The safety snitch?

JimF51

Seasoned Expediter
Have meant to ask this before, but keep forgetting. But before I leave this forum, I'll ask.
I can't recall his name, but am talking about the FedEx safety bozo that drives around in the van, checking out drivers and trucks. I was warned about him initially while in Green for white glove orientation by a couple of teams.

I pulled into the LG site up there near Chi Town a few months ago. Some guy is watching me back in. After I bump the dock, and while I'm chocking my wheels and dropping my dolly legs, I see him walking along the far side of my truck. He then walks around and looks at driver side of truck. So I ask him if I can help him. He tells me he's just giving my truck a once over. I ask what for, as I don't particularly like people messing around with my truck. At that point, me intro's himself, asks if I'm having any problems, or do I need any supplies. Tell him 'No thanks", and tell him it would be nice if he ID'd himself 1st, so people would know what was going on. He says he's just doing his job, and off he goes.

Anyone else had dealings with Mr. Checkuout?

Last edited:

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Thats just Terry O'Connell, as in forum member TerryandRene, former mod, 20 yrs with Fedex, now saftey liason.... doin his thang. After some of the crap Ive seen that he finds... they need someone like him out there.

Probly should intro himself first tho lol.

Dale

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Terry has helped me out on a couple of occasions. I would rather him inspect my truck and find something wrong then a DOT officer.
A free inspection without worrying about getting CSA points, fines or being put out of service is a good deal in my opinion. I'll take one any day. It never hurts to have a qualified set of eyes looking for things you may have missed especially if you get complacent because you see it everyday.
I wouldn't classify him as a bozo or a snitch. He has a lot of experience and knowledge which he is willing to share if you take the time to talk to him. He was hired to do a job and that's what he does.

JimF51

Seasoned Expediter
Ok, I will apologize for the name calling, because yes, he is doing a his job. But it leaves a bad taste that he would walk around inspecting my truck, without saying who he is.

And unless he's gonna do a level 1 DOT inspection, he shouldn't find anything wrong on a vehicle that the driver didn't pick up on when he did his pre-trip, unless it just happened.

TeamCozumel

Seasoned Expediter
Jim raises a valid point, however. Terry would do well to introduce himself and try being a bit more friendly initially. Most operators have enough to worry about at a pick up than to have a stranger show up and start checking out their equipment without explaining what they are doing.

This type of behavior does nothing but promote ill-will between operators and FDCC. Terry should know this by now.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
When I have observed Terry in action he often waits while the driver is backing into the dock and he waits while they let down the dolly legs. While he is waiting he walks down the off side of the trailer or truck looking over the truck until the driver is free to speak. Then he usually introduces himself but in this instance something could have been different.

There is another post on here about a team getting hit with CSA points that could have been avoided. Terry checks things that drivers do not often think about such as the U-Bolts that hold the box on the frame. These bolts work loose and it is not something that is usually checked. He picks up on odd things that many of us overlook but a DOT officer who is wanting to give a driver a ticket he will pickup on. One that is a good example to me is we have to have a working license plate light on the back of our truck even though we do not have a license plate back there. In Missouri our tag has to be on the front. Without Terry's knowledge we had opened ourselves up for a citation.

I feels as if Terry has saved many trucks from getting an out of service citation and having to pay a maintenance truck to come to the scale instead of the truck being able to go into a shop. None of us like to be told that we have over looked something but we prefer Terry tell us then a LEO.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Terry's always done right by us. We try to run really good equipment and he caught us getting alittle complacent in our pretrips. I challenged him on an equipment question and he gave me an answer that would probably win alot of bar bets. Anyway, he's sometimes good for latest info AND a free lunch at Fed's expense. We actually look for him.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Wow that is a really amazing OOIDA Number awesome.

Not only is Terry usually good for a lunch or breakfast we always learn something from him, either on how to interact with FedEx easier, better ways to handle our paperwork, or goofy little got ya's that can happen at a scale house.

Another one that I was very guilty of has been to leave my drivers license as well as my medical card in the truck and not carrying it with me. Another one was to go into the scale house and leave my driving glasses in the truck. There are tons of these little things and also the big ones that Terry is very aware of.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have had several encounters with Terry on the road. All have been pleasant and he always conducts himself in a professional manner.

One time I was in the sleeper, with the curtain closed. He did not approach the truck, and after a few minutes drove away. Cant wish for more than respecting your sleep time.

Terry is out there to help us. Sometimes we cant see the forest for the trees. It is nice to have one of ours out there, instead of someone who has never driven anything but a desk.

Last edited:

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Recently I was failed on a DOT inspection at a T/A in Tonapah for lack of reflective tape on my box doors. I mentioned it to Terry during a conversation and he immediately cited the regulation "not requiring same" -got Mr smarty pants at the T/A straightened out pretty quick.
I have had a few meets with Terry and he has been and is a class act.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Terry has always been da gone good ever since we ran across each other in St Louis. We may spend only a few min talking but he is a welcome sight. He knows how to make a person feel good if there haven a bad day or week. He does more than log books pens and bills of ladden. Sorce of good information and the inside scoupe on new changes comming down the pipe line. Personaly I like the guy and I welcome any inspection he does. Two sets of eyes are better than one set. He will keep ya out of trouble. Terry My hats off to ya and a double salute to ya!!!! Terry Godspeed & Bravo Zulu!!! Outstanding JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

skipr4520

Seasoned Expediter
I have heard of him but haven't had the pleasure of meeting him yet. Is he the same one who we can get supplies that we need from? How do we find out where he is so we can get the supplies that we run out of (if he is one in the same)?