the straight truck club

Kristi

Active Expediter
Hello from Tennessee, home for the weekend.

Sent from my DROID X2 using EO Forums

Hey Tenn. It was great to run into last weekend in IL. Glad u made it home. Enjoy your weekend. Hopefully we'll see u again soon :D

Sent from my SCH-I405 using EO Forums

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Hey Phil in about 6 months ill be ordering my NEW sleeper equipped truck, I went down to the Expediters expo in TN and talked to the dealer reps etc, Im hoping to build my HOME away from home. I was trying to get this done earlier but my cash reserves werent enough, Im gonna work thru the summer into Oct and try this again. Im driving a rented truck and ya its a pain in my wallet but I had to get my Credit reports and all that straight and I had issues with bad and out of date info.

Anyones whose tried to get the Credit agencys to correct info Im sure has felt the frustration of dealing with companys who basically ignore you, it took the threat of a lawyer and letter from same for them to do what was right. So now were in good shape, we just need to save a larger downpayment, the downpayment is key.

John Clark has been quite good giving me time to get it all together, and in the midst of all that In December my personal car was rear ended and nearly totalled, after two months its ready and back good as new, between Penskes double dealings, the cash crunch, the accident Im ready to get back and get that money saved for the new rig.

Any suggestions Ill gladly accept, I want to spec a truck right, the first time so Im looking at all the options, I plan on a Under 26000 lb truck based on a Freightliner/ or Peterbuilt, Auto trans, and I may even consider a Natural gas rig....ive got time to make and change Ideas and Specs.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Phil,
That is some awesome info on truck specs !!!!! I found several things I was considering such as tires, and rear axle ratios, your Air glad hand trick is something I have already rigged on may a truck, not only can you air tires but clean the box, cab of truck, air dry after a wash etc...Im more torn on Engines and Longevity and repairs of them, I am a fan of Cummins Engines, and the Allison 3000 Series road Auto trans. You rig is quite a bit larger then what I want, going for a Lighter truck for fuel economy and I just dont need the extra load caps,

As far as sleepers go I doubt Ill have quite as much but I do plan to have some comforts of home, desk, computer and Large screen TVs, I like the Security system Idea. I do some security work and have lots of contacts for this kind of thing, a back up cam and a front mounted cam I think will be added, security is important today and recording accidents or ignorance on the highways is a good thing.

I want to do the same and spec a LONG LIFE vehicle, Ill look at some components that are over rated for the same reasons longevity and durability. The Box and Liftgate, all will be designed for long life and use prem components such as added floor joists for forklift, deck plates, scuff liners etc, I come from a background where I used to build trailers for Great Dane and Freuhauf, so Ive got a little knowledge as to whats TUFF and whats crap....and 1/4" thick cheap plywood isnt worth installing, and using 3/4" in the Nose of the Box to prevent the punch thru's.

What brand tires do you use, Ive been leaning to the Michelin Pilots, Ive used Michelin on most of my vehicles and found them to be very good, but Ive heard of a tire called GT Tires supposedly an Import thats a decent Drive tire, do you prefer a ALL Season radial, or a ribbed or traction tire...????

tknight

Veteran Expediter
If your planning on an under 26kgvw truck, please double check every option you plan on getting, box included for it's gross weight, adding things like ramp, lift gate, even etrack can take away from you capacity, your sleeper adds about 2000, lbs to the gvw as well, as a large fuel tank, think about an extra 800 lbs of fuel in a full tank, it all adds up, you may only have a 8k to 9k payload capacity. Liftgates are around 1500 lbs as well, think aluminum rims too, shaves lbs off the weight of a steel rim truck. Also be sure to confirm the gw of the chassis, add it all up and you might get lucky to acheive a vehicle gvw of less than 18k including driver and passenger giving you only 8 k load capacity with fuel.

tk

Last edited:

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
I definetly planned on Alcoas or Durabrites, No ramps, Aluminum Liftgate platform, I dont think Ill need more then 100 Gals of fuel tanks I might go dual 80s as thats an option Ive seen, But who says you have to fill them all the way Up....weight is an issue but Im shooting for a 8500 LOAD CAP.....Im considering Alum Bumpers, possibly strike the bumper and install a cattle bumper for deer strikes etc...Ive got specs on FRP boxes, Alum Boxes, and others so thats all coming into play....

Kristi

Active Expediter
Good morning friends. Got a paid move from Kansas City into St. Louis. Then from there gonna send the little extra money and dh the extra 60 miles home. Gonna spend the rest of the weekend with the family. Have a good weekend everyone. :0)

Sent from my SCH-I405 using EO Forums

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
Yayyy..... .. wondering what i will do with myself till then. *sigh*
paint??? wondering if there is a art supply place near by

We're in, 5 yrs hus/wife team. Mrs. Retide says to tell you Hobby Lobby is the cheapest, then JoAnn's Fabrics, then Michaels. She ought to know, as we sit here in the bunk surrounded by her scrap booking/photo albums/artsy stuff.......some weekends we can't pass up a supply store without stopping LOL! Whatever keeps her happy, you what they say about that!

rodeojunkie

Seasoned Expediter
@ pearlpro...are you sure you want to spec a truck with that low of a carrying capacity? Are you trying to keep it under 26K to stay away from getting a CDL? I don't know if you have a CDL already :). I drove for 2 owners who were signed on to Load One. The first truck was a Kenworth T-300 with a single rear axle and a 72" sleeper. The second truck was a class 8 Sterling tractor with a 77" sleeper, 22' box, and dual rear axles. It weighed 24K empty and could carry 24K in the box. That truck got me so many loads cause the single axle straight trucks could only handle around 11,000#. I got a lot of tractor trailer loads cause I could handle 10 pallets and 24,000#. Didn't know if you had considered all the options for building a truck. Not trying to tell you how to spec a trucking, just giving you input :).

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
A big plus for me has been my 24' box with a door opening of 103"h x 98" w.

Sent from my DROID X2 using EO Forums

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Im just not wanting the extra expense of the 33,000K and over trucks, dual axles etc, Im staying Light yet 8500# load cap is not to small, Ive had the box filled, 26' box with stuff, I have a CDL but the lighter truck yields better fuel mileage and serviceability, I may change my mind but right now thats where Im headed, Truck has forklift capabilitys, Pair of Dollys electric if I drop anything it probablly will be the Liftgate to pick up another bit of Load capacity. Ive speced that larger box also and have some great bids from Mickie, and Morgan, and others. the truck Ive speced right now has an average fuel mileage of almost 10 MPG on paper, and with rising fuel prices weight is the key.

rodeojunkie

Seasoned Expediter
I can understand that. The average load is probably around 5-6K pounds so you should be fine. I just liked having the big motor (Cat C-15 450 horse) and I still got decent mileage. My philosophy has always been to have more truck than I needed just in case I needed more truck. Good luck in your search!

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
if your spec truck on paper is a 10 mpg truck, thats not any better than most. my m2 112 with a 13L mercedes and an allison gets 10 mpg on avg. and as high as 10.7 at times and its a 33k truck and weighs 23,400. likewise not telling you how to spec but i would let durability figure in the equation. a 33k class 8 is going to give more service life. if i finish adding to my mpg list, i bet i could get this one to 11 plus. i do agree with you on the payload. while other may carry more, we do just fine with this one. we experience no excessive wait time or do we have any weight issues at shippers. had this truck 7 yrs and could count on one hand the loads we have lost cause of weight when we get to the shipper. good luck in your build !!!!!!!!