The Trains are Quiet at the Ontario, CA, TA

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Diane and I arrived at the Ontario, CA, TA East last night to find the usual collection of expediter trucks parked in the front lot. Different is the train noise. It's gone. A railroad bridge has been built over Milliken Ave. so the trains no longer need to blow their loud horns when crossing that street.

The newly-constructed track on a firm bed keeps the cars rolling quiet too. There is no clank, clank, clank from cars rolling over loose sections of track. Several trains passed by last night and they are remarkably more quiet than before. A truck driving in the lot makes more noise. Inside your truck with the windows closed, you may not hear the trains at all.

If you have stayed away from this TA because of train noise, you may be pleased to learn that it is gone.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Thanks for that info Phil. My wife will be much happier when we lay over there from now on.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Thanks for that info Phil. My wife will be much happier when we lay over there from now on.

That's the way it is with us expediters; living large in truck stop parking lots, savoring the quality of life improvements as they come!

ATeam

Retired Expediter
It was nice and quiet last night but when the city woke up it became evident that it might be a bit early to name this place Serenity Corner.

Train traffic increased and it was not whistle free. Gone are the loud railroad crossing blasts (two long, one short, one long). Heard in the day but not in the night were two short blasts that engineers sound when a train is moving by workers or equipment. Since the site is still under construction, workers are present; thus the two short blasts during the day when trains move through.

Still, it is much quieter than before.

Last edited:

moose

Veteran Expediter
Now if they can only outlaw the stupid backup alarms from trucks...
but hey, i always impressed with those towns that have a busy 3 wide train truck going right in the middle of town, yet they insists of the 'no Engine brakes' laws.
beside, in our world of trucking we are forced to stop by law to get rested, yet noise pollution is never addressed in places were trucks are designated to park.