The Trump Card...

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Betsy DeVos has been confirmed as Secretary of Education by 51-50 vote. Nice to see the teachers' unions and Democrats lose one they really wanted.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I hope it's a loss for a better reason then just beating the unions!
Matbe that's why some GOP could not support her as she is a secret supporter of common core.
“Parents, educators, and grassroots activists across the state of Michigan know exactly who DeVos is and her position on Common Core,” Karen Braun tells Breitbart News the day after DeVos joined Trump in Grand Rapids at a “Thank You” tour stop in her state.

“We’re not fooled by a single, carefully parsed statement on a webpage that she is ‘not a supporter – period,’” she says. “We know the truth. We experienced it first hand. So have many Michigan lawmakers; but for some reason they continue to stay silent and give DeVos a complete pass. Loyalty to DeVos trumps loyalty to the truth, apparently.”

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Betsy DeVos has been confirmed as Secretary of Education by 51-50 vote. Nice to see the teachers' unions and Democrats lose one they really wanted.

As much as I think trump is going to make things better, this is one he got wrong, I foresee massive amounts of taxpayer money going to private schools that have zero accountability.

I feel sorry for our grand children.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

As much as I think trump is going to make things better, this is one he got wrong, I foresee massive amounts of taxpayer money going to private schools that have zero accountability.

What does Mrs. Amway care?she sure doesn't need the job

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
OK rags spit it out LOL
It's going to be a fun 4 years or less..
:american-flag:
Seems more like three years and 1 year of campaigning
I almost hit the "agree" icon, but I didn't because it's not enough. Our American political system is evolving into a continuous campaign; a deeply flawed and horrendously expensive process in which the new campaign begins the day after the previous one ends. We're seeing it right now from the Democrat party that has been taken over by the radical, spoiled brat left-wingers who neither understand nor give a dam about the integrity of our country's political process.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

I'm going to disagree with that statement, but with an asterisk. First of all, she just got confirmed today so we really won't know how she'll affect our educational system for a couple of years. Agreed, it's probably a stretch to expect all of Trump's cabinet picks to be winners, but will she be a worse pick for the Dept of Ed than Arne Duncan (former head of Chicago school system) or the assistant Kevin Jennings - founder of the Gay Lesbian Straight Education Network (GLSEN) nominated by Barack Hussein Obama?

Also, consider that private schools DO have accountability - to the parents that send their children to them for their education. My grandson goes to a private school. Unlike public schools, their students can be withdrawn by dissatisfied parents and sent somewhere that meets their requirements.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm going to disagree with that statement, but with an asterisk. First of all, she just got confirmed today so we really won't know how she'll affect our educational system for a couple of years. Agreed, it's probably a stretch to expect all of Trump's cabinet picks to be winners, but will she be a worse pick for the Dept of Ed than Arne Duncan (former head of Chicago school system) or the assistant Kevin Jennings - founder of the Gay Lesbian Straight Education Network (GLSEN) nominated by Barack Hussein Obama?

Also, consider that private schools DO have accountability - to the parents that send their children to them for their education. My grandson goes to a private school. Unlike public schools, their students can be withdrawn by dissatisfied parents and sent somewhere that meets their requirements.

There will be some that take the vouchers and go to private schools and flourish, and for those students that's great.

The problem is you are going to start seeing and hearing lots of advertising for more private "online" schools. You are going to get the parents who don't want to let their kids out of their sight, and then you are going to get the kids who are too lazy to get out of bed to go to school. Either way, it's going to take lots of money from our public schools and put it in the pockets of greedy executives.

All I have to say is there better be some accountability for all of these "schools" that are going to pop up.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would say public schools are pretty greedy. Where is their accountability when the graduation rate is horrible? From what I have seen most private schools have a lower cost per student than do public schools. Vouchers do come out of taxes so I'm not sure why if a public school can't provide a better education than a private one what entitles them to that money?

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Some of these department heads are starting to look like the top 10 in Forbes magazine
And I'm sure these Oligarchs are really interested in making expediting great again. Sorry, that's right, in this country they aren't called Oligarchs, they're cabinet secretaries

Sent from my hand-held Etch-A- Sketch

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A lot of members of Congress send their kids to private schools. They must like them.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Earlier, somewhere in this thread, I voiced my opinion on Betsy DeVos, being that I think picking her is a mistake. I didn't expound on why, so I'll get into that here, briefly.

But one thing, if the Democrats had been honest with the other cabinet picks, instead of being purely partisan and obstructionist, then there would be plenty of Republicans with the open door to be honest about DeVos, and in that case I don't think she would have been confirmed. It would have been so obvious that she would have withdrawn for some personal reason or another.

My problem with DeVos is that she's a one trick pony, with her hobby horse being school vouchers. That's fine if she were to be Secretary of School Vouchers, but she's not. She's going to head up the entire Education Department, which deals primarily with a school system in which she has ZERO experience. She grew up in the Catholic school system, then went to Calvin College, a private Christian (Protestant Reformed) college. Nothing wrong with Calvin, except it further distanced her from the pros and cons of public education. And there's nothing wrong with that either, unless you want to become Secretary of Education. She's had 4 kids not go to public school. She doesn't know anything about public schools. Why not make her the Secretary of the Navy, since she's precisely as qualified for that job as she is for Education?

Based on her comments and actions over the years, she believes that whether a particular charter school is good or bad, or even dreadful, it's still better than any public school. And the charter schools she's championed in Michigan are nationally famous for just how bad they are.

My mother used to be the Secretary to the Superintendent of the public school system (the school board) in my town, so I got to see up close how it all works, including how, like most unions, the teachers union, if left unchecked is doing more harm than good at this point. The city school system in my town is one of the highest rated in the state (top 10 for many years running). So I got to see what works and what doesn't. I did go to public schools growing up, so I have my own, astonishingly outdated, experience, as well.

The schools today need to stick to the hardcore subjects (reading, writing, mathematics, the sciences, civics and government, world civilizations, US and world histories, etc.), and stop with the progressive social engineered crap fluff. The really successful schools (including private schools) do just that. The teachers union wants to teach emotions and feelings, and teach it for more money, leaving less money for school infrastructure and, you know, teaching stuff. But I digress.

To touch on another relevant subject... no, charter schools accepting taxpayer-funded vouchers really aren't held accountable, at least not to the people funding the schools. Being accountable to the parents is great, as long as the parents are footing the bill. As soon as you introduce taxpayer money into it, especially for tuition, then strict taxpayer accountability should come into play.

Rather than expend any energy or taxpayer money on school vouchers, all of the focus on the Department of Education should be on cleaning up the curriculum, streamlining the system, and the teachers union, and in making sure everyone has an equal opportunity to a good education. Not an equal education, but the opportunity for one. Otherwise, if they focus on anything else at all, there's really no reason for a Department of Education at all.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
This is a pretty intense video right here.

Fair warning to liberals: Don't watch this.