The Simple Solar Life

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I’ve been working on my van pretty hard. Changing things, setting up things, taking it all back down, try a different direction, etc. That said, I’m very happy right now about it, and just wanted to share.

IMG_3592.JPG

This is my van the day I bought it. Nothing has changed on the exterior except I have a “Fusion” sign on the side.

IMG_4697.JPG
Farthest away...

IMG_4696.JPG
Closer...

IMG_4698.JPG
Even closer...

IMG_4699.JPG
And closest.

I had a full size memory foam mattress that was going to waste. I purchased a Coleman cot from Walmart, thanks to the Promaster being super wide I could just set it up sideways with no alterations to the cot. I cut my memory foam mattress to 30” wide and set it on top and I have been getting some of the best sleep since I’ve been out on the road.

Tv is 32” 1080p set on a swivel, running off a 750 watt inverter. I also have a PS4, will be mounting it in the cubby hole above the cab.

All in all, I love having my van open. I have no etrack. I do have 4 3,000lbs rings, bolted catching the corner of the frame, grade 8 bolts, nuts, and washers used.

Anyway, just wanted to share my simple setup, hope you enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

dalscott

Expert Expediter
I’ve been working on my van pretty hard. Changing things, setting up things, taking it all back down, try a different direction, etc. That said, I’m very happy right now about it, and just wanted to share.

View attachment 18868

This is my van the day I bought it. Nothing has changed on the exterior except I have a “Fusion” sign on the side.

View attachment 18869
Farthest away...

View attachment 18870
Closer...

View attachment 18871
Even closer...

View attachment 18872
And closest.

I had a full size memory foam mattress that was going to waste. I purchased a Coleman cot from Walmart, thanks to the Promaster being super wide I could just set it up sideways with no alterations to the cot. I cut my memory foam mattress to 30” wide and set it on top and I have been getting some of the best sleep since I’ve been out on the road.

Tv is 32” 1080p set on a swivel, running off a 750 watt inverter. I also have a PS4, will be mounting it in the cubby hole above the cab.

All in all, I love having my van open. I have no etrack. I do have 4 3,000lbs rings, bolted catching the corner of the frame, grade 8 bolts, nuts, and washers used.

Anyway, just wanted to share my simple setup, hope you enjoy.

Really looks great!

Reactions: Solar

TFTN-one3B

Not a Member
Owner/Operator
US Marines
Definitely a good start. Can I ask why you didn't put etrack down?

Now just insulate it, get an ac unit and a generator. You can mount a small one on the back door. It will be secure and very convenient. You will also be very happy come mid July/August. Lol

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Definitely a good start. Can I ask why you didn't put etrack down?

Now just insulate it, get an ac unit and a generator. You can mount a small one on the back door. It will be secure and very convenient. You will also be very happy come mid July/August. Lol

I initially wanted etrack at first, but the best setups I saw had the etrack vertical along the wheel housings. That’s how I would have wanted it, doubled it as a bed frame as well, as I see many on here do,

But, I decided against it for reasons, like recently I hauled a Diesel engine, it was a little over 3k lbs. I needed to slide it a few inches to the side for my ocd hauling practices that I can’t help. It was no problem, I hooked onto a ring and slid it over. But with etrack, and my limited carpenter abilities, I doubt I could create the frame to withstand 3k lbs slides. So, I felt in the end, no etrack works best for me.

As far as ac and insulation, you’re probably right, but I don’t want stuff showing I’m living in the van. So, I have a large fan, and if it gets too hot, I get out of the van, lol. Since I don’t have any power to heat or cool, then I don’t see the need to insulate.

Without going too much into it, there isn’t a lot of room in Promasters like there is in say, sprinters, to place a extra battery. I only have 144”, though my wife doesn’t complain, lol, but I need all the space I have, so if I’m not going to have anything hanging outside, then I have to live a conservative style of van dwelling.

Reactions: TFTN- one3Bravo #2

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A Fantastic fan has kept me from dying in the summer 7 years now. Quiet n easy on batteries. I have the portable version too, to put where I want it. I don't think my fat ass could get by the freight with insulation...

guido4475

Not a Member
A Fantastic fan has kept me from dying in the summer 7 years now. Quiet n easy on batteries. I have the portable version too, to put where I want it. I don't think my fat ass could get by the freight with insulation...

7 years ago when I set my van up I bought most everything at the R.V. surplus outlets in Elkhart, Indiana. . The $15.00 single speed exhaust fan still works perfectly with no problems. With the 4 cargo area windows open, it really pulls air through the van at a surprisingly high rate. Very little amp draw as well. I wouldnt have a van without openable windows in the cargo area. The 2 rear small windows on wach side were $7.50 each, and the 2 large ones on each side towards the front were $25.00 each. The best thing I could of done.

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I’ve bought more than a few campers from Elkhart, IN.

guido4475

Not a Member
I love gping there and just walking around, checking things out. That R.V. museum that we see from 80 is also a great way to spend the day out of the heat. Its like 8 bucks to get in, but well worth it. Much bigger than it looks. And they welcome quiet overnight parking as well.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If I was doing a van again and not going to have a generator and A/C I'd have 2 Fantastic fans, one directly above where my head would be while sleeping and another several feet away toward the back. The one above my head would pull air in and the one in the back would push air out. It would create the greatest amount of air circulation that way and theoretically at least keep things the most comfortable. I wouldn't go out without my Quiet 2800 generator in the spare tire well though and a Coleman on the roof. It's just way too hot for comfort during the summer.

Reactions: Solar and guido4475

guido4475

Not a Member
If I was doing a van again and not going to have a generator and A/C I'd have 2 Fantastic fans, one directly above where my head would be while sleeping and another several feet away toward the back. The one above my head would pull air in and the one in the back would push air out. It would create the greatest amount of air circulation that way and theoretically at least keep things the most comfortable. I wouldn't go out without my Quiet 2800 generator in the spare tire well though and a Coleman on the roof. It's just way too hot for comfort during the summer.

I absolutely love my Honda EU3000i, and the Dometic 15,000 btu rooftop a/c works excellent in the heat of Laredo and the Mississippi humidity. Cools the whole 12 ft with zero problems, the temp on 75% cool, and the blower motor on medium.