome Center at the Rest Area on I-24 in Paducah. A large part of the second floor in the house is a museum of personal objects of Barkley. On display is a set of long-ago declassified materials that Barkley (improperly) took from his time on office as Vice President. You can't hold, examine or read them beyond the visible fragments under the first page, but they're there. They were removed from his home when he died in 1956, and remained in storage in a warehouse until they were moved to Whitehaven in 1983.

Reactions: muttly

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If the Shoe Fits ...

Legislation regarding the federal debt limit is already in the news and will dominate the headlines soon. When that debate firestorm spreads, Trump supporters and Biden critics will do well to remember that the Republicans are as good at increasing the federal debt as the Democrats.

While it's true that Mitch McConnell has never seen a spending bill he didn't like, the fact remains that the Democrats have had control of all three branches of govt for the past two years. We've seen how that's worked out. Also, Trump will have nothing to do with this upcoming process - he's irrelevant. Why bring him into it? McCarthy and the GOP controlled House will be the ones in the spotlight and have a chance to show us what they're made of.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
While it's true that Mitch McConnell has never seen a spending bill he didn't like, the fact remains that the Democrats have had control of all three branches of govt for the past two years.
Yes, and regarding the federal deficit, there has been movement in the right direction. On Oct 21, 2022, Biden announced: "Today, my administration announced that this year the deficit fell by $1.4 trillion — the largest one-year drop in American history — $1.4 trillion decline in the deficit." (Source)

We've seen how that's worked out.
Yes we have. See above.
Also, Trump will have nothing to do with this upcoming process - he's irrelevant. Why bring him into it?
Correct. I bring him into it only to show that the deficit increased nearly $5 trillion under his Republican administration; only to show that the Republicans lack the standing to blame the Democrats alone for the deficit insanity that prevails today.

It is interesting to note that the deficit can in fact be reduced (see above). The last time the federal budget was actually balanced was when Democrat President Clinton and a Republican-controlled Congress worked together to make it so.

That was after Ross Perot ran for president as an independent candidate on a fiscal responsibility platform. In July, 1992, he topped the polls in the three-way race. He might have gone on to win if he had not dropped out of the race for inexplicable reasons. But the support he got prompted the two major parties to heed the warning the people sent and balance the budget.
McCarthy and the GOP controlled House will be the ones in the spotlight and have a chance to show us what they're made of.
Yep, and the early indications are not encouraging if it matters to you that the US credit rating remains strong. If we default on government bond payments, the global financial markets will panic and a lot of otherwise avoidable harm will come to institutions and individual citizens alike.

At the grass roots level, I cannot think of a more effective, immediate, and lasting way for a party to alienate itself from the voters than to prompt, in a way that is directly attributable to that party, a default on people's social security, student financial aid, and medical disability payments.

The last time the government was shut down, it was shut down intentionally by Trump in his attempt to pry loose funding for his wall. Three weeks later, he caved because the pressure from all sides to reopen the government was intense. At that time, Trump had stature that was much greater than that band of rebels that now have the power to disrupt the House of Representatives.

While I have no doubt they are willing and maybe even eager to prompt a default and shutdown, I don't see them able to resist the pressure to keep the government open and the US top credit rating intact.

Last edited:

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Ross Perot dropped out in 1992 mainly because he saw that the Democratic Party was unifying around Bill Clinton and likely going to win. Clinton ran on a theme of helping the “middle class” and giving them a tax cut. But he didn’t follow through with that agenda and instead soon after getting elected heeded to his Democratic controlled Congress’s desire to increase spending. It wasn’t until the Republican “revolution” of 1994 and them taking control of the House in a long while that changed the direction. Bill Clinton realized that if he didn’t work with the Republicans (balanced budget among other things) that he would soon be next to be voted out of office. It was more about his political survival at that point.

Reactions: Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes, and regarding the federal deficit, there has been movement in the right direction. On Oct 21, 2022, Biden announced: "Today, my administration announced that this year the deficit fell by $1.4 trillion — the largest one-year drop in American history — $1.4 trillion decline in the deficit." (Source)
Not the first time Democrats and Biden have taken credit for the drawdown of govt emergency spending for Covid relief. He also confuses govt debt with deficit - they're not the same. The use of Joe Biden remarks as a fact source is usually not a good idea.

"President Biden wrongly claimed Tuesday that he lowered the national debt by $1.7 trillion — when in fact the debt grew by nearly $3.7 trillion during his first 23 months in office...
The national debt was roughly $27.75 trillion when Biden took office, according to the Congressional Research Service. It is about $31.43 trillion today."

Regarding the deficit, it appears there have been no plans to reduce that either.

"As policymakers enacted emergency measures to combat the COVID-19 crisis, federal budget deficits ballooned to levels not seen since World War II. Although the deficit has reverted to pre-pandemic levels as the United States winds down pandemic spending, deficits are projected to grow significantly over the coming decades—an ominous trend that will put increased strain on the federal budget..."

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Ross Perot dropped out in 1992 mainly because he saw that the Democratic Party was unifying around Bill Clinton and likely going to win.
I was deeply involved in the Perot campaign at the state level. His reasons for dropping out are not even close to what you suggest.
Clinton ran on a theme of helping the “middle class” and giving them a tax cut. But he didn’t follow through with that agenda and instead soon after getting elected heeded to his Democratic controlled Congress’s desire to increase spending. It wasn’t until the Republican “revolution” of 1994 and them taking control of the House in a long while that changed the direction. Bill Clinton realized that if he didn’t work with the Republicans (balanced budget among other things) that he would soon be next to be voted out of office. It was more about his political survival at that point.
My point remains valid. The people were demanding fiscal responsibility and a divided government responded.

ATeam

Retired Expediter

ATeam

Retired Expediter
"As policymakers enacted emergency measures to combat the COVID-19 crisis, federal budget deficits ballooned to levels not seen since World War II. Although the deficit has reverted to pre-pandemic levels as the United States winds down pandemic spending, deficits are projected to grow significantly over the coming decades—an ominous trend that will put increased strain on the federal budget..."
The politicians panicked when facing covid and their solution was to shower people with free money. Today's inflation (weakening dollar) is partially a result of that. I believe the US dollar will be the next bubble to burst, shattering the world economy, but also clearing the way for a new, international reserve currency to rise that can bring more benefits to people worldwide than the present system which brings benefits mostly to the rich.

If the House Republicans manage to default on the national debt and thereby degrade the US credit rating, it will only speed the dollar-collapse outcome I expect.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yep, and the early indications are not encouraging if it matters to you that the US credit rating remains strong. If we default on government bond payments, the global financial markets will panic and a lot of otherwise avoidable harm will come to institutions and individual citizens alike.
If there's a shutdown, the US government will not default on its bond payments - period. The govt would continue to take in taxes and other revenues that would cover this debt, and it has the ability to "print money" thanks to Nixon's abolishment of the gold standard.
At the grass roots level, I cannot think of a more effective, immediate, and lasting way for a party to alienate itself from the voters than to prompt, in a way that is directly attributable to that party, a default on people's social security, student financial aid, and medical disability payments.
It seems like the Democrat party uses this scare tactic every election cycle, and it's pure malarkey. Unfortunately, it's encouraged by the mainstream media and the general public doesn't understand that govt shutdowns primarily effect non-essential services and their employees who still end up getting paid for any time they may miss during the shutdown.

Essential Federal Services and Agencies Not Affected by a US Government Shutdown

Here are the essential federal services and agencies that remain open in a government shutdown:
  • Defense, National Safety, Security – They are set up in such a way that they can operate for several weeks without a funding bill
  • Border Protection and Immigration
  • Transportation Security Administration (TSA)
  • US Justice Department – Except for the issuance of gun permits, which is suspended
  • US Postal Service – The USPS can access a different source of funds
  • Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid – Funding is automatic and part of the mandatory budget

ATeam

Retired Expediter
If there's a shutdown, the US government will not default on its bond payments - period.
A shutdown and a default are two different things. One does not imply the other. A recent change is "tough talk" from some Republicans about a willingness to default. Democrats are not threatening a default. Some Republicans are.

To maintain ingegrity with the thread titles, It might be best to move this discussion to the What's Going on in the US House of Representatives? thread

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

ATeam

Retired Expediter